Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 AM
EclipseMaestro (Xavier)
Eclipse Maps & Software

Just to let you all know that Solar Eclipse Maestro 1.8.3v3 is now available.

A minor fix was added for the scripted movie recording feature on Nikon cameras. No more updates will be done prior to TSE 2012.

There are two versions, one Universal Binary and the other Intel. The UB version does support Canon's legacy cameras (350D, 20D/20Da, 5D) but not the latest models such as the 1D X, while the Intel version doesn't support Canon's legacy cameras but does support all the latest models.
Of course all Nikon cameras are supported by both versions, and all SBIG CCD cameras with their filters wheels as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 AM
gregbradley

Exposure settings

I guess the whole point of this automated approach is at total solar eclipse sites the exposures will vary a lot as it gets darker.

But for those who are only seeing a partial eclipse the exposure settings probably won't change too much.

Around Sydney with 60 something percent eclipse it may end up being fastest shutter speed, highish F ratio, lowest ISO.

I've been testing with various lenses.

A Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 ED seems the best so far with a variable ND filter blocking out a lot of the extra light. The trouble is with these filters is it makes the sky mostly black which could make for a not so great final image. The 24-70 showed some cloud when it was nearby but the 180mm or 300mm did not. Also the image took considerable enlargement before breakdown with a Nikon D800E. But still not what I would consider a beautiful image.

Any thoughts about how best to expose for partial eclipse? I would like to see some blue sky in the shot. Perhaps it will need a composite to achieve that. Or perhaps a HDR but even that, the brightness range would have to be massive to achieve a normal blue sky. So widerfield lenses may end up taking the better shot?

Greg.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM
gregbradley

example sun images

Here are some test images I have taken so far.

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/147225630/large TEC110
http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/147235689 Nikon 24-70mm Variable ND filter some high thin cloud
http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/147235699 Nikon 24-70 variable ND filter no cloud

The telescope ones are yellowish/orange and to me look fine but no surrounding environment. Would be good for Baileys beads, the diamond ring etc.

The lens ones I used a variable ND filter to be able to expose it. The last one is dead boring with a black background. The ones with the high thin cloud look nice to me. That's 70mm.

I am thinking after doing this test that I should cruise the net looking for examples of eclipse images I like and see what setup they used. Otherwise I can see that these filtered images could be very boring indeed.

Greg.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
boardriderz (Jimmy)

Port Douglas viewing

Hi everyone,

I'm a little late to chime in here, but never to late I hope. I have arrived in Port Douglas for the eclipse and currently testing my gear for the event. I have my Orion Atlas EQ-G, AT6RC and AT65EDQ with 2 canon DSLR's all set to go. I will be using Eclipse Orchestrator Pro to run the cameras but haveing trouble getting it to talk to both cameras together???

Is anyone running Eclipse orchestrator and using it to run multiple cameras, which it is supposed to be able to do and if so how did you script it? I have a great script for the whole event programmed fore the 40D of over 120 shots. And if all else fails I wiull just run the script for the 40D/AT6RC combo and use a cable release and bracketing for the Corona shots for the 30D/AT65EDQ combo piggy backed on top.

The only other issue I have come across is that they have closed off a lot of access to the areas I have previously scouted to shoot from..... I now have to find a new place tomorrow, probably a little inland and up the coastal hills? Is anyone else watching it up in Port Douglas and have any suggestions?

Regards

Jimmy