Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Sylvain (Jon)
Stars Chaser

Awesome dedication Alex, thumbs up
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM
WestAusChris (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
When looking for them, use your lowest power first. Scan the area with your eye, looking for a small fuzzy patch. You will notice that this patch of light catches the corner of your eye, but when you focus on this patch, IT DISAPPEARS!
I wondered what that was, was sitting outside the other night scanning the sky with my eyes and kept seeing them and thought they were clouds.

Thankyou for the tip Alex, now i will be outside looking for as may galaxies as i can find
Old 30-11-2010, 10:26 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Have a go at the December & January Challenge

Hello again,

I've made the Challenge this month to cover both December and January this time around. I can see a few complications coming up that will make a separate January Challenge neigh impossible to compile:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=68833

This Challenge is divided into two parts. The first looks to celebrate Australia's first great, and one of the Southern Skies great astronomers, James Dunlop. The second fills out the two month span of this challenge by offering other gems and one distinct challenge that will test the skill of every single observer.

James Dunlop

Dunlop discovered over 600 objects in the Southern Sky from the observatory that was set up near Government House out in Parramatta in Sydney's west. The telescope he used was a 9" speculum mirror reflector, whose quality would be compareable to a contemporary 6" scope. This makes just about all his object discoveries within range of most amateur sized scopes!

Fellow IIS member, glenc, has done a lot of work on the life of James Dunlop and his astronomical work. Part of glenc's PhD involved James Dunlop! The selection of targets that are listed in this part of the challenge come from those discovered by James Dunlop. Glen has selected targets from open clusters, globular clusters to individual galaxies and through to a cluster of galaxies that numbers more than one dozen.

Part II, Gems of the summer sky, and one real dozzie!

This section contains a few targets that are easier to acquire than some of the ones listed in the first section.

I've also included one bugger that will test the quality of your scope, eyes, skill and quality of your dark sky site - the Horsehead Nebula.

The Horsey is one of the most distinct photographs of the astronomical world. Yet it is one of the most difficult objects to observe. Reputedly seen in a 6" scope, but most folk can struggle to see it in a 16" scope, and using filters! I'm hoping to see it this summer too for the first time!

I've also included a few tips and links to sites that will help with tracking down, seeing and making the most of your scope, eyes and time.

Have a go at the Challenge. It isn't a competition. Just a selection of targets to get you outside into the cool night air, discover new gems or reacquiant yourself with old fav's. Questions are welcome, as are target suggestions for the current Challenge or even for future Challenges. I most welcome the input.

Mental.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Feb. Challenge up and running

Hi all,

Not sure what is up in the sky at this time of the year?

Like some ideas on targets to chase down?

Like to ask for some particular type of object to find in your scope?

Have a look at the monthly Observation Challenge!

This February's Challenge takes a naked eye look at one of the oldest constellation groupings and how they related to the seasons and eachother. Scope targets range from easy to see to one of the most difficult targets to see in the whole sky.

Naked eye targets

There are 88 official constellations in the sky. Other than those located deep in the Southern Sky whose origins are less than 400 years old, the majority have their origins in antiquity. And many of them have the same significance in many different ancient cultures.

The group of constellations surrounding and including Orion are amongst the oldest. For many ancient cultures, not only the "object" the constellation describes is important, but also the star's brightness and colour play important roles.

Scope targets

The targets suggested this month cover a wide variety of deep sky objects types, including nebula and their associated star clusters, a galaxy, open clusters, planetary nebulae, a globular cluster, and one of the oldest known super nova remnants whose age is precisely known.

This thread is also open to further target nominations too. Not just a specific object, but you are most welcome to ask for suggestions of other objects of the same type that are currently nominated. Some target too faint for your scope? Why not ask for a brighter one within reach of your scope!

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=71322

Mental.
Old 16-07-2012, 09:19 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

July Obs' Challenge

Hi all,

It's been a while since the monthly observing challenge had been prepared, so here's a new installment.

This month I'm hoping to do a joint effort with Suzy. My task has been to make a note on some of the observing "tricks" that are used to make the most of our gear. It doesn't matter if its just your eyeball, binos or a 40" monster dob, you will benefit from a little knowledge.

The few targets I've selected are just to give some pointers on where to aim your scope for some target practice with these tips. I'm hoping Suzy will add more to the mix with her own inimatable flair.

Here's a link to July's Obs' Challenge in the Observational and Visual forum.

If you would like some more targets, have a question, need some more pointers, even suggest your own targets or share an experience, please do.

Mental.

Last edited by mental4astro; 16-07-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: title addition
Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

July 2013's Challenge

Hi all,

Hmmm, damn, it's been a whole year since The Challenge was last issued. Well, here's a new one. This time we delve into the occult.

Dark nebulosity permeates the entire Universe. In fact, there is more matter not contained in stars than there actually is in the stars. Much of this is seen as ghostly shadows that obscure much our view of our home galaxy, the Milky Way. Most of this matter will never be used to form new stars and planets, just floating in interstellar space. But some will seed the formation of new stars.

Dark pillars are one from of dark nebulae. These shield our view of proto stars - stars that have not quite reached "maturity" to have their nuclear fire started. Sure, not strictly dark nebulae, dark pillars still obscure their background, so for the purposes of The Challenge, are part of "the occult".

You'll find the July 2013 Challenge here. Naked eye, for binoculars, and for telescopes - you'll find something for each.

Mental.
Old 14-05-2015, 06:28 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Are these suitable for any year? Or only the ones stated?
Old 14-05-2015, 07:02 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Billi
Deep sky objects will always be visible at the same time of year. So these challenges will work well. The only drawback is that a small scope like your will struggle on the fainter objects, but definitely worthwhile having a go at the brighter ones.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 14-05-2015, 07:04 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Billi
Deep sky objects will always be visible at the same time of year. So these challenges will work well. The only drawback is that a small scope like your will struggle on the fainter objects, but definitely worthwhile having a go at the brighter ones.

Cheers

Malcolm
I'm only going to do the easy ones
Old 23-05-2015, 09:37 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks Mal!

Yes in deed, while I haven't created a new Challenge in some time, the ones that are posted are always current for the month each pertains to for each and every year. That was part of the reason why I started this thread in the Beginners Forum. I knew I wouldn't be able to create a new Challenge every month, but they would still be current for the month they were posted for.

Remember, The Challenge is NOT a competition! The Challenge is for yourself to work through. There are a range of objects that go from naked eye, some easy and some harder, through to objects that will suck your eyeballs out with their elusiveness. This also includes objects that are bright and eady to find, but even these present increasing levels of detail to spy out as aperture and observation experience increades.

In the time since my last Challenge I've seen new wonders and introduced to many others. I'll look to produce a new Challenge shortly.

If you have any questions about objects listed, suggestions, further objects, or anything at all, please ask.

Cheers,

Mental.