Old 23-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Hemi

How much sky?

I have a sky shed pod, set up on a first floor verandah in my house. The house is to one side. My horizons are 25deg from SE to SW, and about 40deg everywhere else.

I’m thinking of building a roll of in my small garden. But the horizons would be even more restrictive. I’ve searched for hours without any good info about suitable and optimal horizons when considering an observatory site.

Any tips?

Cheers
Old 23-01-2021, 10:37 AM
glend (Glen)

Are you imaging? If so, as a general rule, imaging is best above 40 degrees in altitude (as your shooting through less atmo). In fact I never image below 40 degree. I will look visually down to 30, but there are always atmo wobbles that low. Consider as well that everything rises in the east or rotates about the SCP, so good views in that direction are ideal. I honestly would not worry about trees or whatever down at 25 degrees.i have trees across the street in front of my house, to the east, but they top out about 20 -25 degrees. You can get alot of imaging done from 40 degrees in the east through the meridian to the west.
Old 23-01-2021, 02:07 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hemi
I’m in the process of building my Obs ( NexDome ) at my retirement holiday home on the south coast
It’s going to sit on a raised deck 400mm in height from ground level
It’s incredible how much more sky I will have just by going up 400mm
I will now increase my eastern side by 10 deg , have a clear view to the south from 25 deg , clear the gum tree next door directly north and a view to the north west from 30 deg
In Sydney I have virtually no view to the south ( only south east ) , limited views to the north 60 deg up , limited views to the east 45 deg up and limited views north west , no view to the west ( basically I’m surrounded by 2 storey houses ) but I still manage to image a swag of objects , you just get less capture time
My place down south will be a joy to image from
Cheers
Martin
Old 23-01-2021, 06:18 PM
Hemi

Thanks Gents,

Gives me hope.
I’m mostly visual 70%, EAA 30%.
I’ll measure my horizons formally and post back.
I spent an inordinate amount of time arm chair stargazing, including a diploma in Astronomy. Then spent the next many yrs with a single scope, that mushroomed to two for the next few, and all of a sudden I’ve doubled that! Hence the want of a roomier roll off. I’ve got the option of setting up a site at a friends farm an hour away, bortle 3 as well.

Cheers
Old 02-05-2021, 07:51 AM
Hemi

So after more thought, the roll off has not progressed further, but SkySafari did clarify my thoughts/ understanding a bit more.

Essentially declination is a good perspective on assessing suitability for an observatory, when horizons are going to be a compromise at your potential locations.

Essential my spot has access to -90 to +30 (just) but with significant compromise East and west. So at some point of the year I should be able to observe anything within these declinations when they clear my east west horizons... its simple and obvious really. Doh!