Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 04-04-2022, 05:10 PM
Paul Haese

Another update. Hope you all don't mind.

Today the main shed was completed with cladding and structure. Concrete is probably being poured next week and then final commissioning from there. The main shed opens and closes with very little effort and it is a credit to Apex Home Improvements to delivering a product which is of a high standard. It was worth the wait.

Also today I finished the smaller shed and installed the ridge cap and the top flashing around the door which had been omitted in the original delivery. Commissioning of this shed will hopefully take place soon as we are waiting on parts from Scope Dome in Poland.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Main shed swan Reach.jpg)
189.9 KB162 views
Click for full-size image (Swan Reach imaging April 2022.jpg)
204.8 KB160 views
Click for full-size image (Jarrods shed.jpg)
185.8 KB119 views
Old 04-04-2022, 10:16 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Don't mind at all Paul.
Even though I may not comment, I do read it all and I find it quite interesting.

Josh
Old 17-04-2022, 05:49 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Wonderful new observatory Paul.

I presume you will need to have it well insulated from that Aussie sun to reduce scope cool down times.

What telescope systems will you have installed ?

Dave
Old 20-04-2022, 09:30 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Wonderful new observatory Paul.

I presume you will need to have it well insulated from that Aussie sun to reduce scope cool down times.

What telescope systems will you have installed ?

Dave
Hi Dave,

yes the observatories are well insulated.

As for telescopes installed that will be up to the clients. The big shed is purely for hosting of clients equipment.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:09 PM
Paul Haese

A big day yesterday for Swan Reach Imaging. Our concrete contractor poured the 12 cubic metre slab in the big roll off roof. It now means we can do final commissioning of the roof control, power, coms and wall insulation for that observatory.

I have included some drone shots of the facility as it now stands with views East and West.

The plan is to have the observatory to clients in mid June, so if you are interested in a hosted pier please let me know via PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Looking east.jpg)
161.2 KB180 views
Click for full-size image (Looking west.jpg)
163.9 KB191 views
Click for full-size image (SR above.jpg)
156.5 KB165 views
Click for full-size image (SR above looking north.jpg)
153.3 KB221 views
Old 09-05-2022, 10:21 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Looking good Paul

I assume you will just be bolting piers to the slab, without separate pier footings?..how thick did you go with the main slab?

There is what looks like a small concrete slab extension, next to your Scopedome, what will go there?

Mike
Old 09-05-2022, 10:49 AM
AdamJL

yeah looking good... although I'm super curious as to what this is... nothing to do with AP!
I used to do wildlife photography (would love to get back into it), and anything like this just says "big nest", especially as there are what appears to be tracks leading to it.

Although from this angle it could be anything, including a mini rubbish tip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SR above looking north.jpg)
152.7 KB159 views
Old 09-05-2022, 03:54 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Looking good Paul

I assume you will just be bolting piers to the slab, without separate pier footings?..how thick did you go with the main slab?

There is what looks like a small concrete slab extension, next to your Scopedome, what will go there?

Mike
We will be bolting down the piers to the slab with no isolation piers. We went with a 200mm slab depth. The slab weighs about 32 tonne, so will be heavy enough to operate multiple scopes over it simultaneously. The roof only moves for cloud, clear skies and mornings. I used a 200mm slab for the dome and have found no vibration present at all.

The small extension was for stepping into the dome. It was a little difficult getting in and out of it, so the material left over from the main pour was put there by the concreters. Nothing visual being used there just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
yeah looking good... although I'm super curious as to what this is... nothing to do with AP!
I used to do wildlife photography (would love to get back into it), and anything like this just says "big nest", especially as there are what appears to be tracks leading to it.

Although from this angle it could be anything, including a mini rubbish tip!
That is a wombat warren. There are two or three living in that warren. We have several larger warrens on the property with one warren taking a space as large as a soccer pitch doubled. It is huge. There are 30-50 wombats in that particular warren. These guys are not a problem this close to the observatory site, so long as they stay that distance away. They help to keep the grass down too, sort of portable mowers.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:02 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
We will be bolting down the piers to the slab with no isolation piers. We went with a 200mm slab depth. The slab weighs about 32 tonne, so will be heavy enough to operate multiple scopes over it simultaneously. The roof only moves for cloud, clear skies and mornings. I used a 200mm slab for the dome and have found no vibration present at all.

The small extension was for stepping into the dome. It was a little difficult getting in and out of it, so the material left over from the main pour was put there by the concreters. Nothing visual being used there just yet.
Sounds more than adequate

How far did your concrete have to travel, to get to you?

Mike
Old 09-05-2022, 04:13 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Sounds more than adequate

How far did your concrete have to travel, to get to you?

Mike
The use of a single thick slab is used commonly in large ROR systems as I understand it. I don't think anyone is using isolation piers under their slabs in this context as far as I know.

