Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Phil Hart

and don't get me wrong.. of course i will be getting myself one of these too :-)
Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hey Phil,

I'm not down on the science behind it all.

I just know that if I can shoot at ISO-6400 to ISO-25,600 during weddings, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Some more ISO-6400 JPGs (straight out of camera) have surfaced today, and, aside from the model being slight out of focus, the images are clean.

Excited.

H
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Phil Hart

but does the 6400 JPG look any better than a 5DII 6400 after noise reduction in lightroom? the high ISO JPGs i've seen look like they've had heavy noise reduction applied to them.. which is exactly what is happening..

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Hey Phil,

I just know that if I can shoot at ISO-6400 to ISO-25,600 during weddings, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Some more ISO-6400 JPGs (straight out of camera) have surfaced today, and, aside from the model being slight out of focus, the images are clean.

Excited.

H
Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 PM
gregbradley

You bring up an interesting point Phil.

I take it that the gains both Nikon and Canon are achieving in noise control come more from improvements in the supporting processing electronics and chips.

For example not to pick on SBIG but it serves as an example - the STL11 is very very noisy compared to identically chipped FLI Proline 11002. Why? Better A/D conversion probably. Now you are seeing ST8300F models with these improved electronics and SBIG is now acknowledging these available improvements and incorporating them into their newer models. No doubt STX has these improvements.

Same I suspect with DSLRs. Expeed 3 for Nikon and Digic 5+ for Canon have way more processing power. So there would be a gain there.
Plus they must be able to process perhaps more advanced noise suppression using the extra computing power available than earlier models.

There is also optimising the antialiasing filter. These filters are pretty harsh. I have changed a few over on EOS20D and also Nikon D70. They must cut down QE a lot. So optimising them must have a gain at the expense of flirting with moire.

But I know what you mean. I have a 20D and a 40D and I shot a 5D mark ii and the 40D seemed to have same or better noise performance as the 5D mark ii or at minimum it was similar. I was surprised I expected the 5D mark ii to be a lot cleaner. Both used under near identical conditions.

I guess in that case it comes down to pixel size.

Surely 36mp though must be some sort of ceiling or close to the theoretical limit. Geez, that same sized sensor in an astro camera is the Kodak KAI11002 chip and that is a mere 11mp (probably a tad less). My 16803 chipped camera is twice the sensor size of these chips and its only 16.8mp so that would be 8.3mp if it were full frame!

Yet when Kodak brought out the KAI16000 which is 16mp full frame size it seems to have been hugely unpopular in the astro world. Noone really uses it.

Greg.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Dunno, don't use LightRoom. Only DPP for me. The one and only Canon RAW converter.

The ISO-6400 JPGs I saw today have had absolutely nothing done to them. They're straight out of camera and look incredible.

Cheers.

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
but does the 6400 JPG look any better than a 5DII 6400 after noise reduction in lightroom? the high ISO JPGs i've seen look like they've had heavy noise reduction applied to them.. which is exactly what is happening..

Phil
Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM
gregbradley

Isn't there an update to Photoshop that has Canon RAW conversion? I thought I saw one.

Greg.

[QUOTE=Octane;826657]Dunno, don't use LightRoom. Only DPP for me. The one and only Canon RAW converter.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Greg,

If you do a search on my posting history, you'll see my thoughts on LR/ACR/PS when it comes to Canon RAW conversion.

Just on my way to work, hence brevity.

Cheers.

H
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
gregbradley

I see, so the Canon one works much better. Fair enough.

Greg.

If you do a search on my posting history, you'll see my thoughts on LR/ACR/PS when it comes to Canon RAW conversion.

Just on my way to work, hence brevity.

Cheers.

H[/QUOTE]
Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

http://216.18.212.226/PRODS/canon-5d...hSLI025600.JPG

ISO-25,600.

Wee!

H
Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Canon 1Dx ISO-12,800 SOOC JPG sample: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/sam...nloads/009.jpg

H
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

It's sideways
Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Yeah, I know.

H
Old 08-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Poita (Peter)

The MKIII is a nice piece of kit. Embedded timecode would make me happy for video, and the depth of field preview is now where my finger expects to find it. No real bump in resolution over the MKII but the high ISO looks great.

Though I can't believe Canon *still* doesn't have full colour metering or decent flash metering, this should have been fixed 10 years ago. They did finally put fringe correction in. We will be upgrading our MKIIs at work, hocking them while the price is still good.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Poita (Peter)

As long as they are clean due to a great sensor and electronics (they probably are) rather than noise reduction/smoothing in camera (let's hope not).

