Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

New guests in the yard

I discovered today that we have two new residents in our courtyard garden, two young blue tongue lizards. It's a pity I haven't got a digital camera to show them off.
I was only commenting to Kee the other day that it was strange that there was no snails around after all the rains, now we know why and they can stay as long as they want to.
When we move to the farm later in the year I'll take them with me where they have 2½ acres of Eucalypt forest to live in as well as a ¼ acre vege garden to keep clear of snails.

Cheers
Old 02-03-2007, 09:49 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

yup, blueys are pretty cool
Old 02-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

You can watch them for hours, they have great personalities. It's also the sign of a healthy garden as well, everything is in balance with no added chemicals.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Dujon
SKE

Love the blue-tongues, how can you not. I had one wander around my feet one day when I was working in my workshop; frightened the whatsit out of me until I saw his/her feet.

Fortunately they still reside around my place. I saw one a couple of weeks ago. It was probably (I was viewing from my back balcony) around 18" long and very rotund.

Long may they live.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

I've been told that the darker their skin is then the older they are. We have one at the farm who is boot polish black and about 18" long as well, must be a real old timer.

Cheers
Old 03-03-2007, 07:54 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

We found one on the farm a couple years back..think a bird might of tried to make off with it and dropped it on its head .. put it under a tree (winter) and left it there it was still there 3 months later !!.. took it home and the kids fed it for a couple of years ..Forest passed on last x-mass.. lovely reptile ..they do bite very hard though
Old 03-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

The funniest thing to watch is our cat who has no interest in them at all. He was nipped by a big one when he was young and he hasn't forgotten.
He prefers to sleep and keep one eye on them and as soon as they get within his personal space as it was he just gets up and finds a new spot further away.