Old 18-01-2021, 03:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Telstra grizzle

So I pay my account by bankers order, that account I am running down, it stayed open only for Telstra..so I am thinking I will close that account but pay a month or two to keep organised...I am carrying a lot of cash waiting for the new card to arrive...

So I turn up at Telstra Lismore..damn sign preventing easy access as I had my shopping trolley..virus thing andctheconly place in Limore with such which maybe points for them..I wait..a girl comes over...I want to pay my bill.."Oh I can give you an appointment for 2 and a half hours from now..maybe two...

I want to pay a bill, I am leaving town, I come in once a month like I cant wait two hours..meat and fish get to fridge I am thinking...

." you could do it on line"

yeh I know that but at the moment I dont have a card with cash on it...( long story plenty of money but I am waiting on a new card having changed things a bit)...

You could go to the post office and pay there...

Now I find something very wrong if you front any supplier and they say we can't take your money...

What is wrong with the manager?

Is it me being unreasonable..please tell me if I am missing something...I know we pay over the net but to have a shop front and not be able to accept immediate payment seems that whoever is managing needs immediate retirement.

I am so angry I am thinking of a YouTube video...

Alex
Old 18-01-2021, 04:10 PM
glend (Glen)

Just wait for the new card, they don't take long, and Telstra is unlikely to cut you off, they will roll the balance owing over to the next scheduled payment. It takes alot of neglect to get cutoff, and it is an essential service. I forget to pay my Telstra mobile account all the time, it always rolls over, they don't even email me.
Don't stress about it Alex.
Old 18-01-2021, 04:10 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I think they are there to sell you a phone/plan Alex and not much else .

Storefronts in the city stores seem to have more people if the lismore one is anything like ballina they generally look empty on the staffing side of things .
Old 18-01-2021, 06:17 PM
doppler (Rick)

Most of the Telstra shops are just franchise shops aka "licenced Telstra dealers", receiving a commission to sell plans, they can't do much else in regards with your service or account.
Old 18-01-2021, 08:33 PM
TrevorW

They probably don't know how to process a cash payment probably don't even have the facility to accept cash eg; needs to go in a safe before being taken to bank at end of day etc etc, times have changed alas everything virtually online even buying my lunch at work the assistant looks stunned when I pay them in cash.
Old 18-01-2021, 11:29 PM
glend (Glen)

There has also been a big move away from cash payments in the Covid era, as the virus can exist on our plastic money for some time. Cash movement dropped significantly early last year and many businesses just want EFT now. I sold a few things for cash last year and promptly washed the bills in disinfectant and hung them on the dish rack to dry.. then again I was pretty paranoid about it back in April/ May 2020.
Old 19-01-2021, 02:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
There has also been a big move away from cash payments in the Covid era, as the virus can exist on our plastic money for some time. Cash movement dropped significantly early last year and many businesses just want EFT now. I sold a few things for cash last year and promptly washed the bills in disinfectant and hung them on the dish rack to dry.. then again I was pretty paranoid about it back in April/ May 2020.
Laundering cash is illegal.

But certainly cash has health concerns...that's why I get rid of it as fast as I can...

Alex
Old 19-01-2021, 03:30 PM
TrevorW

The belief that Australian banknotes coins etc carry the bug are somewhat exaggerated, I believe its another attempt designed to encourage people to move away from cash, our polymer banknotes are one of the cleaner banknotes used around the world.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/h...sh_1684553.htm
Old 19-01-2021, 04:21 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

I use OzPost credit cards, no link to your bank accounts and you can't overspend. Credits last 2 years from memory...

And yes, Covid is just an excuse to push us to cashless payments.

But to be fair you have no idea how much money business spend sending in and receiving coins/notes in transport costs to balance what they receive and need.

Ps. 1litre of petrol generators 8kilo of carbon, we transport millions of kilo's of coins around every year in heavily armored vehicles. Fair enough they run on diesel, but compared to how often EFTpos is down in a year, its little grips like that that will keep us back.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 19-01-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 19-01-2021, 04:23 PM
TrevorW

and when the system crashes how do you trade ???
Old 20-01-2021, 08:09 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
and when the system crashes how do you trade ???
When the Sun reminds us that it is god as far as our electronics are concerned folk may start to think cash is not such a bad idea.

I was going to start day trading on the Australian Stock Exchane but it occurred to me, given the nature of the sport, that you could be ruined if having decided to make a sale or purchase ( which is as important as selling if you are short selling or averaging) you go to make your transaction and the system is down...back up 30 minutes later could see you very much worse off.

I recall once in Tabby at the local shop, I want petrol and stuff...sorry lines are down no net..not problem I don't need my card as I have cash...sorry can't take cash ...blah blah..computer book keeping stuff downloads some place...can't you write it down..sure if the staff could write...well not that but the message was if we went manual it would be a mess....and just think that's a small town but I expect if " the lines are down" whatever you won't be shopping at Woolies either....

Alex
Old 25-01-2021, 09:23 AM
leee (Thomas)

re-

Not to say "Anything is possible" - but the worry about 'catching' a Respiratory virus ( such as Covid 19 ) from an inanimate object - such as A plastic card, a table top etc. is extremely rare. Unless of course the table top or card is very wet, very fresh with spittle, or mucus recently deposited on same. I would worry much more about the individual in front of me. Trying to 'help' me.
Old 30-01-2021, 08:59 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Interestingly enough with the move away from cash (and this does diverge slightly from the original intent of the thread, my apologies...) a friend of mine recently went to apply for a car loan. Due to the approach of using a card instead of cash, the bank were able to view his complete run of purchases recently, and used it to question his spending habits with a view of possibly failing to adhere to the loan repayments, based on what the card useage showed.

Big brother may not be watching, but he's certainly got his ear to the ground.
Old 30-01-2021, 11:01 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Seems like you have saved yourself $2.00 Alex. If you had paid by cash at their so-called retail service centre, your next bill would have a $2.00 fee appended to it for "non online payment". Just so's ya knows..............and the reason for the appointment in 2hrs? That's when the person who knows how to work out change was due back. I recently had the temerity to pay by cash at a well known grocery outlet, and the register operator had trouble counting out the change, even though the register showed her the exact amount to generate. (And I remember being caned at school for sneaking a calculator in!)