Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 03-10-2021, 11:16 PM
raf.serrano (Raf)

Celestron Mount Rebuild

Hi all, I just recently got a used Celestron CGEM mount, my first full size mount as I have been using the AZ Gti. The mount has a little bit of wiggle on the dovetail clamp and counterweight shaft so thinking of opening it up to see if its something I can fix and maybe regrease the bearings too.

Problem is I cant see any videos of a Celestron CGEM rebuild, anyone have recommendations? Would there be a similar mount rebuild instructions I can refer to disadsemble the mount? Also what is a good way to remove oil and stuck grease?

Any advice and words of wisdom is greatly appreciated, clear skies
Old 04-10-2021, 07:52 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

I remove Synta's factory glue-grease with charcoal-lighter fluid, used for grilling food outdoors. It's a light grade of kerosene, and cuts right through the old grease...

Click image for larger version

Name:	RA de-greasing.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	281579

The CGEM is considered too complicated to work on by the average user, which is probably why you're having trouble finding renovation material. Of course, I would work on one regardless, so welcome to the DIY club.

There are folks working on theirs on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Celestron+CGEM
Old 04-10-2021, 08:08 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf.serrano View Post
Hi all, I just recently got a used Celestron CGEM mount, my first full size mount as I have been using the AZ Gti. The mount has a little bit of wiggle on the dovetail clamp and counterweight shaft so thinking of opening it up to see if its something I can fix and maybe regrease the bearings too.

Problem is I cant see any videos of a Celestron CGEM rebuild, anyone have recommendations? Would there be a similar mount rebuild instructions I can refer to disadsemble the mount? Also what is a good way to remove oil and stuck grease?

Any advice and words of wisdom is greatly appreciated, clear skies
WD40. Soak the bearings in there then rince and dry them and pack them back with bearing grease. If they're sealed bearings then leave them as is. For any other cleaning turp and a bucket with a brush.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:27 PM
raf.serrano (Raf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldest_Sibling View Post
I remove Synta's factory glue-grease with charcoal-lighter fluid, used for grilling food outdoors. It's a light grade of kerosene, and cuts right through the old grease...

Attachment 281579

The CGEM is considered too complicated to work on by the average user, which is probably why you're having trouble finding renovation material. Of course, I would work on one regardless, so welcome to the DIY club.

There are folks working on theirs on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Celestron+CGEM
Wow there's a lot of resource when you remove the "hypertune" keyword thanks so much Alan.

Not sure though if I would pass beyond an average user, the only thing I was able to accomplish at the moment is to fix the play from an AZ-Gti RA and dec but then that is a tiny mount and fairly easy to disassemble

I'll also have a look at that charcoal-lighter fluid, I'm planning to clean and regrease the motor reduction gears as well if my comprehension can fathom how to access that

cheers mate!
Old 04-10-2021, 08:30 PM
raf.serrano (Raf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
WD40. Soak the bearings in there then rince and dry them and pack them back with bearing grease. If they're sealed bearings then leave them as is. For any other cleaning turp and a bucket with a brush.
Got it, thanks for the advise Marc, not sure before if I should use the grease removing kitchen chemicals asking around most likely saved the life of my mount haha
Old 05-10-2021, 05:54 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf.serrano View Post
Wow there's a lot of resource when you remove the "hypertune" keyword thanks so much Alan.

Not sure though if I would pass beyond an average user, the only thing I was able to accomplish at the moment is to fix the play from an AZ-Gti RA and dec but then that is a tiny mount and fairly easy to disassemble

I'll also have a look at that charcoal-lighter fluid, I'm planning to clean and regrease the motor reduction gears as well if my comprehension can fathom how to access that

cheers mate!
You're most welcome. Do take photographs as you go along, documenting the process. Proceed slowly, patiently, photographing every little thing, and more besides.

I use this heavy-duty grade of Super Lube for re-greasing my mounts...

Name:	Super Lube3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	281584

Name:	Super Lube cartridge2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	281586

Name:	Super Lube cartridge3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	281585

But others have used others to good effect.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:59 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Raf have a search through cloudy nights as there may be some links there. I found a link in there for my CGX rebuild.
+1 for super lube.
Bo
Old 06-10-2021, 02:53 AM
raf.serrano (Raf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldest_Sibling View Post
You're most welcome. Do take photographs as you go along, documenting the process. Proceed slowly, patiently, photographing every little thing, and more besides.

I use this heavy-duty grade of Super Lube for re-greasing my mounts...

Attachment 281584

Attachment 281586

Attachment 281585

But others have used others to good effect.
Thanks again Alan, have Superlube on the way, the grease and spray both with PTFE.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:53 AM
raf.serrano (Raf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Raf have a search through cloudy nights as there may be some links there. I found a link in there for my CGX rebuild.
+1 for super lube.
Bo
Thanks bo will have a look in Cloudy Nights as well.