Old 27-09-2021, 02:49 PM
Stephane

Mount advice - NEQ6 or CGEM?

Hi all,

Beginner here again. I had decided to purchase a new NEQ6 mount ($1,999), however some second-hand mounts might present a better option.

I see an old CGEM mount is currently selling at $700 (not sure if cables are inlcuded). I have no idea what to look out for other than both mounts support a similar load. My goal is to guide with PHD2 and eventually one day automate my imagaing using ASIair. I know, ambitious for a complete beginner, but just trying to look ahead to the future without having to constantly upgrade and fork out extra money.

What specs do I need to look out for? Any help would be really appreciated!

Cheers,
Stéphane
Old 28-09-2021, 12:44 AM
neurosis3000 (Reggie)

If you intend to use the ASIair you will have a much easier time with the NEQ6 and EQMOD than the Celestron.
Old 28-09-2021, 07:39 AM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurosis3000 View Post
If you intend to use the ASIair you will have a much easier time with the NEQ6 and EQMOD than the Celestron.
Thanks for replying Reggi, that’s good to know.
Old 28-09-2021, 08:13 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

ASIAir makes the whole process so much easier. Highly recommend as a new imager to consider getting one up front for an easier time. I use one myself and it changed the game for me.
Old 28-09-2021, 08:28 AM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
ASIAir makes the whole process so much easier. Highly recommend as a new imager to consider getting one up front for an easier time. I use one myself and it changed the game for me.
Thanks Andrew. I might request that as my next wedding anniversary present
Old 28-09-2021, 08:49 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

lol, theres no end to how much one can spend in this hobby, so safe option is just set a budget & determine best bang-for-buck gear from there. Enjoy the process
Old 28-09-2021, 09:07 AM
Dave882 (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurosis3000 View Post
I’ve had no dramas using ASIAIR pro with cgem. Works perfectly for me!
Old 28-09-2021, 09:49 AM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
lol, theres no end to how much one can spend in this hobby, so safe option is just set a budget & determine best bang-for-buck gear from there. Enjoy the process
I'm beginning to realize that LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
I’ve had no dramas using ASIAIR pro with cgem. Works perfectly for me!
Thanks Dave, that's good to know. I think in the end I will probably go with neither, but rather the EQ6-R. Some are saying that the extra expense is worth every penny. I will patiently wait, get advice, and enjoy the process of creating my first rig!
Old 28-09-2021, 05:17 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephane View Post

Thanks Dave, that's good to know. I think in the end I will probably go with neither, but rather the EQ6-R. Some are saying that the extra expense is worth every penny. I will patiently wait, get advice, and enjoy the process of creating my first rig!
investing in your mount is an excellent choice
Old 28-09-2021, 05:43 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:

Skywatcher EQ mounts have the advantage of being able to use EQMOD ( with your preferred planetarium eg Stellarium) or Green Swamp Server to remotely control the mount either cabled or wifi
Cheers
Old 28-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Skywatcher EQ mounts have the advantage of being able to use EQMOD ( with your preferred planetarium eg Stellarium) or Green Swamp Server to remotely control the mount either cabled or wifi
Cheers
Wow, now we're talking. That sounds awesome! Thanks again Martin. Does the possibility of wifi come with the mount or is it some kind of add-on?
Old 28-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Wow, now we're talking. That sounds awesome! Thanks again Martin. Does the possibility of wifi come with the mount or is it some kind of add-on?
I use a cabled connections to my EQ6-R mounts as I want solid connections with 100% reliability and has never let me down in 4 years
I use EQMOD ( remote operation of mount (driver) with navigation controls via keyboard and on screen control pad ) with Stellarium as my planetarium for Tracking and Goto etc...

I have an EQ6-R mount ( 6” f6 newt ) in Sydney cabled to my outdoor workstation 2m away in my backyard ( semi permanent set up )

And an EQ6-R mount ( 8” f5 newt ) in my NexDome observatory on the South Coast NSW. Mount is cabled underground from the Obs in the backyard to my house and into my study with a Network wall outlet ( obviously permanent set up )

Skywatcher do have a Wifi dongle I believe to use a remote connection but I’ve heard mixed opinions about their reliability
If your keen on wifi option maybe research them further on line ( me personally I much prefer cabled to Astro equipment)
Some other Astro forums in addition to our IIS which are helpful are
Cloudy Nights US
Stargazers Lounge UK
Some YouTube channels which are helpful are
Astrobackyard
Astro Addict
Amy’s Astro
TAIC The Astro Imaging channel
Star Stuff ( Dylan O’Donnell)
And a host of others

Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (F6379EDB-CFE9-4405-B350-F2A93CA6D3D0.jpeg)
150.3 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (A6D51E1E-4988-46E1-9E45-ADFC071DCF2F.jpg)
193.8 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (87177E27-0FEF-4EC5-8F4C-08444B4FE192.jpg)
189.2 KB28 views
Old 28-09-2021, 07:26 PM
Stephane

Quote:
I use a cabled connections to my EQ6-R mounts as I want solid connections with 100% reliability and has never let me down in 4 years
I use EQMOD ( remote operation of mount (driver) with navigation controls via keyboard and on screen control pad ) with Stellarium as my planetarium for Tracking and Goto etc...

