Old 20-04-2015, 04:50 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
This is an interesting project and looks like it could very well be the next Artemis kit. The ICX453 is a decent entry-level CCD and is the same chip used in the proven QHY8 camera.

A fellow from Germany has done something similar with the ICX453 and even went as far as making a complete stand-alone peltier-cooled imager with integrated 8 position filter wheel, OLED screen and compact flash storage.

http://www.astroselbstbau.homepage.t...e.de/index.htm

Yep have seen that...quality work but not a lot of info.

This will be open source...I think. Anyway pretty much a QHY8 camera...although cooling needs to be sorted. I did note the originator from Russia has already designed a software driven peltier cooler and ASCOM driver. Probably this can be used for cooling this unit.

If anyone would like to dabble...then come on board.
Old 23-04-2015, 09:41 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Digging up old thread.....As title says...a DIY 16bit camera using CCD Sensor Sony ICX453AQ from not working Nikon D40/D50/D70/D70s.

These guys have been at this for some time and looks to be exciting and progressive project, some github files on his projects here.

I've jumped onboard...just purchased a cheap Nikon D70s body from fleabay (lets hope it arrives) and are gearing up.

I believe they are looking for others to join.

Brendan

Hi Brendan - any clue as to what the cost will be for the PCB etc? What are you plans for a case?
Old 24-04-2015, 12:37 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuhlack View Post
Hi Brendan - any clue as to what the cost will be for the PCB etc? What are you plans for a case?
Hi Richard...not finalised yet but, member steveastrouk (the gent who kindly offered to make up PCB & parts kits for cost...+ P&P) messaged me:

..." We can get decent discounts at 10 off quantities. Looking like around 60-70 USD for all the bits, including the PCB, but not shipping ? There;s still some uncertainty in component specification in the BOM."

Of course this all depends upon the final design. There is talk of re-design into a disc type camera so it can be used with filter wheels, include desiccant and sealed chamber etc. Its getting very interesting indeed.

Brendan

edit:
ahh a post on CN indicates even lower pricing, probably due to greater numbers.

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 24-04-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 25-04-2015, 02:53 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Ok to generate more interest and since I can handle the soldering of this DIY PCB, I will offer to populate qty 2 PCB DIY kits (that is solder in components), that steveastrouk, (on CN) offered to make up and sell at cost.

Steve is a research engineer and buying in bulk lowers the cost, but he offered to make up parts kits and PCBs for cost to people that ask.

Obviously some members on IIS might be interested but lack the soldering skills, so I'll be happy to solder in the parts (and probably install drivers) for them, no cost, nada. You'll have to pay postage to/from me and buy the kits from Steve, but I'll do the PCB population and post them back.

I'll put this out for only IIS members who lack soldering skill required, not those too busy or wanting a freebie pass. This will also help me in a way in that production building is far easier than one off runs. Also I have the ability to source spare parts if something is amiss or not working right (although not a sensor). I cannot guarantee your PCB works when built, but I do have the resources to fault find and fix.

I did something similar some time back with the "Sharpsky focuser" and this helped quite a few members. Obviously this is a bigger project but nonetheless, I'm happy to help.

Obviously you'll need an ICX453AQ sensor, from either a Nikon D40/D50/D70/D70s. I purchased a Nikon D70s body from fleabay for just this. Again I cannot guarantee your sensor, but, hey this is looking at worst case but really it'll be fine, depends on how careful you were in removing it! In fact is local we can probably share the DMSO solvent costs.

Frankly this project has a while to go and is not finalised yet so there is no great rush, but if you are interested and want in but lack the soldering skills...then I can help but, PM Steve for a kit and contact me. I'll leave this offer at qty 2 PCB kits atm but might be open to help more if really needed.

Brendan
Old 25-04-2015, 03:25 PM
glend (Glen)

I have indicated my interest on CN but have yet to hear anything about what it might cost in that thread. So i'd be a 'maybe' for your offer. Thanks. Do you know where I coukd source that solvent?
Old 25-04-2015, 03:42 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Glen

DMSO solvent is available from fleabay and other sources locally: here, $39 250ml spray (99.9% I think); here fleabay, $22 100ml 70% and so forth.

Kits at this stage for PCBs and parts are from $50 USD to $70USD (at this stage). Depends on numbers and finalisation of layout. Camera..well depends you can buy "damage non working units" cheap, but mine was $86 AUD for a working body, fleabay. 70% grade should be ok.

That said...I should get it soon and test it out first. As said, in general a non working camera unit...its 99.9% likely the sensor is ok, just some other electronic or moving part malfunction causing it not to work.

I'll tentatively mark you are interest #1.

Brendan
edit:

Should say the case design is being looked at for a major revision so this is why it won't be starting soon...but it will happen. A proper CNC'd case may be designed up and sold, but this will not be that cheap...price U/K atm but I'd suggest $200~$300 USD (just a guess).

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 25-04-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 28-04-2015, 01:59 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Ok...D70s body arrived today. Works just fine as said. Seller threw in extra battery but I also have CF card, another battery and charger...$86 AUD.

Not bad at all...IMHO. Nice pixel size...7.8um I believe, which is a real nice size.

I want to play with it for awhile (I've purchased a "D ring" to test it fully, I have no lenses for it in anycase) then when the DIY camera is finalised...it'll be relived of its Sony ICX453AQ sensor! Bit of a shame really as it's a nice camera.

