Old 27-12-2009, 11:08 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Im thinking he did not properly cover the camera, purely because I did the same thing with my ST10.. I didnt properly cover it, and I got a leak through the side of the shutter that looked much the same as the leak he has, considering that in a dark environment he did not have this problem, my next method of figuring out where the leak is would be to properly cover the nose piece using a metal cover, failing that, the standard cap with al-foil covering it.. I dare say this will have the same affect as using the camera in a darkened environment. If not, then the body of the camera has a light leak, which wouldnt be so great I agree.. However being that I've had what is practically an identical problem in the past that turned out to be my fault, Im not so quick to jump up and down saying "ooh look at the problems this camera has" just yet..
Old 27-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Believe it or not. Astro cameras are designed to be used in the dark... Shutters in astro cameras are not generally designed to be 100% light proof, come to think of it, I don't think there is a way you could make a 100% light proof shutter that could operate at high speed..
Don't tell me you haven't taken darks during the day with a camera that can regulate temprature. And I'll bet you only covered the front of the camera, be it inside the scope or with alfoil or similar. Not to many imaging sites are totlly dark with computers etc running.
Just making excuses...
Old 27-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
I might add, upon reading the most recent post by the original poster, he took darks in a dark environment and the problem was solved..
Yep.

BTW the ST series PCB design (also for ST8300) is not new....SBIG have been running them for a few years with no known problems.

New chip in a mature product.
Old 27-12-2009, 11:29 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Don't tell me you haven't taken darks during the day with a camera that can regulate temprature. And I'll bet you only covered the front of the camera, be it inside the scope or with alfoil or similar. Not to many imaging sites are totlly dark with computers etc running.
Just making excuses...

Yea, I took darks in a light filled room with the ST10, with the nose piece correctly covered... I would assume, (Oh no, making assumptions again) that the poster on cloudy nights did not correctly cover the nose piece..

But no, you're completely right, I'm just making excuses.. I wouldnt have any idea what im talking about, and the fact that I've said 3 times now that I had an IDENTICAL dark frame caused by not correctly covering the nose piece of the camera in a lit room has absolutely nothing to do with why I'm saying this isn't a defective camera issue, its because im an SBIG fan boy Doug.. Thats right, A fanboy. Or so you assume..

You have a go about me making assumptions and excuses, then you A) assume that the camera is faulty before anyone knows the final score... B) assume that my previous experience with a problem that looked exactly the same carries no weight.

Look - Simple fact is, nobody knows for sure yet except Sal... He's the guy sitting there with an ST8300 in his hands.. Until anyone knows more than what Sal has told us, everything is assumption..

The only difference, My assumption is aimed at helping the user find the problem and get it sorted out, where as yours is just to point a finger with a big "I told you so" to prove a 3 week old point.

No worries ay..
Old 28-12-2009, 02:41 AM
Gama

Teething will always occur, this i will say.

But, i still reckon the ST 8300 as with all brands using the 8300 sensor in the camera is going to be a huge benifit to users, and deliver exactly what the Kodak sensor is capable off. Competition is good, as with deals happening with many of the main brands, and that in the end is what matters.

Theo.

Edited: Was a little to critical, so re phrased my post.

Last edited by Gama; 28-12-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 28-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Yep.

BTW the ST series PCB design (also for ST8300) is not new....SBIG have been running them for a few years with no known problems.

New chip in a mature product.

You are exactly right Peter. This camera base has been running for a few yearswith no known problems but it was quite alright for Alex to go back a year to the original release of the QHY9 and use teething problems with it as reasoning to recommend the purchase of the SBIG.

SBIG like all camera manufacturers have had problems with their cameras but I see no point in canning a unit because of a minor problem which is fixed very quickly and completely during a testing/teething period. I recall a few SBIG cameras which had to be returned to the States to have repairs carried out. Faults will happen and as long as the faults are looked at and repaired correctly and improvements made I see no need to go back a year to cast up these type of faults.

