Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 AM
jamiep (Jamie)

I'll be trying one anyway - it's been a long time between drinks since the 20Da, and may be a long time again depending on the popularity of this model.

I have a standard 60D and it's a great little camera.

Jamie
Old 19-04-2012, 09:38 PM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

Well, they were released today. Who went and bought one? We want to know how they go!
Old 19-04-2012, 09:46 PM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
This is true, live-view increases thermal noise. So I use it to focus, frame and then turn it off for the rest of the night.
After about 1 minute of live-view you need 8 minutes off for the sensor to be back at the temperature it started.
I've read that the flip out liveview is far more desirable as it moves one of the largest causes of thermal noise in the camera (the LCD screen) away from backing directly onto the CMOS chip, as in the case with the fixed LCD screen DSLR's.

Whether or not this was concerted opinion or backed up with any actual tests or not I really don't know. Seems quite plausible. If that is the case I wonder what the difference in thermal noise from the LCD screen difference is between flip out and fixed position LCD screens.
Old 19-04-2012, 10:51 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Not a single aussie dealer I have contacted has got back to me with a price and eta for two bodies, obviously no one wants the money?
unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki78 View Post
Well, they were released today. Who went and bought one? We want to know how they go!

Last edited by h0ughy; 20-04-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: bypass profanity filter
Old 19-04-2012, 10:59 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Coming very soon, and local supplier!

Cheers Petra d.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:35 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Just looking at the specs, I see that the pixels are pretty small - something like 4.3 microns. That will suit some scopes of course but with others it will be a limitation.

I cancelled my order for one - for now - my recent experience with the 1000D was pretty negative so I figured it might be better to wait and see.
Peter
Old 20-04-2012, 12:04 AM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Not a single aussie dealer I have contacted has got back to me with a price and eta for two bodies, obviously no one wants the money?
&@$:;ing unbelievable!
Digital Camera Warehouse in Sydney has had them on their site for a while and for sale as of today

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod8839.htm
Old 20-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Eris (Gerard)

Last week I saw one advertised on Ted's website for $999.95 (body only). They must have had it mixed up with the D60. It was promptly jacked up to $1699.95 the day after.
Old 20-04-2012, 02:39 AM
luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki78 View Post
I've read that the flip out liveview is far more desirable as it moves one of the largest causes of thermal noise in the camera (the LCD screen) away from backing directly onto the CMOS chip, as in the case with the fixed LCD screen DSLR's.

Whether or not this was concerted opinion or backed up with any actual tests or not I really don't know. Seems quite plausible. If that is the case I wonder what the difference in thermal noise from the LCD screen difference is between flip out and fixed position LCD screens.
This is very interesting I didn't think about it. Thank you!
If the flip screen helps the neck, the back and the thermal noise then it's a great thing!
Old 20-04-2012, 08:51 AM
roddz (Rodd)

60Da has arrived!

Got mine yesterday!
Canon was very quick in delivering them.
Looks good but haven't had a chance to try it as its cloudy here.
Geelong club has a star party this weekend, but looks like being cloudy.
Murphys law?
Old 20-04-2012, 09:02 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
J
I cancelled my order for one - for now - my recent experience with the 1000D was pretty negative so I figured it might be better to wait and see.
Peter
The 60D and 1000D are worlds apart.

The 60D comes from the heritage of the 20D and 40D - good stock!
Old 20-04-2012, 11:42 AM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddz View Post
Got mine yesterday!
Canon was very quick in delivering them.
Looks good but haven't had a chance to try it as its cloudy here.
Geelong club has a star party this weekend, but looks like being cloudy.
Murphys law?
Well it seems you're the only one of us with one so far so I think I can speak for all of us when I say we are hoping you get clear skies this weekend and a chance to test it out. Then to come running back to us and tell us all about it of course
Old 20-04-2012, 01:03 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Just looking at the specs, I see that the pixels are pretty small - something like 4.3 microns. That will suit some scopes of course but with others it will be a limitation.

Peter
How so? The 1000D is an entry level camera, the 60D is mid. Canon EOS's are No.1 when it comes to software and astrophotography. The 1000D is a bit on the noisy side without being cooled but i would still go one over a nikon 3100 for ap work for the software support alone.

Heres something real fun http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1100D/10 just select raws and see how things turn out lol, you can even scroll down to raw section and play.

Last edited by 2stroke; 20-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 20-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

I just received an email from John Sarkissian announcing that the major prize for the Overall Winner in this year's David Malin Awards is the new Canon 60Da DSLR! A great and fitting prize. Well done Canon!
Old 21-04-2012, 08:15 AM
soundworthy (Michael)
Digital Audio Sculptor

Sensor size?

Forgive my noobness,
Does the larger sensor size of the 5DmkII offer more than the smaller 60Da sensor size?

In general I'm looking for pros and cons, a comparison of the 5d2 and the 60da, anyone?
Old 21-04-2012, 10:14 AM
gregbradley

There's a 5D2 on Astromart for $2000 thats been modified with Astrodon replacement filter. The sample images are fabulous.

There is no substitute for a large sensor but it does place demands on the scope. You need a focuser and scope that has a large enough corrected circle to illuminate the sensor without coma. Usually that also means using a flattener and 3 inch focusers or larger. Some report success with 2.7 inch focuser so it may depend on scope model.

Greg.
Old 22-04-2012, 09:18 AM
soundworthy (Michael)
Digital Audio Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
There's a 5D2 on Astromart for $2000 thats been modified with Astrodon replacement filter. The sample images are fabulous.

There is no substitute for a large sensor but it does place demands on the scope. You need a focuser and scope that has a large enough corrected circle to illuminate the sensor without coma. Usually that also means using a flattener and 3 inch focusers or larger. Some report success with 2.7 inch focuser so it may depend on scope model.

Greg.
I'm going to get the P-FLAT68, but why a 3inch focuser?
Old 22-04-2012, 06:27 PM
gregbradley

You'd really need to ask for owners of specific telescopes you are interested.

I am basing that comment on a Tak FS152 with a 2.7 inch focuser. I tried various flatteners etc and got very bad vignetting.

I ended up upgrading its focuser to 4 inch and it was all good.

Someone posted they had success with a TOA130 and 2.7 inch focuser so perhaps it was a better flattener than the one I used.

Greg.