Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-09-2021, 10:32 AM
matlud (Mathew)

LMC: The Spiders Web

Hi everyone,

I finished this project earlier this year, and I was very honoured that this image was shortlisted in the galaxy category of the 2021 Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition.

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...1&d=1632961723
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/73l5xa/

Located in the southern constellation Dorado lies the largest satellite galaxy of the Milky Way, the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC). The LMC spans about 15,000 lights years in width and lies a mere 160,000 light years away. Being so close, this allows us to easily resolve the numerous emission nebula, Ha shells and supernova remnants contained within the LMC. In fact, the LMC is an ideal area to study SNRs as high resolution images are possible and there is less uncertainty in regards to the distance to the SNRs than with Milky Way SNRs. In addition, Milky Way SNR samples are affected by Malmquist bias, whereby brighter objects are more frequently observed as distance (and volume) increases making these brighter objects seem more numerous than they are. Interestingly, the first extragalactic SNRs ever discovered (N49, N63A, and N132D) are located in the LMC. There are now 62 confirmed SNRs within the LMC, and at least 32 SNR candidates.

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/73l5xa/B/

I have produced an annotated version showing the location of the confirmed SNRs. It is a good challenge to try to find some of these in the main image before checking the annotated version.

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/73l5xa/C/

A very crowded annotated version showing all of the named extended objects within the LMC found in the Catalogue of extended objects in Magellanic Clouds from Bica et al, 2008. In this image emission nebula are yellow, and Ha shells/supershells are annotated in pink.

In common with many galaxies, the LMC has a halo surrounding it. Despite the narrowband filters, you can just start to discern some of the variations in this very faint but large halo. This halo has arcs and spiral features, and extends well beyond this frame. The LMC is classified as a magellanic spiral, and you can also start to discern this spiral nature, wrapping from the top right down to the bottom left of the frame.

Cheers,
Mat

Technical Information
Nikon 200mm at f/2
ASI6200mm
Chroma filters
RSt135 Mount
Ha 285min: SII 250min: OIII 4.67hrs
Total 13.6 hours
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ludgate_LMC_SHO_1300.jpg)
205.5 KB119 views
Click for full-size image (Ludgate_LMC_SHO_SNR_annotate_1300.jpg)
204.8 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (Ludgate_LMC_SHO_Extended_Annotated_1300.jpg)
204.0 KB78 views
Old 30-09-2021, 11:11 AM
JA

Congratulation on your accolades and a wonderful image Mathew. It's a really unique presentation, given the 200mm used on FF and good on you for going all-in at f/2 ! That in conjunction with the time on target really spells out the "Z" spiral beautifully.

Best
JA
Old 30-09-2021, 11:26 AM
vlazg (George)

Your images are outstanding, congratulations on the shortlist
Old 30-09-2021, 12:23 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Congratulation on your accolades and a wonderful image Mathew. It's a really unique presentation, given the 200mm used on FF and good on you for going all-in at f/2 ! That in conjunction with the time on target really spells out the "Z" spiral beautifully.

Best
JA
Thanks JA! I was wanting to try to capture some of the fainter emission, and was really happy with how the spiral and inner halo features became a bit more pronounced ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
Your images are outstanding, congratulations on the shortlist
Thanks George, appreciate it ��

Last edited by matlud; 30-09-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 30-09-2021, 12:55 PM
gregbradley

A fabulous image Mat and unique by showing this Z spiral. You can see the LMC used to be a spiral galaxy once. I wonder if it has already passed through the Milky Way once or is it being drawn in just now for the first time and being distorted?

Greg.
Old 30-09-2021, 01:04 PM
AdamJL

One of the best images of this fabulous galaxy I've ever seen. Terrific work, Mathew!!
Old 30-09-2021, 01:16 PM
Dave882 (David)

Amazing image of this region. Just stunning. Glad to see it’s getting the recognition it deserves.
Old 30-09-2021, 02:33 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A fabulous image Mat and unique by showing this Z spiral. You can see the LMC used to be a spiral galaxy once. I wonder if it has already passed through the Milky Way once or is it being drawn in just now for the first time and being distorted?

Greg.
Thanks Greg. I'm not sure about the theory for the loss of the LMC spiral but I did come across a few papers which suggest the the LMC is on its first passage around the Milky Way, and that it just crossed the MW boundary ~700 million years ago. I'm not sure if that resulted in the current LMC structure but the gravitational forces must have been massive.
Old 30-09-2021, 02:35 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
One of the best images of this fabulous galaxy I've ever seen. Terrific work, Mathew!!
Wow, thanks Adam! 😀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Amazing image of this region. Just stunning. Glad to see it’s getting the recognition it deserves.
Thanks David, much appreciated 👍
Old 30-09-2021, 06:43 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Great work - lovely to see a really deep, wide field rendition of this amazing region.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:29 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

That really is a benchmark image of this region, and well and truly deserving of it's gong too, congratulations!

I've been using this image as a reference recently to plan my next foray into the LMC, so thanks for making that exercise a little easier too!
Old 02-10-2021, 10:01 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

This should be used as the new reference LMC image. I never knew the LMC was covered entirely with nebula & gas as shown here. Amazing.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:28 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

yep great shot Mat - i really like how it shows the shape and structure. also nice result for shooting at f2 too!
Old 02-10-2021, 04:53 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
That really is a benchmark image of this region, and well and truly deserving of it's gong too, congratulations!

I've been using this image as a reference recently to plan my next foray into the LMC, so thanks for making that exercise a little easier too!
Thanks Andy, that's awesome. I look forward to seeing your next project 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
This should be used as the new reference LMC image. I never knew the LMC was covered entirely with nebula & gas as shown here. Amazing.
Cheers Andrew! I wanted to bring out some of the fainter emission that's in between the more well-known nebula, and was pleased to pick this up.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:59 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
yep great shot Mat - i really like how it shows the shape and structure. also nice result for shooting at f2 too!
Thanks Russell. It was cool seeing the barred spiral structure become a little more prominent with the narrowband filters 👍 Cheers, Mat
Old 06-10-2021, 08:36 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

A truly grand overview.