As Alex seems to want to call himself a SBIG Fanboy and this is his own wording. I would have to be considered the similar with regard to QHY cameras. I find they deliver the results at very good prices. This has been my entire argument the whole time. No need to dig back through the forums etc to find those unhappy with SBIG cameras and attempt to cast up these as the norm.

I am sure this camera will be a corcker of a camera, particularly at the price it is being offered at.

I am really not trying to bag the new camera but rather point out to the fanboy as he calls himself, that all isn't black and white and everything can be interpreted by the reader.
Old 28-12-2009, 07:16 AM
rat156

Well no Doug, you were bagging the new camera. By simply pointing out the thread on CN and not going into any discussion of the point smacks of "Itoldyousoism" (yep, I made that one up myself), I saw it and thought to myself that it was pretty petty. I then went to the thread and saw the discussion. The user made a mistake in his darkframes, he has not used an astroCCD before and may have not gotten the darkframe proceedure right. He seemed to have fixed it in later posts.

The series of posts concerning the apparent difference in noise between the two cameras are rubbish, I can take a darkframe that shows no hot pixels on my ST-10, and that's got heaps of noise. It all depends on how it's presented. The lines in the SBIG darkframe are common to Kodak chips, they are a hot pixel and the readout cascade. I can't believe that the difference is the electronics behind the chip.

All up I have to agree with Theo on this one, competition is good, if I were thinking of replacing the ST-10,then one of these cameras would be on the list, probably both. The main problem I would have with the QHY is the number of SBIG accessories I have, which like the Nikon v Canon argument means I go for Nikon.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 28-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post
Well no Doug, you were bagging the new camera. By simply pointing out the thread on CN and not going into any discussion of the point smacks of "Itoldyousoism" (yep, I made that one up myself), I saw it and thought to myself that it was pretty petty. I then went to the thread and saw the discussion. The user made a mistake in his darkframes, he has not used an astroCCD before and may have not gotten the darkframe proceedure right. He seemed to have fixed it in later posts.

The series of posts concerning the apparent difference in noise between the two cameras are rubbish, I can take a darkframe that shows no hot pixels on my ST-10, and that's got heaps of noise. It all depends on how it's presented. The lines in the SBIG darkframe are common to Kodak chips, they are a hot pixel and the readout cascade. I can't believe that the difference is the electronics behind the chip.

All up I have to agree with Theo on this one, competition is good, if I were thinking of replacing the ST-10,then one of these cameras would be on the list, probably both. The main problem I would have with the QHY is the number of SBIG accessories I have, which like the Nikon v Canon argument means I go for Nikon.

Cheers
Stuart
Your wrong Stuart, At no point was I bagging the camera, I was just pointing out the fact that one purchaser who comes up with something unusual can be used to degrade the reputation of the cameras in question. Alex certainly used this to point out that SBIG is better.
I have said all along that I doubt there would be very little if any diference between these two cameras. They will fill a very big hole in the market and will be welcomed by many. I may yet buy one myself. The 8300 CCD would be ideal for my FSQ.

As for being pretty petty can you justify not using the same words for Alex's comments earlier where he dredged back 12 months to find problems experienced with the original release of the QHY9 as a justification for buying SBIG. I found these original posts quite offensive as the attempt was directly pointed to threads I had posted on QHY web site some 12 months ago.

These cameras will set a standard in the market both from budget performance and price and will probably lead to other manufacturers lowering prices and maybe even other CCD cameras falling in price as well.
Old 28-12-2009, 07:58 AM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Ok people.

It looks like the original poster (he who just wanted to know what camera to buy) is completely dropped off this thread and started to think "what an rambling dumba$$es". (I know you are all not dumba$$es but just get your panties in a knot sometimes ).

Giving someone advice is one thing but going against each other and not giving advice is another thing.

My vote would be to lock this thread and both camps start their own thread where they can ramble on and on and on

Just my 2 cents here because i also am in the market to buy a ccd camera and got tired reading this post.

