Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 01-09-2009, 02:14 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Then you'd qualify for the student version, lucky bugger
Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
deadsimple (Ash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
CS4 Extended , the current version may well cost over $1000
Sorry if I misunderstood, but you're not specifically looking for a commercial license are you? As a Master's student you should qualify for the hell-cheap academic version of CS4 Extended for non-commercial, personal use:

http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/book.../9789992605622
http://www.educationsoftware.com.au/product.php?id=444

Can grab it for about $200 these days, legitimately from typical uni bookshops. I think I paid $300 for it a few months ago, but they've recently had a price drop.

Basically you buy the physical product, then visit:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/st...lfillment.html

Then sign up, enter the coupon code from the retail box, attach a scanned photo of your student card (they allow you to censor certain parts of it that aren't relevant - e.g. birth-date, barcodes, etc - if you are worried about privacy). Then within a day or so you get a serial number emailed to you. Smooth riding from there.

Last edited by deadsimple; 01-09-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

Quote:
Don't buy any software via Ebay from the seller called raptorscience .

I am now excallating the dispute with this seller as raptorscience tried fogging me off , said it must me me and not the copy he sold me.

I'll keep you guys posted .

tI reminded raptorscience there are two satisfactory resolutions to this ie -
raptorscience can send me a genuine Adobe CS3 Extended (new unused retail / shop version) - one that will actually work !!!
or
raptorscience can send me a full refund of the transaction.

I have reminded raptorscience that I am fully entitled to a full refund under Australian comsumer protection laws since I have not recieved what I was lead by raptorscience 's Ebay advert to believe I was getting (e a genuine Adobe CS3 Extended ,the FULL unused retail / shop version).
Some of the feedback for this guy look a little dodgy to me. I hope you have better luck than I did with eBay. I didnt get ripped off but I was the high bidder on some motorbike parts until 30 seconds from the end of the auction and the seller pulled the parts from the auction and within 30 mins had relisted the parts at a higher price. Verdict from eBay was non existant they wont even answer emails from me.

Adrian
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Guys you can also buy the "education/student versions" if you are a teacher or HAVE CHILDREN THAT ATTEND SCHOOL. This is the full working version (CS4 extended), all you need is proof of identity (ie a student card or similar). Yes it is legal. Where available I buy all my software this way. It is so much cheaper then the full price. Come to think of it if you didn't qualify via the above you could always enrol in a uni course, get a student card, buy a truckload of cheap software and then drop out beforew the hecs kicked in .

Mark
Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 PM
hulloleeds

Not being a know-it-all here, but if you are not aware, most boards ask their members to not publicly discuss methods of "piracy" due to the somewhat looming legal threats (towards the owners of the board) that could ensue.

It might seem petty, but this board has enough google fu (that is, has enough weight on google) that if you start mentioning things like this, google starts returning it in the results for "cs4 bypass protection". It's not as if a swat team are going to descend from the roof or anything but it is something generally accepted and avoided.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Guys you can also buy the "education/student versions" if you are a teacher or HAVE CHILDREN THAT ATTEND SCHOOL. This is the full working version (CS4 extended), all you need is proof of identity (ie a student card or similar). Yes it is legal. Where available I buy all my software this way. It is so much cheaper then the full price. Come to think of it if you didn't qualify via the above you could always enrol in a uni course, get a student card, buy a truckload of cheap software and then drop out beforew the hecs kicked in .

Mark
I have 5 kids, can I get this deal?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 PM
hulloleeds

http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayI...e=VIP:feedback

Ian, was it your choice to make the auction private - or do I smell a (smart) rat, who knows to make the "illegit" auctions hide the product in the feedback page.

For what it is worth, I must admit, I wouldn't be sure that that seller was illegit and I've a fair bit of experience for this type of thing.

Finally, for those of you who underestimate the whole google thing,

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ra...ient=firefox-a

Page 2 you'll find this thread, page 1 you'll see cloudy nights post has made it
Old 01-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulloleeds View Post
http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayI...e=VIP:feedback

Ian, was it your choice to make the auction private - or do I smell a (smart) rat, who knows to make the "illegit" auctions hide the product in the feedback page.

For what it is worth, I must admit, I wouldn't be sure that that seller was illegit and I've a fair bit of experience for this type of thing.

