Old 10-10-2021, 10:53 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Wish

I have been looking at the WISH on line shopping site..The prices seem too good to be true so I ask..Has anyone dealt with this place? Have you purchased something and how did you find the experience?
You need an app to shop..which I have..

Alex
Old 10-10-2021, 11:52 AM
sunslayr (David)

I would never recommend shopping on wish, basically everything is over priced trash or scams. If you want cheap imported stuff try a site like aliexpress. You will still have to keep your wits about you though due to poor translation or deliberately misleading descriptions but the site is more like ebay where the stores have a reputation and review rating to keep up. I think there is also some buyer protection features but I've never had to make use of them. The old saying "If it's to good to be true ..." definitely applies.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you very much David for confirming my suspicions..funny I nearly included your saying in my post.
Alex
Old 10-10-2021, 03:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

There is something on there that I may risk a go...a cute little monocular for $13 if I call correctly...
On the positive no one has come forward with a specific story of being stung...

AND... I dont know if they use Paypal?

If you buy by Paypal is that not supposed to protect you?

I am so new at online buying but so far my experience has bern wonderful.

I purchased a nice watch for about $80, and I expect to see it in K Mart or BigW for $20... but I really like it..AND I also purchased a nice pocket watch, more gold than gold but I have come round to liking its obvious not gold colour..but it has a cover at the front and back and you can see most of the mechanical workings on the inside...neat as.

Different vendors for each purchase but they swamped me with emails, thanking me for buying and what was going on etc..it was $120 I think...but so far a positive experience..I also have a lord of the rings ring coming..it eas cheap but I had the wanties for a ring so got it to stop buying an expensive one when I am sleep walking... it is black I think..not sure as I bought it when half asleep, also a wallet that scoundrels cant scan...maybe that is a con but I needed s new wallet and this is the only only I have seen in five years that I like...AND another watch...has a digital screen and tells your blood pressure, heart rate, how far you have walked, reminds you not to sit around...so its everything I need...and again another half asleep purchase ... a neat looking lighter with interesting mechanism and clear sides so you can see the lighter fluid...Dont have a use for it but I like the look of it...OH and there is that Hawaiian shirt with the square rigged ships...mmm I did not realise until trying to list them just how many things i have purchased... But really I have not spent much if I dont know the total...I dont usually spend money but this year with the big C news I have done a 180...ANYWAYS not much left now.

Alex
Old 10-10-2021, 03:58 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, where is Wish based? Some of these online discount brands, and there are many, do not actually have an Australian presence. Also check on how they deliver, and where they ship from. If it is anything coming out of China, you may be lucky to see it this year. And with the backlog in deliveries for standard parcel post, that is another concern.
Amazon Au is pretty good, and if your a Prime member their delivery service is excellent. As you know I have bought from Kogan in the past and their delivery was ok, but if you have a problem their call centre seems to be in India. Others like Catch, are basically a bureau service, where they have a wholesale supply deal for distribution of imported goods, but never actually handle the goods themselves. Some of kogan's stuff is also just sourced from third parties, they simply flip the order over to them and the third party ships to you.

Basically you take your chances.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex, where is Wish based? Some of these online discount brands, and there are many, do not actually have an Australian presence. Also check on how they deliver, and where they ship from. If it is anything coming out of China, you may be lucky to see it this year. And with the backlog in deliveries for standard parcel post, that is another concern.
Amazon Au is pretty good, and if your a Prime member their delivery service is excellent. As you know I have bought from Kogan in the past and their delivery was ok, but if you have a problem their call centre seems to be in India. Others like Catch, are basically a bureau service, where they have a wholesale supply deal for distribution of imported goods, but never actually handle the goods themselves. Some of kogan's stuff is also just sourced from third parties, they simply flip the order over to them and the third party ships to you.

Basically you take your chances.
I know nothing about anyone or anything but you reminded me about getting that three wheeler

I am pretty much over it all as nothing else appears that gets me even mildly interested...Although there is a nice long overcoat but it is big money ..$280 which frankly I wont risk ...AND after a certain delivery for the observatory very soon I wont have any time even to pick up parcels from the Post Office

All this buying is just not me..like I am so tight...I wont buy my favourite tea unless its on special...but funny the complete opposite with astronomy stuff.

AND I dont care how long any of this stuff takes..It becomes a greater surprise when you dont know what or when..I just want it to arrive but given my slack memory I probably wont notice if something does not turn up...like none of it is necessary really..although if the blood pressure watch works that will save me taking my blood pressure twice a day..it becomes a real drag.

