Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-11-2021, 12:06 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

How many people still use cash

I will put my hand up for being a devotee of using Cash particularly for transactions below $20. I find it annoying that places like Woolies are pushing a cashless society through limiting the number of Cash self serve checkouts.

Now before anyone uses the argument that Cashless transactions are cleaner given the current climate just think about the fact that a lot of people use their phones for cashless transactions and a study showed that a lot of people take their phones into the toilet with them.
Old 17-11-2021, 12:13 PM
TrevorW

I do and the reason being is that we do not have flawless internet (and the COVID excuse is just bull****e)
Old 17-11-2021, 12:22 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Prefer cash payment, but will use card if no option.

Everything is ' traceable ' when using a card ....they know your movements where ever you go....if I went to another town and bought Petrol or stopped at a Cafe for lunch ...institutions like my Bank know I was in that town....and if the Cops were after me , it would be easy as pie to locate my latest location or whereabouts ....!!

If just cash, who knows where I am ....

Col...
Old 17-11-2021, 12:39 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post

Everything is ' traceable ' when using a card ....they know your movements where ever you go....if I went to another town and bought Petrol or stopped at a Cafe for lunch ...institutions like my Bank know I was in that town....and if the Cops were after me , it would be easy as pie to locate my latest location or whereabouts ....!!

Col...
So Agent C ... are you going to put on the last suit you'll ever wear?

https://youtu.be/nK5VqPm8uWE
Old 17-11-2021, 12:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Does not worry me...but funny only last week I had to buy some slippers as the ones I had on were getting too tight as my feet kept swelling...nothing fitted the bill until I found the perfect pair for my situation...$2-00...reach in my pocket but no change..no cash in my wallet..so I bought it on my card..the up side was the salesperson asked if I would like a bag after I had paid with the card...I said yes and offerred my card..they said ..just have it.

Alex
Old 17-11-2021, 01:54 PM
glend (Glen)

It will not be long until you will be charged a premium for paying with cash. Cash required handling, banking etc. and these have costs associated with them. For a business, electronic is a better choice. Cash is also a haven for criminals, looking to escape scrutiny, but even there the Cash Transaction Reporting Act requires banks and businesses to report all transactions above $10,000.
There are stories that the Reserve Bank is concerned about the disappearance of $50 and $100 notes, with a common theory that retirees are hording them to escape Centrelink scrutiny of their bank accounts. Anyone on a pension or part-pension knows all to well the level of disclosure required.
Cash will be phased out eventually, and just as with our old currency, eventually they will cease being legal tender.
Old 17-11-2021, 02:43 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I was stubborn for a long while about switching to waving the card ...looking back having and getting cash on hand was a royal pain in the butt.. now i never use cash unless i have to.. I have a friend who still refuses to have a card and only uses his passbook to make cash withdrawls.
Old 17-11-2021, 03:32 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Quote:

Col...
You are being paranoid, Col!

Whether you use cash or card, it is very easy to trace where you are and where you have been. CCTV is another big one and so is your mobile phone. Detective work is far more advanced these days than ever. You cannot hide forever.
Old 17-11-2021, 03:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Talk of paranoid..someone I wont name or tell the relationship because I am embarrassed..says..no way I am putting in the census form ..I dont want them knowing this and that... Honestly does he really think they care and if they really were interested in his affairs etc they would not use a census form but other "methods"...heck just the tax man knows more about you than you know about yourself..I said to a tax guy one day.." I bet I could leave my tax form blank and you could fill it in better than I could"..he said " yes but dont tell anyone"...

Heck if someone in Government wants to know about me I would be flattered and no doubt bore them senseless as i told them all.

The cops paid me a visit once to look at my guns..I wouldnt let them leave ..chat chat...and you could tell they wanted out..and sadly they never ever came back...
Alex
Old 17-11-2021, 03:56 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Talk of paranoid..someone I wont name or tell the relationship because I am embarrassed..says..no way I am putting in the census form ..I dont want them knowing this and that... Honestly does he really think they care and if they really were interested in his affairs etc they would not use a census form but other "methods"...heck just the tax man knows more about you than you know about yourself..I said to a tax guy one day.." I bet I could leave my tax form blank and you could fill it in better than I could"..he said " yes but dont tell anyone"...

