Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Kokatha man

Round Table Platforms

Hi all - after an almost 40 year hiatus have gotten back into AA and took a first step with a Bintel 10" Dob. Considering the prices and availability of scopes now from when I "dropped out" (due to life's paths etc) is like landing on the moon!
Back in the early 70s when I disassembled my 8" Newt on a 2.5" galvo waterpipe equatorial mount a 12.5" cassegrain cost just over $2000 from Sydney's Asronomical Supplies in Crows Nest - that must be in the vicinity of $15-20000 in real terms today!?!
I am now looking at Brian Read's equatorial platform for my scope and would be most interested in hearing some Austalian feedback from procurers of this particular mount.
Regards and New Years greetings to all, Kokatha man. (us blackfellas aren't predisposed to not being into amateur astronomy!)
Old 27-12-2007, 07:04 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi there and to IIS!

I started with a 10" dob, the same as you. I ordered a round table platform from Brian Reed in about June 2005 and owned it for 18 months. It was brilliant. I used it for visual observing as well as high-resolution planetary imaging with a 5x powermate and a ToUcam and then a DMK.

I sold it to rmpcb who now owns it, and loves it just as much

You really can't go wrong with them. A great piece of gear.. gives you tracking, and still with the convenience of observing with a dob - something a newt on an EQ mount can't deliver.

With an argo navis or other DSC's, you get push-to as well as tracking. I loved my setup.
Old 27-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Kokatha man

Round Table Platform

Thanks for the reply iceman - it certainly sounds as though this device is a kosha unit: checked your bio etc - great stuff (and gives me real confidence in your "thumbs-up" approval of said product.) Cheers Mike.
Old 28-12-2007, 07:12 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

No problems. I believe a few other IIS members have ordered the Round Table Platform from Brian as well, and have not been disappointed.

He provides excellent support.