Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 27-06-2022, 08:57 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
If you are a Facebook user please go take a look. Our page is open to the public. I am not sure if you have to have an account to view the page.
It's more that some of us don't want to click on anything to do with FB, especially given how invasively they track people and the history of how shady they are.

Not wanting to get off into a tangent here.. but if you have another way of sharing video (for free, like YT!), that'd be good, and good for potential customers who don't want to click FB links

(plus, FB is dying anyway)
Old 27-06-2022, 10:57 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
It's more that some of us don't want to click on anything to do with FB, especially given how invasively they track people and the history of how shady they are.

Not wanting to get off into a tangent here.. but if you have another way of sharing video (for free, like YT!), that'd be good, and good for potential customers who don't want to click FB links

FB is what it is, but I hear you regarding people not wanting to use it. So with that in mind I have uploaded the recent videos to Vimeo.

Click here for video of the opening roof.

Click here for video of the closing roof.
Old 28-06-2022, 01:12 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:

Absolutely, I agree, I will have nothing to do with FB. I hope your not relying on FB as a business tool.
Old 28-06-2022, 08:19 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Thanks for the vimeo Paul,

Just one comment:

Wow!

Neville
Old 28-06-2022, 08:20 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
FB is what it is, but I hear you regarding people not wanting to use it. So with that in mind I have uploaded the recent videos to Vimeo.

Click here for video of the opening roof.

Click here for video of the closing roof.
thanks for posting that. Very interesting videos. Can the roof be closed manually as well? I always wonder about that... what happens if it jams and rain comes through?
Old 28-06-2022, 03:52 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
thanks for posting that. Very interesting videos. Can the roof be closed manually as well? I always wonder about that... what happens if it jams and rain comes through?
Hi Adam, at present no the roof cannot be moved manually easily, although it is a matter of unbolting the gearbox from the mounting board which is easy enough to do. The roof should not jam at all, it is on a gate track and wheels and that means it will generally slide over any obstructions. In the 30 or so times I have opened and closed the roof manually and the 10 or so times I have opened and closed the roof with the motor it has not looked like it would jam. I was fairly deliberate with the design to prevent jamming. Even the hold downs have a bit of clearance to allow some up and down but not enough to allow derail.

The observatory is protected by the software monitoring the cloud and rain sensor and if cloud comes in; the roof closes immediately. There is no delay. Cloud will predicate rain falling out there as rain is reasonably rare at the site. Only 180-200mm or so a year. In addition to this, the hardware via the firmware is programmed to shut if it looses contact with the computer or the AAG Cloudwatcher.
Old 28-06-2022, 03:53 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelySpoon View Post
Thanks for the vimeo Paul,

Just one comment:

Wow!

Neville
Hi Neville, that is what we are thinking at present too. Such an exciting venture.
Old 28-06-2022, 04:09 PM
Paul Haese

The slab in the big shed has been finished with a helicopter finisher to provide a very smooth surface. Over the last few days I have applied two coats of sealant to the concrete slab. This will aid in cleaning the floor in the years to come. It will also prevent concrete dust from entering the optics of our clients equipment. The sealant when fully dry will not show the overlap marks seen in the attached photo. When I walked in this morning to apply the second coat I could not see any overlaps from the previous coat.

Later this week I will install the first test system into the shed and we can commence bug testing. I will do a few weeks bug testing to ensure the system works correctly in all manner of circumstances.

As I have said before if you are interested in reserving a spot for yourself in the shed please PM or email me for our terms and conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sealant in BS a.jpg)
188.0 KB157 views
Old 28-06-2022, 04:21 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Veeery nice, better than my concrete slab I did for the 18" Dob housing

Mike
Old 28-06-2022, 04:28 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
the hardware via the firmware is programmed to shut if it looses contact with the computer or the AAG Cloudwatcher.
This is professional and well thought out, bodes well !.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 PM
Paul Haese

Time for an update.

Bug testing has commenced with the installation of one system and another one is part way through installation.

The attached image shows a 200mm imaging system and one of my Newtonians in part way commissioned.

There is some cable management of the 200mm system to be done but we awaiting on a 3m USB3B cable to arrive. Once that is done the computer and power supply can be installed in a weather and light proof box.

The AG12 will have an ASI ZWO6200 with 7 position filter wheel and Atlas focuser with Primaluce Lab Eagle computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SR Big Shed July 2022.jpg)
203.0 KB143 views
Old 07-07-2022, 05:09 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

Swan Reach

sent you a PM mate for email info
Old 27-07-2022, 07:15 PM
Paul Haese

Update

We are currently conducting trials of the automated opening and close of the roof. All is going well so far and we anticipate that very shortly we will be open for business.

Essentially, the big roof opens at dusk and closes at dawn via command from the weather sensor that it is unsafe for the roof to be open during daylight hours. The roof will also close upon weather abort data. Once the weather abort conditions have passed (sometimes hours, sometimes minutes) the roof will reopen again. Clients will be able to access the weather data and script their equipment to respond to that data. This will ensure that they can image after a weather abort and be assured that the roof will be open when the data says it is clear.

So stay tuned for our announcement that we are open for business.
Old 27-07-2022, 07:49 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Paul,

As you will be having multiple clients under the same roof, so to speak, how do you deal with one person wanting the roof to close in response to a weather event, while someone else not? Or do you control when the roof opens and closes, and clients script their equipment based on that?

Josh
Old 28-07-2022, 08:53 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Hi Paul,

As you will be having multiple clients under the same roof, so to speak, how do you deal with one person wanting the roof to close in response to a weather event, while someone else not? Or do you control when the roof opens and closes, and clients script their equipment based on that?

Josh
Our system will be in control of the roof and no one else will have access to it other than the admins for the site. The roof closes immediately upon a weather abort notification and then once the abort is cleared, there is a three minute period until the safe command is given. When the safe command is given the roof will open again. Clients will also be using the same link file from cloud sensor and so can automate their imaging to recommence imaging once the safe command is given. The roof will take a minute to open, so systems should roughly coincide with the roof being fully open. Since everyone is working off the same file and safe time period, imaging should have little disruption. We may change the safe time to a shorter period but this period is reasonably short and allows for any contingencies where conditions might change and require that the roof remain closed.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:10 AM
Paul Haese

Update time.

I can now announce that our final field testing is complete. The roof is now totally robotic and automated and we have had no issues with its operation.

This means that we are ready to receiving clients, so please feel free to contact me about having your equipment hosted at our facility.

Attached is an image of how clients equipment will be setup including protective boxes, pier and cable management.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (equipment.jpg)
71.0 KB135 views
Old 05-08-2022, 02:03 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Hmm? that OTA looks very familiar...but no Bentspoke sticker on the side

Looks very professional

Mike
Old 05-08-2022, 02:49 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Hmm? that OTA looks very familiar...but no Bentspoke sticker on the side

Mike
The sticker is on the other side. Though no bent spoke brews consumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post

Looks very professional

Mike
That's our aim to be professional. It's been a journey, but we're there now.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:56 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Congratulations Paul,

I hope you get many clients to the facility.

I wonder, does the shed set any records for a roll-off roof?

Neville

LSO
Old 06-08-2022, 06:30 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelySpoon View Post
Congratulations Paul,

I hope you get many clients to the facility.

I wonder, does the shed set any records for a roll-off roof?

Neville

LSO
No records that I can think of at all. I am sure the one at Siding Springs is bigger as well as the ones at Moorook.