Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 AM
allan gould

Andrews 16" GSO RC

I see Andrews are advertising the 16" GSO RC with carbon fibre tube for $5000. Who's going to be the first to bite? Great price and due in April.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Thanks for the heads up Allan. I had to clear chrome's cache to see it.
I wonder what else I'm not seeing
Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Who's going to be the first to bite?
And will they bring it to Qld Astrofest for the rest of us to drool over?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Satchmo

I've noticed that no one has produced any results with the 12" RC even the guy on this Forum that got a shop discount about 18 months ago to review it here- I wonder what the issues were.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:28 AM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
I've noticed that no one has produced any results with the 12" RC even the guy on this Forum that got a shop discount about 18 months ago to review it here- I wonder what the issues were.
I just had a look at wolfgang rohr's test of gso rc mirrors. My German is poor and most of the diagrams are beyond me.

Mark maybe you could translate?

http://www.astro-foren.de/showthread...scher-Berichte
Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Satchmo

The closest thing I can find there to a 12" RC there is a GSO 10" RC and the Strehl ratio tested at 0.27 ....very poor optical quality.

I wasn't suggesting an optical problem - there is much more to do with opto - mechanical issues that can kill a telescope.

Can anyone remember who was testing the 12" RC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I just had a look at wolfgang rohr's test of gso rc mirrors. My German is poor and most of the diagrams are beyond me.

Mark maybe you could translate?

http://www.astro-foren.de/showthread...scher-Berichte
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Mighty_oz (Marcus)

Paul Haese has one is this what u were looking for ? http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=75483
Old 10-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Wrong Mark, I have been doing imaging with the unit and it works perfectly fine. I just have not got around to producing a review yet.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I found GSO optics to be too variable in optical quality, hence made the decision to stop importing them some years ago. My experience has always been you get what you pay for.

Mechanical and thermal control of larger optics can make a good optic very ordinary, and get almost exponentially difficult to control as aperture increases...hence I'd be wary. The good thing about Oz is we have good consumer laws, so if it it doesn't perform as advertised, you can insist on a remedy.

Then again, if all that is advertised is that it's 1) a RC optical configuration 2) 16" aperture, these two things do not guarantee it will focus well !
Old 10-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Wrong Mark, I have been doing imaging with the unit and it works perfectly fine. I just have not got around to producing a review yet.
What am I wrong about , Paul ? I simply said I wonder what the issues were. Nearly two years is a long time to wait for a review ?

It is unlike you not to promote any good results you achieve, here in short time.

How about a mini review and some sample pictures given you seem to be the only RC12 owner on IIS and there is growing interest in the soon to be released 16" RC. Marrying a budget Cass with a premium mount like a Paramount is an excellent chance to evaluate how the unit works opto-mechanically.

Last edited by Satchmo; 10-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Paul Haese

Ok I'll bite. I have provided images on this forum. And I seem to have provided a mini review at one point. Take a look around. Next foot.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Satchmo

Nice shot of NGC 253, Paul . I looked at that massive thread on the instrument - stalled 1.75 years ago without a single finished image posted except a test star field.

Could you direct me to other shots taken with the instrument ?

Reading between the lines I can only surmise that this instrument was not all you expected ( for whatever reason ) judging from the dearth of publicly posted photos ? You mention you got 15 finished photos with your RC8 ....
Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Paul Haese

Mark, I think you are just assuming too much and trying to read something into the scope that is not there.

I have done an image of the grus triplet but it has significant flexure in the image due to guiding without an OAG. However, here it is.

I also did a trifid shot with it too, but that was in monochrome and no colour.

No reading between the lines really. I have diversified my imaging to the point that I now find it hard to get all the imaging I want done. I really have to get two observatories fully automated to make this happen. Weather has made it a little hard to image with the 12 too. I am doing Solar, planetary, DSO wide, DSO narrow and time lapse. In between I have to sleep and conduct a business and this has taken priority in the last year or so. Not to mention taking care of several properties and looking after my wife. Having been ill for the last 2 months makes it hard too.

There is nothing wrong with the optics that I can see and I think it represents good value for money. I finished a review today (thanks to your prompting) and posted it on line here. The scope has some warts but some of this is to do with dew control, the type of tube and the focusor. Time is of the essence for me and hard to get hold of at the moment. Time to get the parts, time to decide what object to image and in the mean time undertake dealing with two bung solar scopes and imaging projects I want to finish.

Besides all this I wonder what possible interest you have in the equation. Like I said in the thread where I took possession of the scope you are Newt fan and not likely to ever buy an RC; and I just think your comments are not constructive to the thread really. You make wild speculations about what is going on and you really don't know what is going on do you?

That is all I am going to say on the subject now. I hope this has helped you Allan.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Poita (Peter)

Any news on what it weighs?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

I did some enquiries earlier last year about the scope. At that stage it was a truss design rather than a tube. So I image it would not weigh a ton.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Poita (Peter)

It would be nice if they had say an f16 optional secondary like I think the Aries has, then you would have a small obstruction planetary scope as part of the deal.
I'm not sure what the obstruction would be on the GSO 16" RC, but as they get bigger I think the obstruction gets smaller an starts to approach SCT rates anyway.

Might be a good planetary beast.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 PM
allan gould

Thanks for all the information. Clear and succinct as usual and loved the review of the 12"
Allan
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Satchmo

Thanks for taking the time to explain., Paul.
I guess I was wondering whether the purchase of a much larger telescope just leads to less work done with it. Is there a sweet spot at 10 " maybe?

I'm personally interested as I am planning to build an observatory for imaging in the next few years and if a 16" RC on a an EQ8 would seem to make some sense as I am only interested in imaging galaxies and would like a good image scale.

I didn't go clearly go far enough with my wondering as to what the reasons- I didn't speculate that you just hadn't got around to posting a picture taken with it - at least in the telescope review thread...and it would be easy for me to have missed the other images.

Can you give me some links to the other two photos- would love to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Besides all this I wonder what possible interest you have in the equation. Like I said in the thread where I took possession of the scope you are Newt fan and not likely to ever buy an RC; and I just think your comments are not constructive to the thread really. You make wild speculations about what is going on and you really don't know what is going on do you?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:49 AM
alpal

Quote:
The closest thing I can find there to a 12" RC there is a GSO 10" RC and the Strehl ratio tested at 0.27 ....very poor optical quality.

I wasn't suggesting an optical problem - there is much more to do with opto - mechanical issues that can kill a telescope.

Can anyone remember who was testing the 12" RC?

I wouldn't call 0.27 poor - I would call it faulty.

Have you got a link for that?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Paul Haese

Fro further images Mark see the thread I started about the GSORC12 review. Also take a look for a trifid shot I put here taken with the GSORC12 last year.