Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-10-2021, 05:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

October, a lean month for Astro on the East Coast

There’s some big east coast lows pushing across Victoria and NSW since Monday so cloudy weather with some heavy showers at times along the coast
Forecast doesn’t look that good for the next week or so , especially around Sydney and south ( Saturday night might get a 4 hour window ? )
With the moon at 50% and full next week , looks like October is going to be a lean month on the Astro calendar
I was hoping to capture some more galaxies but that will have to wait until late October into November now
Shouldn’t complain , the country needs the rain
How’s it looking over in the West and way up north in QLD ??
Old 13-10-2021, 06:19 PM
Pepper (Steve)

Wet out here. Similar situation. No clear nights for the foreseeable future.
Old 14-10-2021, 06:23 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

La Nina this year

We've had thunderstorms here pass through between 3am and 5am.

I think 6 of the 7 indicators are pointing to La Nina again this year...

La Nina:

"The increased rainfall and cloudiness in the western Pacific associated with La Niña usually means above-average winter–spring rainfall for Australia, particularly across the east and north.

Unlike El Niño years, the impacts of La Niña often continue into the warm months. In eastern Australia, the average December-March rainfall during La Niña years is 20% higher than the long-term average,

The relationship between La Niña strength and rainfall is closely linked. The greater the sea surface temperature and SOI difference from normal, the larger the rainfall response"
Old 14-10-2021, 07:29 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Thunder storms in south central Vic last night too. The forecast keeps threatening to give me a half decent night now and again, but it only ever materialises on nights when I don't have time to set up.
Old 14-10-2021, 07:43 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Although I am wanting to do some astrophotography, particularly with my new set up nearly ready to go, I am rather happy if it just keeps raining as that means no bush fire and they are so scarey here I really dont mind the rain...but it helps make more fuel so things will be worse when the fires come again.
The very next project at the observatory is to rebuild the jetty reaching over the dam and place the new ( last year) fire pump directly over the water and hopefully distant enough from the bank so it cant be burnt in a fire...we need to set up a run out hose and a system to spray water on both the van and the observatory...when that is done perhaps I can focus on the main game.
Alex
Old 14-10-2021, 08:37 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Imaging session few and far in between in Sydney too but loving the rain. Everything is green and growing. Quite normal for the season. Take it all in while it lasts. Not looking forward to the next drought.
Old 14-10-2021, 09:30 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Imaging session few and far in between in Sydney too but loving the rain. Everything is green and growing. Quite normal for the season. Take it all in while it lasts. Not looking forward to the next drought.
^ this
Old 14-10-2021, 10:23 AM
Dave882 (David)

All these clouds are a good opportunity to go through all the data from last couple months of amazing lockdown weather. I literally just finished going through the last of my planetary videos and found what I think is the best capture of Saturn for the whole season tucked away from about 6wks ago!
Old 22-10-2021, 09:30 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Haven’t imaged since the 5th October due to the unstable weather we’ve been having lately. Tonight in Sydney is clear but unfortunately the humidity will be climbing to 90% by midnight and fog forming by 3am
The moon is low at dusk so I might get 3 hours on the Helix before the guiding goes haywire due to the heavy atmosphere
Anyone else imaging tonight ?
Old 22-10-2021, 09:59 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

It has been very variable and unpredictable here on a very small time scale which is the problem. If you can't get a reliable window of a few hours at least you're running a greater risk of a" sun shower" or even worse.
Old 22-10-2021, 11:24 AM
AdamJL

Yeah October is a write off for me. Maybe early November and a trip up to the mountains can improve things
Old 22-10-2021, 09:22 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Perfectly clear all afternoon and at 8.00pm when focused and framed up captured 2 subs on the Helix , totally clouded out by 8.40pm
Cloud Free Night had tonight clear until morning , Weather Zone had tonight clear with only up to 14% cloud between 9 and 12

Cloud as far as the eye can see ( mostly coastal cloud coming in from the north east ) Checked Satellite and yep coastal cloud

Shut down , packed up , covers on , cuppa tea and picked up a book to read

Definitely not a cloud free night
Old 22-10-2021, 09:36 PM
Dave882 (David)

Yep that came in quick! I thought I’d get some time with the binoviewers tonight… had it all ready to go and then full white-out. I’m still holding onto hope and keeping it setup for the moment
Old 22-10-2021, 11:09 PM
Venter (Michael)

Pretty much same experience here in North Sydney. Was planning on running some more tests with NINA sequencer. Looked good early evening, and then clouded up pretty quickly with no sign of improvement. Packed up, made some hot tea and settled down with a nice movie.
Old 23-10-2021, 01:22 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Still clear here on the South Coast - hope it holds for another hour as testing my new setup & need about another hour to complete Orion, my test subject. Very happy with what's coming up on screen so far...
Old 23-10-2021, 09:27 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Ha, the whole of 2021 has been a lean year for viewing from Cairns.
Old 23-10-2021, 10:48 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac0 View Post
Still clear here on the South Coast - hope it holds for another hour as testing my new setup & need about another hour to complete Orion, my test subject. Very happy with what's coming up on screen so far...
Orion season coming in

So excited!! Can't wait to try it again this year.
Old 23-10-2021, 10:55 AM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I was nearly tricked by Cloud Free Night into setting up last night. Luckily the full moon gave me pause and I decided against the whole thing. I looked outside at 9pm and the clouds were rolling in. I’ve probably brought it all on myself by buying all sorts of gear in the last few weeks to hook up an EAA rig
Old 23-10-2021, 12:35 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Perfectly clear all afternoon and at 8.00pm when focused and framed up captured 2 subs on the Helix , totally clouded out by 8.40pm
Cloud Free Night had tonight clear until morning , Weather Zone had tonight clear with only up to 14% cloud between 9 and 12

Cloud as far as the eye can see ( mostly coastal cloud coming in from the north east ) Checked Satellite and yep coastal cloud

Shut down , packed up , covers on , cuppa tea and picked up a book to read

Definitely not a cloud free night
Hi Martin and All

Had the same cloud problem down here as well, clear all day, set up after dinner and it clouded over despite the forecast. Being the patient type, watched TV for a while and checked the sky a few times and realised it was clearing after about 2 hours. Spent an enjoyable few hours observing and imaging the planets in reasonable seeing until they started getting lower in the west.
Living within walking distance of the beach does have its pros and cons
Old 23-10-2021, 01:01 PM
Astronovice (Calvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
Ha, the whole of 2021 has been a lean year for viewing from Cairns.
How true, clear days until 4pm and then the clouds roll in. Total frustration here.