PS: my own thread about the QHY9 got a bit long winded so i left it alone.
Old 28-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
Ok people.

It looks like the original poster (he who just wanted to know what camera to buy) is completely dropped off this thread and started to think "what an rambling dumba$$es". (I know you are all not dumba$$es but just get your panties in a knot sometimes ).

Giving someone advice is one thing but going against each other and not giving advice is another thing.

My vote would be to lock this thread and both camps start their own thread where they can ramble on and on and on

Just my 2 cents here because i also am in the market to buy a ccd camera and got tired reading this post.

PS: my own thread about the QHY9 got a bit long winded so i left it alone.

Well Martin I think you are correct about the original request for advice so I will now shut up.
As for your thread, why ask for the advise if you are not going to read it. It appears the advise you were looking for with regard to processing etc was being delivered, yes it drifted a little but the general direction was what you requested. You as the thread creator can ask to have the thread locked by a moderator if you feel it is drifting off target and should be terminated.
Old 28-12-2009, 09:01 AM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

I am not saying that anyone should shut up
The whole thing is, that this thread is getting soooooo long and that the little bits of info gets drowned in techno babble that a first buyer of an ccd camera thinks "what the????".

To me, both cameras (QHY9 and the SBIG) are basically the same, SBIG cameras might be better build and the QHY cameras are cheaper, but they both have the same chip.
So SBIG has the BIG name and the QHY not (yet).
That is all folks (can someone tell me now how to get the right text formatting back??).
Old 28-12-2009, 11:37 AM
pvelez (Pete)

As the OP, I agree that it might be time to close this thread.

I am grateful for all the advice. I changed my mind several times as each new post added another fact to consider. After a bit I checked the thread less frequently as the shift in my intentions gave me a headache.

I must confess that I also felt a bit responsible for the postings that became heated at times (to the extent that you can tell in a forum like this) so I lay low for a bit till I saw where it ended up.

I had thought the decision to move from DSLR to dedicated to CCD would be hard - it was nothing to this decision!

So I went with the SBIG - higher cost (especially with the filter wheel added) I know and the QHY looks very smart and I am sure is excellent. But on balance, for a relative novice like me, it looks the goods.

Thanks again

Pete
Old 31-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Loupy31 (Peter)
Invented the Four Track

You Know, I am currently looking to buy a CCD,
I have narrowed it down to 2 Cameras, one has a Sony chip the other has a Kodak chip, I have more question to ask regarding the performance of both cameras,
But after reading through this thread I can not believe the pissing contest thats going on, why dont you guys grow up, we all know what Peter sells and we all know what Theo sells.
For me, and I gather most people, a very important concideration is being able to pick up the phone and contact the seller for advise or some tech info. if a problem arises.
I can say that I have, on several occasions contacted both the aforementioned people, One of them answers personally, the other with an answering machine.
I know where my new CCD will be coming from

Loupy31

Old 31-12-2009, 08:20 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

I don't know if it has been mentioned elsewhere but just to muddy the water further, ATIK have announced on 21 December the 383L camera based on the Kodak 8300 sensor. No price that I can see yet. There sure is a lot of competition in the market.

Frank
Old 31-12-2009, 08:42 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loupy31 View Post
You Know, I am currently looking to buy a CCD,
I have narrowed it down to 2 Cameras, one has a Sony chip the other has a Kodak chip, I have more question to ask regarding the performance of both cameras,
But after reading through this thread I can not believe the pissing contest thats going on, why dont you guys grow up, we all know what Peter sells and we all know what Theo sells.
For me, and I gather most people, a very important concideration is being able to pick up the phone and contact the seller for advise or some tech info. if a problem arises.
I can say that I have, on several occasions contacted both the aforementioned people, One of them answers personally, the other with an answering machine.
I know where my new CCD will be coming from

Loupy31
Just make sure you post your findings once you have it up and running. I will be looking for something in the middle part of the year....