Anyway you don't need a fully working body (like mine) in fact as said you can pick up non-working bodies really cheap and 99.9% of the time the sensors are just fine so suit this project well well.
Old 28-04-2015, 03:22 PM
netwolf

Brendan, I am interested but wonder if this will work with the Mono sensor version? I did see something on CN about a chap converting Nikond DSLRs to Mono sensors. Maybe he has a source for the Mono sensor?
Old 28-04-2015, 04:26 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Fahim

I believe the Niokns (Sony) sensors are easy to convert to mono, but this removers the bayer and micro-lens as well.

I have seen some nikon (and Canon) mono conversions over at Stargazerslounge. It appears the Nikons are much easier to "mono-fying". I also believe that a CN member trialled mono-fying some sony sensors from QHY, but, there was an issue with UV light tests damaging/degrading the silicon array, but, this was strong UV light and over a long time.

Though...I cannot see how...I mean UV is attenuated in our atmosphere and the strongest source would be our sun...I don't intend to point this at the sun.

I believe that the drivers may need some re-write to accommodate mono image download as the bayer matrix cells are differently counted to mono? Though this has been mentioned in the CN thread and others are interested in mono as well.

Pretty difficult to obtain these sony sensors and probably even more difficult to obtain mono versions. This is why members are scavenging from Nikons etc.

Brendan

Edit:
Damn...no SDK for Nikon D70 so BYN has no support...now that'll complicate things. Not really, just wanted to try BYN and this camera (on long exposures) before taking it apart...bummer.

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 28-04-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 29-04-2015, 10:22 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

QTY 2 Nikon D70 sensors avail here cheap, ebay $40USD $5 P&P. 100% positive feeback.

A cheapo way to get into this DIY project.
Old 29-04-2015, 10:48 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks for that head's up Brendan, I just bought one for the camera project.
Old 29-04-2015, 10:53 AM
netwolf

Thx got one.
Old 29-04-2015, 12:02 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Jeez that was quick!

You gents need to PM steveastrouk on CN about getting on board with a parts kits and PCB at cost.

He is going to make up parts kits and PCBs and sell them at cost (plus postage). Obviously the more people onboard the lower the costs. At this stage this is anywhere from $50USD to $70 USD but who knows in the end. Suffice to say I'm not concerned.

From what I can tell the PCB is being re-designed with some improvements (like inbuilt antifog, inbuilt TEC cooling, filter-wheel and case, desiccant etc etc. Probably best to keep following the thread yourselves rather than me repeating it all.

What they are doing is integrating improvement ideas, the camera is already known to work just fine and you could build one with the existing design.

So this re-vamp might take some time...who knows but this will allow me (us) to ramp up for this, gather solvent like DMSO etc.

As I said I'm quite happy to build some PCBs for those who are lacking soldering skills as production batching is much easier than one offs. Just wait till the parts kits & PCBs are available and I can make them up for a few members on this forum.

So, just PM steve and join the parts list and hopefully progress will be made as this project appears to be be gaining momentum rapidly.

Brendan
Old 29-04-2015, 12:42 PM
glend (Glen)

I had previously expressed interest in his thread on CN but will PM as well. I have some of my own design ideas I will try to implement in mine, like sealing the unit and argon filling and doing away with the need for dessicants- this has worked well on my cold finger Canon 450d.
Old 29-04-2015, 01:54 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Yeah Glen...gotta PM the member to be added.

Argon is a good idea and I believe this is being looked at. The desiccant is just a plug for residual moisture left post gas fill....I think!

Are you looking at your own PCB/CASE design then?
Old 29-04-2015, 04:14 PM
glend (Glen)

No I would take the case being offered but insure it was sealed and add a port for the argon fill point.

Will PM him tonight.
Old 29-04-2015, 04:39 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

I believe the case is redesigned and they were going to have this case CNC'd the cost depends on how many and batch pricing. You can make your own.

I'm not sure if the new design has a sealed window? Really at this stage it's all to early to tell suffice to say there have been major changes.

Looking fwd to doing this and there has been quite a bit of interest in debayering the sensor.....thus the filter wheel I guess!
Old 29-04-2015, 04:52 PM
glend (Glen)

I am concerned that the project is morphing into something more complicated in both design and function. It seems to be getting taken over by mono enthusiasts and people talking about dual TECs, etc. A single stage TEC is really all that's needed for a delta T of -25C, and this will keep the power requirement down to 6 amps for the TEC.

I am happy enough to build it as a OSC camera, and I hope that Steve will stick to that as version 1, and offer different designs for the filter wheel guys. I am after a lightweight camera, and don't want increased complexity (and obviously cost that goes with it).
Old 30-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Ausrock (Chris)

Would it be feasable to make the housing body from a composite material with an aluminium back for the cooling arrangement to attach to?
Old 30-04-2015, 10:32 AM
glend (Glen)

Feasible yes. Reading Steve's latest post on CN it appears the case will be offered without the filter wheel. Can't see why you could not make your own case, although a molded composite case will likely be heavier than a cnc'd aluminium one designed to hold the pcb. I don't care for his idea to use an aluminium cold finger and I plan to use copper, at least against the TEC to improve heat transfer. I ill also be using a good heat extraction fan on the rear heatsink. It looks like OSC and Mono will be catered for so that's good. You could potentially build it as OSC and later debayer the sensor and add the filter wheel for mono operation if you wished.

I won't build mine until Steve has it working and components finalised qnd proven. Importantly, power supply management, noise, etc need to be proven.