Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-10-2021, 11:21 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Finder Scope

Round January of 2020, perhaps some time before, I was wanting a finder-scope for my blind-as-a-bat 127/1900 Maksutov...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maksutov5c.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	282661

I say "blind" for it will be used with manual mounts. A go-to mount is practically out of the question, as I have too many trees upon the lay. In addition, a suitable go-to mount for said telescope would cost more, much more, than I am able or willing to pay.

I didn't want an 8x50 or 9x50 RACI finder-scope; no, out of the question.

50mm is really too small, dim, not to mention the narrow view of the integrated erect-image diagonal. Then, an 80mm is too large and bulky. That leaves something along the lines of a 60mm, or a 70mm even.

There is the Orion(of California) "70mm Multi-Use Finder Scope", a 70mm(actually 63-66mm) aperture at f/4...

https://i.imgur.com/GpbhFAw.jpg

But that one is not what it seemed to be, in the beginning. There have been complaints about the helical-focusser, the lack of thumb-screws to secure eyepieces/diagonals, focussing issues with this eyepiece and that diagonal, poor optics/astigmatism, et al. In addition, specifically, a 32mm Plossl will not come to focus.

I had taken a hard look at that one, but fortunately, in hindsight, I ran from it, leaving it in the star-dust.

No, the only thing that was going to do it for me was a 70/300, a 70mm f/4.3, achromatic-refractor.

There is a veritable sea of them, albeit a small one, on eBay and elsewhere, under this suspect marque and that, the listings oft with glamorous sales-pitches, full of hope, and promises of many merry respites under the stars...

https://i.imgur.com/QSGRSqc.jpg

But I was leery, suspicious of those. Does this one come with a 1.25" visual-back, then, does that one come with a glass, or a plastic doublet; or, the three Fates forbid, a singlet?

To avoid all of those uncertainties, I purchased the most expensive one I could find...

Name:	package.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	282662

...the Barska 30070-225 "Starwatcher", and for US$50.

But there's a catch, quite a few actually; for one, you can't use it fresh out of the box.
Old 27-10-2021, 05:56 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The exhortations...

Name:	package3b.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	282698

I can't use a solid refractor. If it's solid, how might one be expected to see through it?

Name:	package4b.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	282699

The highest power, stated twice on the box, 225x, just so happens to be the exact same magnification that I was able to achieve with one of my 70mm f/12.9 achromats, and far more easily I might add.

Very well, I will hold them to that.

The kit came rather well-equipped, albeit with refuse...

Name:	case2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	282700

Name:	achromat8.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	282701

But after all, in the end, I was after just the telescope itself...

Name:	achromat3.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	282702

I find my efforts, when working on astronomy equipment, most rewarding in the renovation of entry-level telescopic OTAs from overseas, those mass-produced. My goal has always been to make them the very best that they can possibly be. Indeed, fortune has been on my side in that the vast majority of the objectives of these telescopes have proved to be, at least, of very good quality. I, personally, cannot re-figure mirrors, let alone lenses, therefore I am somewhat dependent, but I can do practically anything and everything else associated therewith, from fore, to aft.
Old 27-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The achromat, its anatomy, exploded...

The first thing to do was to remove a most proprietary mounting-interface...

Name:	mounting interface2.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	282718

The focusser was easy enough to remove...

Name:	focusser.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	282712

The bull-horn of a dew-shield pulled right off...

Name:	dew shield.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	282713

The cell for the doublet was not secured to the OTA with screws, but with glue...

Name:	doublet cell.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	282714

It was held by cement rather than the usual "super glue"...

Name:	cell removal.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	282715

I wasn't surprised in the least by that. I can incorporate screws and nuts easily enough.

The paint where the cell attached to the OTA was damaged, so I removed it...

Name:	aluminum2b.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	282716

Happily, placing a neodymium magnet adjacent to the OTA revealed that it is of aluminium; the lighter the better...

Name:	neodymium.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	282717
Old 27-10-2021, 08:23 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

There was something rather odd, strange about this telescope upon its arrival. I took only one snapshot prior to its renovation, through one of the bundled eyepieces inserted into the provided star-mirror diagonal, and during the day...

