Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-11-2021, 10:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

It's gotten to the point where several of us have an informal trading/selling circle (mainly Tak stuff) of contacts and we keep it within that. No one tries to low ball, no one sends insulting offers.
Old 17-11-2021, 10:54 PM
pgc hunter

I've purchased new items in the last year from the US and UK that I've not only gotten far cheaper landed to my door than had I bought locally, but at similar prices to those asked for similar items in the classifieds.
Old 18-11-2021, 06:21 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Something like a 10” F4 truss Newtonian is going to have a much smaller demand due to the fact it requires a buyer with:
1. Imaging as their main pursuit
2. hefty mount
3. ability to lift it onto the mount
4. Observatory?
Also there is the cost of freighting such a scope thousands of kilometres unless one lives in Perth……

Now if Trevor had been advertising a 4” refractor for 60% of new price….
Old 18-11-2021, 06:46 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

There must be someone reading this thread who sees a fantastic opportunity and buys this scope and saves a bundle.
I must say I am very tempted but the reason I dont buy it is the same reason as Trevor is selling..too many scopes.
AND Matt is correct in my view. There is a new wave of astro photographers appearing it seems due to ZWOs cameras and Asiair and small refractors, Red Cat an obvious favorite.
Alex
Old 18-11-2021, 08:37 AM
Hemi

I think if an attractive item is priced “fairly” it would sell.

Astro equipment is often expensive, saving 10% (or even 20%) is not enough to justify the risks over buying new.

I won’t buy anything used unless it’s 25-50% off, unless it’s a difficult to obtain item.

I also think that some people fail or don’t want to consider that we are in a global market. Astro is so small in Australia that you have to consider purchasing from overseas. Once you start buying stuff not available here from overseas, you start buying stuff that is, because it can be much cheaper.

There’s an EP in the classifieds that’s about $75 cheaper than Australian vendor retail prices, but almost the same price as new shipped from the US. It’s a lose, lose. I’d rather pay the extra locally for new and risk free, or save $75 for new from overseas.

Of course ideally I would buy the ep for 25% off US retail, but that might be considered “a low ball” offer. I rarely make offers or buy from the classified now.
Old 18-11-2021, 09:39 AM
alpal

I would consider selling my equipment if I could get a reasonable price.
I am just not using it -
I haven't used it for 4 years.
It is a big job to set it all up and we've had too many cloudy nights.

The last time was January 31, 2017 here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/247194...in/photostream

The last time I advertised my old Newt -
a 10" f6 I didn't get even one reply here at Ice in Space and
I was offering it at 1/3 rd of the cost I paid.

My latest Newt is a carbon fiber 10" f4 -
that cost me a fortune but I bet people would want it for nothing -
the same with the mount and mono camera.

People should bear that in mind when they buy astro equipment.
Unless you buy a high end refractor
Astro Physics, Takahashi, TMB -
it's almost a certainty
that it will be a total loss when you ever want to sell it.
Old 18-11-2021, 10:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Astro is not too bad..try moto cross ( or most forms of racing) you buy a new bike for the season and almost give it away before you buy the new one for the next season...its racing and last years model will not be as good as the new model...and a seasons racing leaves the bike rather tired even with constant rebuilds.
Anyways if all you can think about is money and recouping your money maybe it is your attitude that is the problem. You dont go on a world trip and try to recover the outlay by selling photos of the trip or conducting a speaking tour...basic economics says there are basically two types of goods..Capital Goods ( money makers) and Consumer Goods ( to be consumed without financial return) guess how an economist would define astronomy gear...
Alex
Alex
Old 18-11-2021, 10:30 AM
pgc hunter

Hemi hit the nail on the head. A lot of the prices in recent times in the classifieds have been a joke. There is a reason why it's dead jim.

The amount I have saved by buying used before this virus, and then new from the US and UK over local, is almost comical.

There appears to be price hikes on new gear aswell, really, did a 2" UHC/OIII really jump from $299 to $369 at Bintel? Glad I bought my 2" Lumicon OIII last year for US $160. Big increase in US prices too lately.

Last edited by pgc hunter; 18-11-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 18-11-2021, 10:38 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
It's gotten to the point where several of us have an informal trading/selling circle (mainly Tak stuff) of contacts and we keep it within that. No one tries to low ball, no one sends insulting offers.
Getting an offer is part of negotiations and handled correctly we see a fair price achieved so to take an offer as an insult is rather an odd attitude.

An offer indicates interest from a potential buyer.

People make offers based on their view of value so why take it as an insult?

I recall making you what I believed was a fair offer on a 80 mm refractor which you did not accept...did you regard my offer as an insult?

I dont care of course what you thought but my offer was based entirely on various things relevant to me and certainly not in any way to see you recover on your "investment"...why should it be otherwise?
Alex
Old 18-11-2021, 11:26 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

I have bought most of my astro gear second hand on IIS and my experiences have been almost entirely positive. I have never made an offer and have always paid marked price. If I can't afford it then I can't afford it and I won't try low-balling; I don't want to be that sort of person. I also have (or had) a shopping list to which I try to stick. [There have been a couple of impulsive ep purchases but nothing much.] So I am willing to sit and wait until the desired item comes up for sale and, in the case of scopes and mounts, within reasonable driving distance. As part of that process I used to read just about every classified add so I would know the right item at a reasonable price when I saw it. I still view many adds just out of interest.