Finally, for those of you who underestimate the whole google thing,

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ra...ient=firefox-a

Page 2 you'll find this thread, page 1 you'll see cloudy nights post has made it
News to me - I don't know how it became "private" , certainly not anything I did , unless it automatically became made "private" when my Dispute was initiated. Otherwise , I'd say the vendor has tagged it private somehow.

I have heard from another of this guy's customers (who lives in Brisbane) who contacted me and told me he has had similar problems with the 2 Adobe products he bought , says he decided to ask when he noticed I've given negative feedback to the vendor, he asked what else and how I am dealing with this , he's going to follow my example . Said he's been trying to get a response from the vendor for several days has had a gut full of wasting his time.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Ian Robinson

When I have my money back in my Visa Debit account, either from PayPal or Visa , I don't much care who , I'll pop into either U-Print (In the old Callaghan Campus SUB ,they sell Adobe CS4 Extended Student Version , not sure how much for , or to the Co-op Bookshop in town - I'll have dig out my old Co-op membership card (attracts a 10% ?? extra discount if I remember correctly) and I'll be buying myself a copy.

Dammit .... my Epsum Stylus CX6800 died tonight
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
deadsimple (Ash)

Quote:
I'll have dig out my old Co-op membership card (attracts a 10% ?? extra discount if I remember correctly)
Unfortunately as a member I could not get the 10% applied to Photoshop CS4. Textbooks, other products sure .. just not any of the Adobe products in the store. No harm in asking though.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Harpspitfire

there are legit copies on ebay in the US for low prices- its just not a sure bet you actually know what the software really is your bidding on
Old 02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
marki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
I have 5 kids, can I get this deal?
David, if they are at school or uni, give them the cash and they can buy it for you. I am a teacher so all I show them is my registration card and I can buy the ed versions. You just need some proper ID and you are off. There is nothing illegal about this, the software companies set up this system to get students using their products hoping they would then use them commercially at a later stage. Not sure what this has to do with the google police?????

Mark
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Ian Robinson

RaptorScience punished by Ebay

Google gestapo comments aside ....

Update : I just checked the Feedback ....

As a result of my actions against the crook , Seller: raptorscience is no longer a registered user.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 AM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Don't worry, he'll pop up again under a different name.
Thats why he only had 17 feedback.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM
hulloleeds

I had a housemate who had done some questionable (fake) stuff on ebay (we were not aware until after it happened).

She was persued legally and ended up having to pay it all back and then some.

So, there may be some justice to ensue from this.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Benny L (Ben)

see if you can get a S/H genuine version of photoshop CS or something.. the when CS5, 6, 7 etc comes out and you want to upgrade then all you need is to buy the upgrade for about $400..
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Benny L (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
David, if they are at school or uni, give them the cash and they can buy it for you. I am a teacher so all I show them is my registration card and I can buy the ed versions. You just need some proper ID and you are off. There is nothing illegal about this, the software companies set up this system to get students using their products hoping they would then use them commercially at a later stage. Not sure what this has to do with the google police?????

Mark
i think its a violation of the EULA for non students to use academic software? I definitely know it is a no-no if you are using it for commercial use. Plus you can't buy the upgrade pack for the next version because that feature is disabled
Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 PM
marki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny L View Post
i think its a violation of the EULA for non students to use academic software? I definitely know it is a no-no if you are using it for commercial use. Plus you can't buy the upgrade pack for the next version because that feature is disabled
Have not read that it's a violation of the EULA anywhere but I will check next time I do a re-install (I am working within the licence in anycase). Certainly would not be using it for commercial stuff and I think those that do are skunks. Could claim it on tax in anycase. Yes the upgrade feature is disabled but why would you bother? If you could not resist the latest wizzbang version it would be cheaper or equililant cost to buy the Ed version then upgrade anyway . I only updated last year after using PS 7 for many years. CS4 has far more features then I will require for quite some time.

Mark
Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 AM
hulloleeds

Almost every education version of any software has the distinct limitation of commercial use. This is the only reason they are so cheap.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:29 PM
jakob

Just got the bad news- as part time student of Computer Pals, I am not entitled to use the student version of PS!

I have to bite the bullet and take the $700 upgrade offer from Elements to CS4.