Old 03-10-2021, 04:40 PM
Goraax (Goran)

Upgrading mount from Celestron AVX?

I've got a Celestron AVX, but I'm not happy with its guiding capability, and I'm looking to replace it.

What mount would be a good replacement, for not too much of a price range difference?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

What scope will be on it?

HEQ5 is a fantastic all rounder for scope setups under 8kg for imaging
Old 04-10-2021, 12:00 AM
glend (Glen)

There are alot of factors that affect guiding performance. Buying s new mount may not be the answer. Can you describe your setup and problems in more specific terms. How much load are you putting on the current mount? Etc
Old 09-10-2021, 04:57 PM
metalage (Adrian)

glend is correct, there are a lot of factors that contribute to guiding quality.

From a mount perspective, I use a skywatcher HEQ5 Pro (rowan belt upgrade), and with a 8" scope + camera + OAG + guide camera + focuser etc, I'm probably sitting around the 9kg mark. I feel this is right on the border for weight loading but typically I experience under 1 arcsec RMS guiding error. Any more will be due to the atmosphere or a particular night and I will typically stop shooting when this happens. Good nights it can be down to 0.5-0.6 arsec RMS error and sits at 0.7ish on average.

The HEQ5 is a good mount but does require fiddling and fine tuning to get good connection with the worm with minimal backlash. If you did want to buy a new mount, I would suggest aiming for the EQ6-R Pro even though it is a little more $ just to future proof yourself. It will be less susceptible to wind gusts as well. I'll be in the market for a iOptron CEM70 soon myself, one of the reasons is for the increased payload capacity.