Looking back, I wonder if I ever ignored an add because I felt the item was overpriced? (as opposed to the price being reasonable but out of my range) It may have happened but I can't recall it - but then I probably wouldn't.

These days I have all the scopes and eps I need ... OK just one or two more eps and so I'm not in the market. I see nice gear on the classifieds but I can't buy because the cupboard is already full. I suspect a great number of IIS members are in the same situation. I wonder whether much of the difficulty in shifting astro gear is due to market saturation?
Old 18-11-2021, 12:02 PM
beren

This SW scene comes to mind
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (09970168-6425-42A4-8B00-5596AF31DAAE.jpeg)
42.2 KB56 views
Old 18-11-2021, 12:20 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post

That's what I have encounted in the past , several members ask each other , have you got one of these for sale or swap ( within that particular group )....they trust each other so much, that the goods are posted prior to payment or payment arrangements are agreed between the seller and buyer ) ....I've been privileged to be part of business with other IIS Members in this way.

Who I thank dearly for their ' trust ' in me.

Col...
Old 18-11-2021, 12:22 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beren View Post
This SW scene comes to mind
Old 18-11-2021, 12:22 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

The second hand market on IIS is feeding my addiction ... I now have 27 eyepieces and I really don't know why.
Old 18-11-2021, 12:24 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
The second hand market on IIS is feeding my addiction ... I now have 27 eyepieces and I really don't know why.
Sell, Sell, Sell EOFY ....!!
Old 18-11-2021, 01:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
You like them so who cares if you use them... I have just ordered my third cigarette lighter and I dont smoke... I like them and will probably het more.
Alex

Mmm I am still wondering about the implications of Davids comment....

I won't try low-balling; I don't want to be that sort of person.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
That's what I have encounted in the past , several members ask each other , have you got one of these for sale or swap ( within that particular group )....they trust each other so much, that the goods are posted prior to payment or payment arrangements are agreed between the seller and buyer ) ....I've been privileged to be part of business with other IIS Members in this way.

Who I thank dearly for their ' trust ' in me.

Col...
Reminds me of my mothers antique group they bought and sold to each other and never noticed the antique market crashed until members of the group started dieing off and as a consequence their market shrunk.

And that is why I have a stack of antiques that I will never get the money back on and cant sell because I know what they cost.

But they all massaged each others egos that this was great or rare or whatever and sold back and forth...someone would sell and others would buy so the seller could buy yet another item..it was like a bank..but no one could see that they were out of touch... but outside the market had moved on...And they all thought that they owned all the antiques in the world ... but really they did not own it all ..there was heaps of stuff just that they rarely went to the open market buying from friends or relations..never working with the open market and paying stupid money...Outside the group no one really cared about the rareness of this or that... I have thought of trying to find such a group so I can sell it cause on the open market not only will they not pay a decent price but they just dont want it..and so it sits there.

Just remember the last one standing loses...how I wish they had put the money in CBA shares...but people kid themselves..buy shares..the price appears daily and you can sell when you decide to sell.

Alex

Last edited by RB; 07-03-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 18-11-2021, 01:46 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
You like them so who cares if you use them... I have just ordered my third cigarette lighter and I dont smoke... I like them and will probably het more.
Alex
Yes .. they are my Precious
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Precious.jpg)
6.5 KB22 views
Old 18-11-2021, 02:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Here is my precious...its the only one I own so its very rare.
But it just does not work as when wearing it people can still see me....the chain holds the ring on as it is way too big...I expect to grow into it.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20211118_141227_resize_26.jpg)
70.2 KB74 views
Old 25-11-2021, 12:34 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Ryderscope recently advertised an FSQ. Members and moderators should take note of this particular thread as it represents truly a precise, an informative, and genuine offer for sale, which reads as all ads should. (Thank you Rodney)

We are constantly becoming presented with threads with terms such as "EOI" and "lowballers", etc. If you're going to advertise something for sale, then do so. If you're wanting to sell something, then sell it. I don't want to have to read your reasons for selling it, it has little relevance to me. As for EOI ads, its a telescope, not a block of units in the CBD or a shopping centre you're selling, it's a bloody telescope. As for the terms "lowballers", etc, simply have the common decency to say "no offers please" and leave it at that. It's a forum for the sale of equipment, not a platform for self aggrandisement.

Some people have misconceptions as to the actual value of what they are advertising, and what they may achieve at resale. This is also compounded by the fact they may have bought without proper consideration and consultation - the end result a massive dose of the regrets.

Astronomy gear, so varied, so complex, but like any other thing, it's only a commodity to be bought and sold.
Old 25-11-2021, 07:34 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

I don't see an issue with the used market at all. Selling things here recently has been smooth sailing for me and I think buyers have been happy.

Maybe we're asking too much for our second hand gear. We buy a scope, use it for possibly hundreds of hours and then complain about losing $1000 on what we paid? Pro-rate your loss into dollars per hour of enjoyment and compare that to just about any other activity that you enjoy doing.

also, people need to be aware of the new gear market... comparing asking price to Bintel or other locals is folly, especially for high end stuff