The only place nearby is Mannum which is 54km. The concrete was 32mpa for added strength. We have used the same supplier all the way through so that we get consistent results.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:19 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
That is a wombat warren. There are two or three living in that warren. We have several larger warrens on the property with one warren taking a space as large as a soccer pitch doubled. It is huge. There are 30-50 wombats in that particular warren. These guys are not a problem this close to the observatory site, so long as they stay that distance away. They help to keep the grass down too, sort of portable mowers.

Ha, I knew it. Fantastic! They're like our version of badgers, which I've spent time photographing. Similar nest setup by the looks of it.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:29 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
The use of a single thick slab is used commonly in large ROR systems as I understand it. I don't think anyone is using isolation piers under their slabs in this context as far as I know.

The only place nearby is Mannum which is 54km. The concrete was 32mpa for added strength. We have used the same supplier all the way through so that we get consistent results.
Ah, about the same distance mine had to come, plus coming up the mountain added a bit more time, meant it was tight for setting too quickly, had to move fast when it arrived.

Mike
Old 21-05-2022, 09:55 AM
Paul Haese

Things are progressing well with a high probability that we will be open for business at the end of next month once bug testing is complete.

We have on order the motor, VSD, gearbox, rack and pinion for the big observatory. Those should be ready for pick up next week.

Our low voltage computer is also coming in from Compulabs (IPC2) and should arrive next week. That will control the roof opening and closing on the big ROR.

This week we had the power connected to small ROR and to the big ROR. That involved a lot of work and lots of back filling of the trenches.

Network installation has also commenced and progressing forward with network cable undergrounded, racks installed and connection points installed around the observatories. There is still some more installation of connection points required but it is a lower priority at this stage.

We have also spread out some crush rock around the site to help with heat reduction in summer and to keep the fine dust at bay. I moved 10 tonne of it on Wednesday and it near killed me (certainly not as able as I was in my 30's )The plan is to spread the other 10 tonne pile all the way around the observatories over the next few weeks.

We are happy to take enquiries from anyone interested in having their equipment hosted in pristine dark skies, so if you have been holding back feel free to make contact and be one of the first to be hosted at this site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Big shed board and rack.jpg)
187.9 KB133 views
Click for full-size image (Main power.jpg)
191.0 KB129 views
Click for full-size image (Ethernet.jpg)
195.9 KB109 views
Click for full-size image (Compound.jpg)
199.1 KB126 views
Click for full-size image (Jarrods shed power and ethernet.jpg)
196.1 KB117 views

Last edited by Paul Haese; 21-05-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 23-05-2022, 04:16 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Looking very professional (and expensive ) Paul

Mike
Old 20-06-2022, 10:54 PM
Paul Haese

Bit of an update.

As of today we have a working roof drive system at Swan Reach Imaging. There is still some tweaking to do to the settings in the VSD, some cable management and installation of the open limit switch. All of which I plan on completing later in the week when I visit out there again.

I have a video of the roof opening a little and closing on our Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/SwanReach.Imaging

I have included some pictures of the drive system in the big observatory for your perusal and enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_8136.jpg)
192.2 KB94 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8128.jpg)
118.4 KB106 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8187.jpg)
97.4 KB139 views
Old 21-06-2022, 07:41 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Looking good Paul!
I'd love to see the video but I don't do Facebook...

Neville
LSO
Old 21-06-2022, 07:49 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyspoon View Post
looking good paul!
I'd love to see the video but i don't do facebook...

Neville
lso
+1!
Old 21-06-2022, 07:51 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Video of things moving, always cool ...Marcus is hounding me for a moving picture of my new dome too ...better appease him next visit

Mike
Old 24-06-2022, 08:26 PM
Paul Haese

Today we completed the final phase of the construction of our facility at Swan Reach Imaging with the successful opening and closing of the roof by the roof software and control system. If you are a Facebook user please go take a look. Our page is open to the public. I am not sure if you have to have an account to view the page.

It is all very exciting and a great relief that the culmination of several years of planning and execution have finally come to fruition. Of all the projects I have done in the past (the company that I owned did ceiling and partitions contracts for many years completing large projects like prisons, multistorey school building, high end motor vehicle show rooms etc) this one ranks as the most satisfying to me personally. 18 months ago we owned a bare 200 acres of land, not so now.

So here is an image of the completed drive in the big shed with cable management and one of the closed limit switch and the probe to activate it. I had to think a little laterally to create the probes for the limit switches. The open limit switch is a bit like an Apollo docking probe which just points out to make forward contact with the limit switch and allow the inertia of the roof to slowly dissipate and bring the roof to a stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_8194.jpg)
98.4 KB105 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8195.jpg)
98.5 KB96 views
Old 25-06-2022, 03:13 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

I saw the video, all looking proper industrial Paul, and smick drive tuning, well done!. extra nearly open and closed limit switches would've made life easier, but hey, control looks smooth as the way you've done it .