Name:	103119.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	282719

That is what was so odd. It's a 70mm f/4.3 achromat, but I can't really see any false-colour within that image.

After a time, I had learned that this particular configuration of an achromat, and quite probably many others if not all of them, arrived as a 30mm f/10 instead.

Hmm, what do we have here...

Name:	tube baffle.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	282720

A baffle, a field-stop in this instance, and utter madness in the factory having installed it; or rather in having slyly done so? It was easy enough to remove...

Name:	tube baffle2.jpg
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	282721

Then, to make the stopping-down even worse, the draw-tube of the focusser is much too long, strangling the entering light...

Name:	draw-tube2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	282722

Worse still, the draw-tube contained a baffle of its very own. I could kick myself for not having photographed it, prior to removing it...

Name:	draw-tube baffle.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	282723

Then, on top of that, just inside the focusser's housing, a wall arose round the draw-tube's run...

Name:	focusser housing4.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	282724

I had cut that back, too. I had also cut the draw-tube down...

Name:	drawtube2.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	282725

I was all set, and to enjoy a full 70mm aperture at my disposal, or so I had thought.
Old 28-10-2021, 12:15 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Alan. I'm enjoying your efforts to make a silk purse out of a cows' ear.
Cheers, Richard.
ps. How is your Meade mount that you did up performing?
Old 28-10-2021, 01:27 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Hi Alan.

Enjoyed your story, having done much the same several years ago. Wanted a larger diameter finder for my 12.5" dob and saw the adds on Ebay for the 70 X 300mm refractors so bought one for $45, at the time
Worked out, as you have done, that the baffles were useless, reducing the effective aperture to what I worked out, to about 40mm and the included eyepieces and barlow were better off in the bin and were only the .945" type, 24.5mm I think. Did as you have done and cut the length of the drawtube by half and carefully machined out the plastic at the eyepiece end to accommodate an 1.25" correct image diagonal. Removed the tripod mounting interface as well and made up some 80mm ID rings and standard finder sized dovetail.

Didn't see any need to remove the objective, so the glue etc didn't concern me but painting the inside of the dewshield with flat black helped reduce stray light. All up, for less than $100, including the 1.25" diagonal and 32mm plossel I ended up with a quite serviceable 9 X 70mm finder with a field of view of about 5 deg. At that magnification false colour is not a problem and the field is sharp almost to the edge.
Old 29-10-2021, 10:42 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Alan. I'm enjoying your efforts to make a silk purse out of a cows' ear.
Cheers, Richard.
ps. How is your Meade mount that you did up performing?
Oh, I haven't taken that mount outdoors yet. I've been working on, not just that mount, but on other things as well.

But never fear, as that mount-head is now light-years away from the way it was upon arrival, and I will be updating when the time comes.
Old 29-10-2021, 10:43 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Hi Alan.

Enjoyed your story, having done much the same several years ago. Wanted a larger diameter finder for my 12.5" dob and saw the adds on Ebay for the 70 X 300mm refractors so bought one for $45, at the time
Worked out, as you have done, that the baffles were useless, reducing the effective aperture to what I worked out, to about 40mm and the included eyepieces and barlow were better off in the bin and were only the .945" type, 24.5mm I think. Did as you have done and cut the length of the drawtube by half and carefully machined out the plastic at the eyepiece end to accommodate an 1.25" correct image diagonal. Removed the tripod mounting interface as well and made up some 80mm ID rings and standard finder sized dovetail.

Didn't see any need to remove the objective, so the glue etc didn't concern me but painting the inside of the dewshield with flat black helped reduce stray light. All up, for less than $100, including the 1.25" diagonal and 32mm plossel I ended up with a quite serviceable 9 X 70mm finder with a field of view of about 5 deg. At that magnification false colour is not a problem and the field is sharp almost to the edge.
Thanks for your adventure as well. As for my own, there's more to come, much more.
Old 29-10-2021, 11:05 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The doublet proved to be of glass, after all...

Name:	doublet2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	282819

Name:	doublet.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	282820

...and with a coarse, rough, textured, approximately 1mm thick spacer-ring...

Name:	doublet spacer2.jpg
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	282821

Name:	doublet spacer.jpg
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	282822

That will be replaced with tabs.

