Old 14-07-2008, 06:18 PM
thunderchildobs

Lightbox and flats question

I have all the bits to build a lightbox, except the skills to wire the electronics.

I was wondering in the mean time, if I simply place the defuser screen in front of the OTA and point the scope skyward in daytime (not near the sun) could I use natural the light to generate the flat?

I know that I am not to change the focus between taking the lights and the flats.

Brendan
Old 14-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Sounds OK to me. Dusk or dawn would be better, or your exposure times will be extremely short (with a CCD anyway). Just make sure the sky is clear, opposite the sun, or featureless cloud.
Old 21-07-2008, 05:24 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Brendan

I'd get the lightbox finished as quickly as possible. Get some help to wire it all up. A lightbox is SOOOO much easier than using sky flats. What if it clouds over before dawn? With a lightbox you can take your flats before or after your imaging run.
Old 21-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hey Brendan,

Bring the various components (including soldering iron and solder) to the Qld Astrofest, I’m sure there will be a few people who have soldering skills and will help assemble it.

Me, I’m a bit clumsy and my solder joints look more like a multi sized string of pearls…

Cheers

Dennis