Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex,
Sounds very exciting
I’m interested to hear how easy it is when you eventually polar align your rig
Martin
Most thing are like an EQ6r.
Could not walk today so nothing got done unfortunately.
But everything (pier tripod and mount head are heavy) my assistant was able to lift the head but ot was way beyond me..I cant even unscrew my water bottles seriously I cant...well at least today laying in bed I re read the manuals . AND I made sure my DSLR was working and added a foot so it will mount direct to the mount..all in bed..I plan to line the pier/mount up by eye which is probably ok even now but then do a long exposure with the DSLR which will tell me with if I need to move the pier ..if it is ok or when it is in place I will put on the Polemaster and do my first alignment.. then move the RASA into place let things settle a couple of days and do another PA and set up the camera, cable, dew shield heater etc etc
Just hope Tuesday does not deliver crushing news..but if thats the way it is I will just need to step things up..as they say work contracts to fill the space it is allocated.
Alex
Old 22-10-2021, 12:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Mmm. Tuesday and the good news seems so long ago now...

The genny is now Earthed and connected to the battery charger..The air conditioner fortunately works which I was somewhat worried that it would but the better genny and beefy power cord sees it running ok plus the battery charger works while the air conditioner is running not that the batteries should need help on a day that requires that you run the air conditioner.

The jetty is complete and as I write this the fire pump is being set up four feet from the end so as not to get in the way of folk getting out of the boat or from a swim.. it is only a dam but a float around in the dingy a nice day with a icy glass of sustigen should be rather pleasant.

AND we moved the RASA onto the EQ8R and put the camera on and balanced it...I lined the mount up with the EQ6R in front of it as far as the CSP goes so hopefuly all I have to adjust is the dials on the mount and not move it..Later we will put the HEQ5 in its corner so I can polar align it when doing the EQ8R.

Not the place but to add to a perfect day...I received "you have a parcel at the Post Office" email which made me happy cause after ordering a heap of stuff and nothing turning up I really thought I had done my cash.. but at the counter I was handed four packages..another watch ( shows your blood pressure they claim), a wallet that scoundrels cant scan, a little pouch for my pocket watch and a Lord of the Rings engraved ring...but I have been duded because I put it on and my daughter can still see me...but it has done its job as I was hanging to get a ring and kept looking at expensive stuff so buying this cheap one gets rid of the ring wanties and tells me to order something a little smaller next time.

So far a great day with much progress... also my feet and hands are improving with each hour that passes and although still painful not as bad as the mind numbing pain I have endured for near two weeks.

So hopefully next eeek with see gear ready and me ready.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20211022122104_resize_79.jpg)
198.1 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20211022122642_resize_16.jpg)
202.9 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20211022120419_resize_85.jpg)
120.0 KB69 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 22-10-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 22-10-2021, 12:55 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Great to hear your feeling better and the progress on the site continues.

Can I ask how you are fire-proofing the water line back to the obs? Burying, soaker hose over the top etc?

Thanks
Old 22-10-2021, 01:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Great to hear your feeling better and the progress on the site continues.

Can I ask how you are fire-proofing the water line back to the obs? Burying, soaker hose over the top etc?

Thanks
First I added photos.
I have not worked out the details but happily my assistant is Captain of the Rural Fire Brigade around here and we will get as good as possible in place..anyways I have been burnt out before in my life and lost everything with no insurance and it is not that bad...I cant get insurance although asking for insurance with fires burning only klms away I guess one could expect to be turned away.

Alex
Old 22-10-2021, 01:28 PM
AdamJL

You can power a small village with that generator/battery setup, Alex

Starting your own commune?
Old 22-10-2021, 02:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Great progress and that new rig looks fantastic.
I’m sure once you have everything dialled in you will astounded at what the RASA can do with short subs
Good news too about your feet and fingers on the improve

Now for some clear moonless nights so you can put this beast through it’s paces

Best
Martin
Old 22-10-2021, 03:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
You can power a small village with that generator/battery setup, Alex

Starting your own commune?
There are 500 amp hours st 12 volts so I guess I can use 125 amp hours before a recharge the way I do it ...best to be kind to your batteries if you want to get your moneys worth.

Commune??? The chick next door but one to the old place I once lived at kept bringing up woman creatures and as my mate would say " forget going to town to meet some one we only need to go next door" He did I didnt.. but after various squabbles and AVOs he decided I was smarter than I looked. So I am thinking how kind of her helping out these down on their luck ladies...until I found out she was renting crappy caravans to them at $125 a week...she would have been turning over $1250 a week most times...and she had her eye on me..how do I know..well she turns up to introduce herself and of course I gave her a coffee but then she starts on about Stelarium being a wonderful program...I knew I was a target...so I looked out the window displaying boredom and she never visited again.

