Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 18-02-2022, 07:52 AM
gregbradley

How did you build your roll off roof?

My home observatory roll off roof was never done properly. So its a bit of chore opening and closing it as it does not roll off easily.

I am wanting to correct this and am wondering how others roll off roof mechanism works?

At this stage I was thinking of getting some 100 x 100 x 3mm steel and screwing into the timber that runs along the top of the wall. I need something a bit forgiving as I think the structure is not dead square. So a bit of play built in would help.

So are there some tracks that are useful Some good wheels? Bunnings wheels don't seem to cut it.

Greg.
Old 18-02-2022, 08:45 AM
bojan
amateur

I used hanging door rails from Bunnings (Richmond 60mm 3962607).. not sure if they are still available in that size (60mm).
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...1&postcount=40
Something similar was supplied by Robot Trading, but more expensive.
Old 18-02-2022, 11:17 AM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

Greg, for a flat roof, Bojan's solution looks excellent. I am contemplating using one of the Stilla wooden sheds.

For this, I am thinking of using sliding gate track directly on the walls, and recessed wheels.

By putting an extra frame of pine under the roof section, I think the wheels can be rebated (?) into the frame, leaving only a small gap, by eye, <15mm.

Philip
Old 18-02-2022, 11:44 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
I used hanging door rails from Bunnings (Richmond 60mm 3962607).. not sure if they are still available in that size (60mm).
Thanks bojan.

What sort of wheel goes into that track?

My roof is an A frame.

Be careful there Bojan on that polycarbonate roofing. It tough when first put down but gets brittle over time and hail will go straight through it.

Greg.
Old 18-02-2022, 11:48 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi

Greg, for a flat roof, Bojan's solution looks excellent. I am contemplating using one of the Stilla wooden sheds.

For this, I am thinking of using sliding gate track directly on the walls, and recessed wheels.

By putting an extra frame of pine under the roof section, I think the wheels can be rebated (?) into the frame, leaving only a small gap, by eye, <15mm.

Philip

That rail is very good. The wheel is potentially good. Any suggestion about how you mount the wheel which has the side timber beam sitting above the wheel frame?

Like you said it would need another timber beam on either side of the wheel to attach it to the bottom of the side beams of the roof and still be able to rotate.

These would work and would attach directly to the underside beam of the roof frame (in my case a steel square section about 100 x 50 in 3mm steel):

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/wholesa...=Ad+group+%231

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 18-02-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 18-02-2022, 12:05 PM
gregbradley

Thanks guys. I think I have a solution here. I add another 90 x 45 pine beam to widen the top part of the wall frame that already has a 90 x 45 giving a total of 90mm wide timber at the top of the wall.

Then add those sliding gate tracks in. Snap a chalk line first to make sure the rails are straight and make a spacer to make sure the 2 walls tracks are the same distance apart.

Then screw those sliding gate wheels to the underside of my rolloff roof.

Test it out and adjust as needed.

I would add a few straps that can be fixed easily so the roof doesn't lift off in heavy wind (in my case its a sheltered spot so not too concerned).
Greg.
Old 18-02-2022, 01:24 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
.. What sort of wheel goes into that track?

Greg, they are from Richmond as well.

I think this is not suitable for your roof..

As to polycarbonate, It is easy to replace.. However I have the same thing on my pergola for ~20 years.. and it's still elastic, so maybe not an issue for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Roller.jpg)
198.4 KB55 views
Old 18-02-2022, 06:02 PM
Hoges (John)

I used some small alloy channel and some plastic wheels with steel bearings. Cheap and I wouldn't do it this way again, but they have lasted twenty years and the roof only takes a single handed push to get it moving. If I was doing it again, I would use some galvanized angle iron - upside down and some grooved wheels (for a v-belt sort of thing). That way, nothing can get stuck in a track or under a wheel and the wheel cannot run off nor jamb against the side (not that it has been a problem with the alloy channel).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Track detail small.jpg)
195.2 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (Tracks small.jpg)
195.0 KB64 views
Old 18-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Hoges (John)

A shot of the open roof from above....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Observatory small.jpg)
199.6 KB77 views
Old 20-02-2022, 09:13 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Hi Greg my obs is 3x3m with a gable roof which can be split into half. Too roll the roof I have used 2x5m stainless stain unistrut and 8x40mm wheel bearing 4 on each side ,It has been in use for 10 years and have not had any trouble with it.
Ian