Quote:
Hey Phil,

Excited.

H
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
gregbradley

Though I can't believe Canon *still* doesn't have full colour metering or decent flash metering, this should have been fixed 10 years ago. They did finally put fringe correction in. We will be upgrading our MKIIs at work, hocking them while the price is still good.[/QUOTE]

Per a video I watched the 5D mark iii does have exposure metering based on RGB now. It was B and W before.

Greg.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Here's a sample at ISO25,600 from my 5DmkII, with noise reduction applied in Lightroom:

http://philhart.com/files/_MG_7741.jpg

Is it really that much worse than the 5DIII example above? Look particularly at the colour chart and around the wine bottles in your sample. It's also not true that the mkIII sample JPGs have had nothing done to them.. they've had heavy noise reduction applied in camera.. you can see it clearly.

The reason '6400 is the new 1600' is that greater processing power allows much more sophisticated noise smoothing to be applied in camera than what the mkII could do. But you can apply that with software yourself as you have to with RAW anyway.

I'll bet a new 1DX *and* a 5DMKIII that RAW 6400 from the mkIII does not look like 1600 on the MKII. a small gain for sure.. but no way two stops. it's simply not possible to have improved the efficiency of the mkII sensor that much (whoever the manufacturer is) since it was already so good. quantum mechanics says so.

if you're disappointed when your new camera arrives, i'll happily take it off your hands.. i'll appreciate the 10% improvement a lot more!

cheers
Phil
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:

if you're disappointed when your new camera arrives, i'll happily take it off your hands.. i'll appreciate the 10% improvement a lot more!

cheers
Phil
Nice try

I'm not convinced absolute QE is the problem with CMOS chips. By their intrinsic design you have pixel to pixel variation in the (on chip) read-up electronics.

A bit like weighing yourself many times on one set of bathroom scales (al la CCD..same result every time) as opposed to weighing yourself with different scales (al la CMOS, this scale says I've put on weight! )

Canon may have discovered a method to make their "scales" more consistent. In which case the S/N will have improved and you can push the signal harder before the noise becomes offensive.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Phil,

I've never been disappointed with /any/ of the Canon gear that I have bought or owned. I don't think this baby is going to disappoint, either.

I take my gear for what it is; a tool designed to do a job. Ilike having the latest and greatest, though. Will it make me abetter photographer? I doubt it. Will it allow me to make better photographs? Possibly. Will ISO-6400 or ISO-25,600 allow me to get shots that I previously would not have dreamed of taking, even if I end up converting them to black and white? You bet!

DPP now has a state of the art Digital Lens Optimizer module, too, by the way.

H
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Nice try

I'm not convinced absolute QE is the problem with CMOS chips. By their intrinsic design you have pixel to pixel variation in the (on chip) read-up electronics.

A bit like weighing yourself many times on one set of bathroom scales (al la CCD..same result every time) as opposed to weighing yourself with different scales (al la CMOS, this scale says I've put on weight! )

Canon may have discovered a method to make their "scales" more consistent. In which case the S/N will have improved and you can push the signal harder before the noise becomes offensive.
thanks Peter! i've been digging for people to describe ways the sensor may have actually improved to deliver real change.. that sounds like a plausible area of improvement. i bet you don't expect a gain of two stops though! canon do claim a slight improvement in 'photoelectric conversion rate' but it's clearly an incremental rather than revolutionary step even the way they phrase it. they also claim better 'on-chip' noise reduction which may be their way of saying what you are without revealing too much?

Phil
Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
thanks Peter! i've been digging for people to describe ways the sensor may have actually improved to deliver real change.. that sounds like a plausible area of improvement. i bet you don't expect a gain of two stops though! canon do claim a slight improvement in 'photoelectric conversion rate' but it's clearly an incremental rather than revolutionary step even the way they phrase it. they also claim better 'on-chip' noise reduction which may be their way of saying what you are without revealing too much?

Phil
No problem Phil....I gave a presentation on CMOS vs CCD at CWAS
(now there's a few acronyms ) a few years ago.

There are a few other hallmarks of CMOS design...their complex architecture often shows us as weird off-axis diffraction spikes with point sources (i.e. stars)...& I see back illuminated CMOS are now coming on line to mittigate this as well as improve QE

However, pixel to pixel read-up variation has always been the bane of CMOS design.

Canon may now have tackled this at a wafer fabrication level, rather than calibration look-up tables, as well as using a full field micro-lens to achieve a few Db gain with similar noise reduction.

In short, I don't think it's all smoke and mirrors.