I have an EQ6-R mount ( 6” f6 newt ) in Sydney cabled to my outdoor workstation 2m away in my backyard ( semi permanent set up )

And an EQ6-R mount ( 8” f5 newt ) in my NexDome observatory on the South Coast NSW. Mount is cabled underground from the Obs in the backyard to my house and into my study with a Network wall outlet ( obviously permanent set up )

Skywatcher do have a Wifi dongle I believe to use a remote connection but I’ve heard mixed opinions about their reliability
If your keen on wifi option maybe research them further on line ( me personally I much prefer cabled to Astro equipment)
Some other Astro forums in addition to our IIS which are helpful are
Cloudy Nights US
Stargazers Lounge UK
Some YouTube channels which are helpful are
Astrobackyard
Astro Addict
Amy’s Astro
TAIC The Astro Imaging channel
Star Stuff ( Dylan O’Donnell)
And a host of others

Cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin, I appreciate all the advice. Your setups sound awesome. Yep, cables are more reliable and I will start off like this for higher odds of reliability.

I've been looking at tons of forum posts (mostly cloudynights) and have spent countless hours on Youtube watching astrobackyard, Chuckastrophotography, star stuff, galactic hunter, etc... Asking questions directly though has been by far my greatest aid. Thanks again!
Old 28-09-2021, 08:10 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Stephane,
Glad to help , its not an easy hobby to get started but once you understand the fundamentals it’s so rewarding

If I can recommend one final piece of advice to aid in understanding and learning the night sky and movement of celestial objects and that is to download a copy of Stellarium ( free ) on your home PC or laptop
You can also use Stellarium at late date for controlling your Mount.
It’s a tremendous piece of software, very intuitive and loads of features for both Visual astronomer and Astrophotographer

See attached my write up of basic use of Stellarium

Cheers
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stellarium Basic Set Up and Use.pdf (29.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-10-2021, 10:59 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
I use a cabled connections to my EQ6-R mounts as I want solid connections with 100% reliability and has never let me down in 4 years ...
Solid connections is an important point. That is why I went with an AZEQ6 mount (one of the reasons) as the power connection is screw on and solid. I have found NEQ6 mounts in the past can be somewhat dodgey with maintaining a power connection (and have a friend that has one that can attest to that). Maintaining power is important as an outage due to a dodgey connection ruins your alignment (and wondering when it will happen again).
Old 04-10-2021, 07:40 AM
JA

Hi S,

There is a Skywatcher HEQ5 advertised on Facebook Market place in the Astronomy Buy Sell and Wanted group in the Melbourne area for $1K.
See...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2778...50075165173541

You may need to be a member of the FB group to see the item - not sure.

Best
JA
Old 04-10-2021, 07:52 AM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi S,

There is a Skywatcher HEQ5 advertised on Facebook Market place in the Astronomy Buy Sell and Wanted group in the Melbourne area for $1K.
See...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2778...50075165173541

You may need to be a member of the FB group to see the item - not sure.

Best
JA
Thanks JA, in the end though, I have decided to go for the EQ6-R pro. True, more expensive, but I hear it’s worth every extra penny and means my setup is pretty much future proof. I will try to buy many things second hand, with the exception of the mount which I’m hoping will perform at its best if I buy it new.

Cheers,
Stéphane
Old 05-10-2021, 05:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Stephane
I notice you are in Preston . .that was where I was born.
I have followed this thread and very happy that you are going with EQ6-R pro.
I purchased my first EQ6 so long ago I cant remember but perhaps some 15 years ago. I tweaked a little but it has been and still is a wonderful mount.
Recently ( last year) I purchased the EQ6-R pro and think it is wonderful and I have not seen sny need to pull it down for a tweek.
Future proof..in astrophotography..mmm not sure about that although I am waiting on a EQ8R to turn up as my attempt ... However the EQ6-R pro currently has my new RASA 11 inch sitting on it and so far it seems to be happy..On the old EQ6 for a while I carried a F5 12 inch Newtonian ( from a Bintel dob ) and it tracked ok...
Good luck I say you will not regret your choice.
Alex
Old 05-10-2021, 08:22 AM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Stephane
I notice you are in Preston . .that was where I was born.
I have followed this thread and very happy that you are going with EQ6-R pro.
I purchased my first EQ6 so long ago I cant remember but perhaps some 15 years ago. I tweaked a little but it has been and still is a wonderful mount.
Recently ( last year) I purchased the EQ6-R pro and think it is wonderful and I have not seen sny need to pull it down for a tweek.
Future proof..in astrophotography..mmm not sure about that although I am waiting on a EQ8R to turn up as my attempt ... However the EQ6-R pro currently has my new RASA 11 inch sitting on it and so far it seems to be happy..On the old EQ6 for a while I carried a F5 12 inch Newtonian ( from a Bintel dob ) and it tracked ok...
Good luck I say you will not regret your choice.
Alex
Thanks Alex! So far, I have heard nothing but positive comments about the EQR-6 (except for the price, ouch!). I just need time (and lots and lots of advice) to set up my first rig. I think I’m pretty much there now and hopefully will be able to start imaging in January.

Cheers,
Stéphane
Old 05-10-2021, 10:45 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Stephane
Glad you decided on the EQ6-R mount , you won’t be disappointed ( I use 2 of them, the older and newer versions)
There’s plenty of help too when you eventually set up early next year
Alex
I’m happy to hear your EQ8-R is on its way. I’m a little bit dubious about this mount as there have been teething problems with it ( as read on Cloudy Nights and the EQ8 User Group ) But hopefully these are all resolved now
I’ll wait a little longer until I decide some time next year if I upgrade from the EQ6-R to the EQ8-R due to increased payload ( nothing else ) 10” f5 carbon fibre newt ?

Cheers
Martin