Just a bit bored Glen..its because I have come back to the land of the living and whereas a month ago I was happy to lay in bed and sleep now I am wanting to do stuff...My legs have not caught up..so ..I sit around but my mind is racing.
Alex
Old 10-10-2021, 04:44 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Wish is selling the same stuff that Aliexpress is selling. I see very little reason buying on Wish. You can go straight to Aliexpress and buy the same stuff there and a bit cheaper.

Aliexpress does accept Paypal. Paypal has buyer protection. Also with Aliexpress you can always open a dispute and get a refund. Always check seller's rating on Aliexpress.

Shipping from China right now is quite reasonable. I'm usually getting everything within 2-3 weeks.

I probably won't buy a telescope on Aliexpress, but Explore Scientific eyepiece for $250 - no problems whatsoever. Did that before as well for many other items.

Another site is banggood.com - for some items they've got a warehouse here in Australia and therefore delivery is even faster.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
Wish is selling the same stuff that Aliexpress is selling. I see very little reason buying on Wish. You can go straight to Aliexpress and buy the same stuff there and a bit cheaper.

Aliexpress does accept Paypal. Paypal has buyer protection. Also with Aliexpress you can always open a dispute and get a refund. Always check seller's rating on Aliexpress.

Shipping from China right now is quite reasonable. I'm usually getting everything within 2-3 weeks.

I probably won't buy a telescope on Aliexpress, but Explore Scientific eyepiece for $250 - no problems whatsoever. Did that before as well for many other items.

Another site is banggood.com - for some items they've got a warehouse here in Australia and therefore delivery is even faster.
Thank you that is extremely helpful.
Alex
Old 11-10-2021, 12:43 PM
drylander (Peter)

I have used wish several times. They are based in LA and I have had stuff from Europe as well as china and if a problem arises the are quick to refund the total cost. Also if an item is 14 days past its estimated arrival date they will refund and if the item arrives after that its yours to keep.
I do check with other places for price ie aliexpress, bangood or evilbay but mostly its cheaper. My main purchases are electronic components and most seem ok.
Pete
Old 11-10-2021, 05:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Pete.
Alex
Old 12-10-2021, 03:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So I am giving AliExpress a go..a pocket watch for $4 and an overcoat ( for the observatory) for $25...this is putting the saying as to if its too good to be true etc...
Alex
Old 12-10-2021, 07:57 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
So I am giving AliExpress a go..a pocket watch for $4 and an overcoat ( for the observatory) for $25...this is putting the saying as to if its too good to be true etc...
Alex
A pocket watch and an overcoat, I am picturing you as a Time Lord. .

Your Observatory is your Tardis.
Old 13-10-2021, 12:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The pocket watch I recently purchased I have become most fond of..but if I can buy them at $4 I will end up with a draw full..and instead of giving, as I like to do, a bunch of flowers to the girls behind a counter, give them a nice $4 watch..cheaper than the flowers ...but after googling most expensive watches $60,000 is rather cheap..so do I get the watch or the sports car?.mmm buy the sports car and still $15000 left over...all of a sudden I dont feel my recent spending is anything to be ashamed about...care to guess how much for the most expensive watch?
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20211013_115349.jpg)
72.7 KB10 views
Old 13-10-2021, 02:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have just now received a few emails saying my cheap stuff is on its way..
So if these cheap goods arrive the question in my mind is how do they sell stuff so cheap ( mind you its not all cheap) as it seems inconceivable that in some cases they are breaking even...the only thoughts I have is maybe its " liquidated" stock..where someone has gone broke their stock sold for whatever it goes for and ofyen that sort of stuff can be very cheap..I dont know an answer.
Alex
Old 13-10-2021, 02:50 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Well... lets face it - things like $4 watches are so called "genuine fake watches" (yeah, you can see literally these signs on the shops in Istanbul). Some items (like Explore Scientific or Sky Rover) eyepieces or telescopes are high quality items and they are not cheap. They are cheaper then in US or AU simply because of you are cutting out some retailers, but they are still reasonably priced. Sime items like really nice CNC bolts for tripods and mounts - they are cheap because: 1) China owns mining 2) They've got lots of CNC machines 3) Labour is cheap. 4) Easy to make them. So in each case you need to look why it's cheap. It might me cheap because it's a low quality item, it might me cheap because it's easy and cheap to produce or it might me cheap because you are cutting out middle man.