Heck if someone in Government wants to know about me I would be flattered and no doubt bore them senseless as i told them all.

The cops paid me a visit once to look at my guns..I wouldnt let them leave ..chat chat...and you could tell they wanted out..and sadly they never ever came back...
Alex
Whilst filling up at the BP station today I saw a sign saying they know exactly what oil my car should be using based on my registration ... spooky ... the Government knows everything
Old 17-11-2021, 04:29 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I went to buy a car of a private sale he other week.
The guy wouldn't wait till the money cleared the banking system
to go into his account even though it would be in his account at 3 O'clock that afternoon.
I could have done the transfer in front of his face but he wanted cash or no sale.
Who carries thousands of dollars in cash around in their pocket ?
I was over a hundred kilometres from home
I drove away empty handed.
I know someone will say why not pay with a bank check?
I didn't know if the car was suitable so was not going to get a bank cheque
made out in his name and not buy it.
I was not a happy chappie.
Cheers
Old 17-11-2021, 04:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Ron if he wanted cash he probably would not take a bank cheque ... It sounds as if he did not want it to go into his bank account..mmm there are many reasons why....anyways look on the bright side you got to have a drive and you saved a lot of money.
Alex
Old 17-11-2021, 05:59 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
I went to buy a car of a private sale he other week.
The guy wouldn't wait till the money cleared the banking system
to go into his account even though it would be in his account at 3 O'clock that afternoon.
I could have done the transfer in front of his face but he wanted cash or no sale.
Who carries thousands of dollars in cash around in their pocket ?
I was over a hundred kilometres from home
I drove away empty handed.
I know someone will say why not pay with a bank check?
I didn't know if the car was suitable so was not going to get a bank cheque
made out in his name and not buy it.
I was not a happy chappie.
Cheers
You did the right thing. That seems like a dodgy deal.
Old 17-11-2021, 06:40 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
You are being paranoid, Col!

Whether you use cash or card, it is very easy to trace where you are and where you have been. CCTV is another big one and so is your mobile phone. Detective work is far more advanced these days than ever. You cannot hide forever.
Ah Yes ..CCTV ....I'll just wear a hoodie and my MIB dark sun glasses.

As for my Mobile ....I'll just wrap it up in tin foil ....
Old 17-11-2021, 06:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
You did the right thing. That seems like a dodgy deal.
Agreed..but take from him one thing..he wanted it a certain way and did not compromise..we can all learn from that...we can critize his attitude and behaviour but he is doing what he wants.

These days I get it all my way or bail out and do something else.

Like that red car.. absolutely everything was right and if only one thing was outta place I would have walked away..well hobbled away.
Alex
Old 17-11-2021, 06:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Ah Yes ..CCTV ....I'll just wear a hoodie and my MIB dark sun glasses.

As for my Mobile ....I'll just wrap it up in tin foil ....
I wear this so as not to be noticed.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20211106_171110.jpg)
26.5 KB48 views
Old 17-11-2021, 08:16 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
I will put my hand up for being a devotee of using Cash particularly for transactions below $20. I find it annoying that places like Woolies are pushing a cashless society through limiting the number of Cash self serve checkouts.

Now before anyone uses the argument that Cashless transactions are cleaner given the current climate just think about the fact that a lot of people use their phones for cashless transactions and a study showed that a lot of people take their phones into the toilet with them.
Have drawn cash out of the ATM once since June and that was to pay the beer fairy who brings me the occasional slab of beer from our local brewer

Even the busker in the Domain car park walkway uses “square” for tapping donations. I only know his name because it pops up each week on my credit card statement…
Old 17-11-2021, 10:28 PM
AdamJL

What is cash?
Old 18-11-2021, 06:38 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is cheaper to get a five cent coin and drill a hole in it to make a washer than to buy a washer at Bunnings of the same size which costs 17 cents.
So sure there is an incentive to use cash.
Alex
Old 18-11-2021, 01:46 PM
glend (Glen)

This is timely, the ABC had a story about cash hoarders today:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...emic/100628486

Hmm, now the crims know where to look.