At least one of the lenses are coated, on one side, the front of the crown-element, I expect, I hope.

Last edited by Eldest_Sibling; 29-10-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 29-10-2021, 11:46 AM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The focusser is really the only mechanical component of a refractor, and therefore most critical to the telescope's collimation. With those of entry-level kits, like this one, and of others I have, the draw-tube is not necessarily square to its run within the housing, nor is the draw-tube slop-free. At a mid-point, or when racked fully outward, at least, the draw-tube wiggles, wobbles.

I had given the original focusser the works. Strips of PTFE as bearings for the draw-tube's run...

Name:	PTFE.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	282823

Bronze bearings for the pinion-gear's shaft, even...

Name:	pinion-shaft bearings2.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	282824

Alas, it was to be my "Feather Touch" or "MoonLite" -esque or -ish focusser, but in the end it didn't pan out, not to my complete satisfaction. The main problem was simply my having to cut down the focusser in the first place. It was inexcusable for the factory to have included a long draw-tube for a short achromat. Also, the draw-tube's run seemed defective, uneven.

I went ahead and used it as is, and for testing for the proper spacing of the doublet. I use HVAC-type aluminium tape for spacers, at 0.09mm in thickness...

Name:	HVAC tape.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	282825

I layer large pieces of the tape, one on top of the other, depending on the thickness required, and cut the spacers out from that; for example, this edge-blackened doublet from a 70mm f/12.9 achromat...

Name:	doublet spacers.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	282827
Old 29-10-2021, 12:43 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

With the proprietary mounting-interface removed, the optical-tube had two holes left behind...

Name:	OTA2.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	282828

If I'm not going to strip the optical-tube of its paint, I insert set-screws into the holes, epoxying them in place, but in this case, I wanted the tube blank, with no marque upon it. So, I filled the holes by epoxying thin disks of aluminium on the inside...

Name:	OTA3c.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	282829

Name:	OTA3.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	282830

...then filled the depressions left on the outside, and all with J-B Weld steel-reinforced epoxy...

Name:	OTA3b.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	282831

Name:	OTA3d.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	282832

The OTA was painted. After a bit of trial-and-error, this is actually the second coat of paint...

Name:	OTA9.jpg
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	282833

It takes well over a week before it can actually be handled and used.

Last edited by Eldest_Sibling; 29-10-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old 29-10-2021, 01:12 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

This bull-horn of a dew-shield...

Name:	dew shield.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	282834

No.

I made a slimmer shield of aluminium flashing, for roofs and other. I also cut off the bulk of the original shield...

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	282835

The aluminium shield was epoxied to the remainder of the original dew-shield, the portion that slips over the lens-cell. I then cut a thin strip out the original shield, at the finished end...

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	282836

...and epoxied it within the new shield at the front, to strengthen, to make it rigid...

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	282837

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	282838

Where the new shield joined the retained portion of the original, I had this to fill, all round...

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	282839

Filled with the epoxy and smoothed...

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	282840
Old 29-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The dew-shield, continued...

Much better, more in scale...

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	282841

I masked off the outside of the shield, and painted the inside with matte, chalkboard black...

Name:	12b.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	282845

I didn't paint the tapered portion of the shield. I simply took 100% acetone and "painted" it, which restored its glossy finish...

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	282842

I masked off the interior and the tapered portion, then applied the finish...

Name:	15b.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	282846

Name:	17c.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	282847
Old 29-10-2021, 02:02 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Once the first coat of paint on the optical-tube had cured, I flocked the inside...

Name:	flocking3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	282851

Later, I had painted the tube again, as the first painting had flaws.

The retaining-ring for the doublet blackened, and dulled, where required...

Name:	blackening.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	282852

Name:	blackening2.jpg
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	282853

The lens-cell itself was not blackened, no need, but certain areas were dulled just in case...

Name:	lens-cell prep.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	282854

The lens-cell, with the doublet installed and retained, completed...

Name:	lens cell.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	282855

I've yet to blacken the edges of the doublet. That will come later after I'm done testing for the spacers.
Old 29-10-2021, 03:04 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Fortune does indeed favour the foolish, namely myself.

