Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 16-07-2022, 04:40 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

NexDome no longer available in Australia

HI, Just looking at some more options for a backyard dome.
I was looking to order in a NexDome as i was planning to start on building a permanent setup.
I contacted the Australian distributor about the NexDome and found out that they are no longer importing them except for the current delivery.

Looked at the 2M Scope dome, but i think they are going to be a tad too small.
So now looking for some other options to go for.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 16-07-2022, 08:07 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
That’s disappointing, Sidereal sold quite a few of these and I had no issue with mine as far as assembly and operation ( maybe increased costs made them uncompetitive compared to ScopeDome)
Maybe look at the 2m ScopeDome as my 2.2m NexDome is actually only just over 2m diameter internally and 2.3m high.
There’s heaps of room inside mine and I have an EQ8-R pro mount with Tripod pier ( not standalone pier ) and a 10” f5 CF Newt at 1280mm long. You could squeeze a 12” solid tube newt in it

Also some folk have a 12” truss Newt inside their NexDome and no issues at all.

Maybe have a rethink unless your going bigger than 12”

ScopeDome is a superior product compared to NexDome

Cheers
Martin
Old 16-07-2022, 08:18 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Yes, was a tad surprised there, been doing up drawing plans thinking of the NexDome.
Not a real lot of talk on the ScopeDomes though.
Would be good to find out what the maximum size scope that would fit in the 2M dome.
Just incase i decide to to something like a RASSA 11.
I do have a C14, but mainly only used for visual and planetary imaging.
The other option is a roll off setup, but also takes up double the space required
Old 16-07-2022, 08:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Rasa , C11 and C14 are short tube fat scopes (1m and shorter ) and as long as the ScopeDome is at least 1.9m high I can’t see any issue why it wouldn’t work ( unless the top of pier to too high ) My tripod pier height is 810mm high and Newt is like a big long bazzooka and I have heaps of room

Try and get some specs or drawings on the ScopeDome and run some sims

Cheers
Martin
Old 17-07-2022, 10:59 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

After some measuring up pf my equipment at full extension, i think i am out of room for the 2M Scope Dome.
According to their specs, there is 1600mm of free space for the telescope, i am at 1390mm full extension ( with camera gear on,, dew shield out and at the longest orientation ), and if i put the C14 in there with the dew shield on, i would be roughly 100mm too long, will fit without the dew shield though.
But disregarding the C14 as it most likely wouldn't be used in the dome, i am looking at around 200mm clearance, might be a tad tight for my liking.
Will check with them to see how accurate this 1600mm is.

Other than that, has anyone had any experience with something like Siruis Domes, Astrodomes or similar?
Just looking at more options, I think the 3M ScopeDome is a tad over the top price wise.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:54 AM
jamespierce (James)

Biased as a ScopeDome owner - But they are in a different league to the NextDome or SkyShed Pods etc... The importer has changed to Sidereal a while back, but the service and support is first class - and I didn't buy mine from them.

Having been through a few observatory builds now if I wanted cheap I'd do it myself and make a rolloff... If I wanted turn-key no fuss, more suited to remote operation etc then I'd go with a Scopedome again no question.

I don't think there is anything else still being made in Australia, or supported?
Old 01-10-2022, 04:11 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
Biased as a ScopeDome owner - But they are in a different league to the NextDome or SkyShed Pods etc... The importer has changed to Sidereal a while back, but the service and support is first class - and I didn't buy mine from them.

Having been through a few observatory builds now if I wanted cheap I'd do it myself and make a rolloff... If I wanted turn-key no fuss, more suited to remote operation etc then I'd go with a Scopedome again no question.

I don't think there is anything else still being made in Australia, or supported?
Sirius. Superb quality. Still being made in Queensland.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:32 PM
jamespierce (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Sirius. Superb quality. Still being made in Queensland.
Great to know, competition in the market is a good thing. I thought he business had been wound you a few years ago - did someone else pick it up?
Old 01-10-2022, 05:39 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Great to know, competition in the market is a good thing. I thought he business had been wound you a few years ago - did someone else pick it up?
Yes. Owen has wealth of experience, but you may find his order book is quite full.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:16 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Quote:
The same person also makes what they call AstroDomes,
These are all metal domes and also a little bit cheaper that his Sirius Domes.
Freight cost are very high depending on your location though.

I have opted to go with a 3 meter x 3 meter shed with a roll off roof.
More space and a lot cheaper in the end.