Alex
Old 22-10-2021, 03:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex,
Great progress and that new rig looks fantastic.
I’m sure once you have everything dialled in you will astounded at what the RASA can do with short subs
Good news too about your feet and fingers on the improve

Now for some clear moonless nights so you can put this beast through it’s paces

Best
Martin
Well it is only now that I appreciate it given the waiting and health issues.

I went down just 30 minutes ago to find the pump installed and raised the "sprinkler" program with him...
.it is as good as done... but had to stop cause everything on the list for today was done which is good because its now raining very heavy..damn started to hail now.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20211022_154508.jpg)
56.1 KB54 views
Old 23-10-2021, 08:51 AM
Malewithatail (Dick)

Hello Alex, finally worked out the password system and managed to log on within the 5 tries allowed !
Saw some messages from u from 2016, a bit out of date, but who cares ?
All the best, looking forward to seeing some photos posted.
Malewithatail
Old 23-10-2021, 10:35 AM
xthestreams (Paul)
photon disrupter

Can’t wait to see the data from the RASA!
Old 29-10-2021, 03:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks gentlemen.
Well if one still wants more proof that I am the luckiest man on the planet here it is....all the mounts are ok...even the most recent exposed to water, EQ6R, had no water inside...one winch motor required intensive care but is now opperational.
The winch motors have been relocated as has their battery to provide clear floor space and more efficient pulling...
So no outlay other than labour which is more than reasonable and really borders on priceless.

See..I am the luckiest man on the planet.

Alex
Old 29-10-2021, 03:20 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Check out this carabina which stretched under the strain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20211029133305_resize_43.jpg)
159.0 KB35 views
Old 29-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Pepper (Steve)

I’m not surprised mate. Get some decent rated carabiners that have a screw-nut thingy to stop the gate opening.
The one pictured looks a bit 2dollar shoppey to me.
Old 29-10-2021, 03:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Some photos
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20211029133639_resize_94.jpg)
97.6 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20211029130935_resize_68.jpg)
109.4 KB76 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20211029131520_resize_38.jpg)
152.9 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20211029133327_resize_42.jpg)
188.2 KB82 views
Old 29-10-2021, 05:24 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Great news about your Obs and mounts
Thankfully a bit of luck came your way this time
Cheers
Martin
Old 29-10-2021, 06:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex,
Great news about your Obs and mounts
Thankfully a bit of luck came your way this time
Cheers
Martin
A great day Martin but I do seem to have a monopoly on good luck ... The only bad luck is getting cancer but heck thats the only bad luck so how could I complain really ...and it is responding ...but those meds are just so unpleasant ..mouth bleeds, nose bleeds, blisters on feet and fingers that are just insanely painful, throwing up and cant leave the toilet, and cant eat...I had a rest from them and start back on them tomorrow

.they are so bad dieing seems the smart thing to do ... and so i am lucky that I can see how death seduces you...well go somewhere else as I have things to do...
Alex
Old 30-10-2021, 02:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I’m not surprised mate. Get some decent rated carabiners that have a screw-nut thingy to stop the gate opening.
The one pictured looks a bit 2dollar shoppey to me.
True but it does demonstrate the considerable force at play. .alex
Old 30-10-2021, 06:52 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malewithatail View Post
Hello Alex, finally worked out the password system and managed to log on within the 5 tries allowed !
Saw some messages from u from 2016, a bit out of date, but who cares ?
All the best, looking forward to seeing some photos posted.
Malewithatail
Sorry I only noticed your post last night.
Alex
Old 30-10-2021, 07:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My shipwright friend pointed out that we should clean the tracks as any improvement to assist reduction of the rolling resistance is energy well spent.
He constructed some very impressive scaffolding and with the ladder brought in by my other friend he got to work grinding the tracks... well he found that BHP had placed their brand in raised letters on the track and he ground them away...this answered a big question..why does the roof jump about when being winched..it was horrific and I thought it was due to the roof going this way and that..I had to use both hand controllers carefully ss you would get slack one side which you needed to take up..so although not tested as yet I believe this will improve the opening and closing...also the winch motors not only are now out of the way but have a better mechanical advantage than where I placed them originally.
They also fixed my air conditioner in the van which was a ruff job with cardboard and tape and no provision for the drain..all that is fixed.
The grass is cut ..everywhere..and things are looking good.
Alex