One day, somehow, some way, I landed on AliExpress, and most happily discovered this...

https://i.imgur.com/o1qNFjm.jpg

The focusser was practically identical to my own, with a shorter draw-tube, and without the original's shortcomings, I hoped.

I promptly ordered it. What did I have to lose? I was desperate for a replacement. I sat here, utterly amazed and dumbfounded that it was available in the first place. It's as though these sellers knew just how inappropriate, shoddy, the original focussers of these short 70mm achromats were, and are still.

It didn't take too long to arrive...

Name:	new focusser3.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	282856

A chance of a lifetime, a new beginning...

Name:	new focusser5.jpg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	282858

Name:	new focusser4.jpg
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	282857

I didn't get the solid, knubby knobs for focussing...

Name:	new focusser7.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	282859

...but who cares. Instead, I got two, count 'em, two thumb-screws for the visual-back...

Name:	new focusser4b.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	282863

...with large knobs. Even the name-brand entry-level kits don't have those.

The old one came with just one, and I had been fighting it.

In addition, no need to cut back the draw-tube's run...

Name:	new focusser8.jpg
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	282861

...like I had to do for the old one...

Name:	focusser housing3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	282862
Old 29-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The new focusser, continued...

Out with old, in with the new...

Name:	new focusser12b.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	282866

Name:	new focusser12d.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	282867

There was no baffle within the new, shorter draw-tube, either...

Name:	new focusser11.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	282864

...as there was within the original, longer one.

The visual-back accommodates my diagonals easily, but most importantly, my fattest eyepiece...

Name:	new focusser15.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	282865

Not that I'm going to be able to observe straight-through with this achromat, à la Japanese, although I might be able with those of shorter focal-lengths. I've already tested a 32mm Plossl straight-through, and I had to hold the eyepiece about an inch out and away from the visual-back in order to come to focus. Hmm, I could attach a short extension.
Old 29-10-2021, 05:00 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Aan. I have a Parks 25mm Kellner (made in Japan) from the early 90's. It's is surprisingly good.
Cheers, Richard.
Old 29-10-2021, 05:06 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Aan. I have a Parks 25mm Kellner (made in Japan) from the early 90's. It's is surprisingly good.
Cheers, Richard.
My own came with my Parks 8" f/5 OTA in 2003 or '04. Did you get yours with your Parks telescope?
Old 29-10-2021, 05:26 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Yes Alan. Also a 10mm plossl which was very good.
Old 29-10-2021, 07:45 PM
Eldest_Sibling (Alan)

The time came to renovate the new focusser. Whilst it was quite good upon arrival, the draw-tube with negligible slop, it was still not up to my standards. I removed the draw-tube, and discovered these within its run, and as bearings or shims...

Name:	new focusser17a.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	282879

They straddled plastic ridges which act as permanent, molded bearings for the draw-tube, to centre same.

At first, I thought that they might be of woven metal...

Name:	new focusser17c.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	282880

But they appear more like woven fibre-glass, after I examined them more closely. You can see within that image how the "fabric" has been damaged, and where it had straddled a ridge.

In any event, I had never seen anything like that being used as such. I've always been used to seeing these...

Name:	cherry rolls2.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	282881

...corrugated plastic strips, which bear an eerie resemblance to the paper-trays of cherry-rolls or coffee-cakes. I have always removed and replaced those.

Life's too short, so out they came. This time round, I left the plastic ridges within the run alone. I had ground them down within the original focusser, and to make way for the strips of PTFE.

These are the screws for attaching the original focusser to the optical-tube...

Name:	old focusser screws.jpg
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	282882

You can see how I've X-ed them out. They're like sheet-metal screws, but for plastic. They work okay, and there are three pre-drilled pilot-holes for them from the factory, round the new focusser's flange, but I wanted better to secure the focusser. Common and stainless steel hardware...

Name:	new focusser19da.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	282883

I had to drill new holes into the new focusser's flange to match the position of the holes of the optical-tube. Three #6 common-steel nuts were sanded all over, and the new holes abraded then scored from the inside...

Name:	new focusser19fa.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	282884

The nuts were then epoxied into place, the epoxy sloping up and surrounding the sides of the nuts, and secured until the epoxy hardened...

Name:	new focusser20b.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	282886

You can see the factory's pre-drilled holes within that image.