Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Printing your images

Have you ever got a nice looking pic on your monitor then printed it out and got something looking hideously different?
Well, one solution is to colour calibrate your monitor, then calibrate your printer to closely match what you see on the screen. Hardware for doing this comes in at $500 at the low end.
I had done all this and regularly produced good prints, but then my printer had a meltdown-- basically past its use by date. I needed some prints urgently, so went up to Officeworks to buy a new printer, but saw that they had a printing service. I happened to have my colour profiled prints on a usb stick, so I gave them a go. Beautiful prints resulted, matching what my monitor displayed for about $1 for an A4 sheet. The guy didn't seem to know anything about colour profiles, but I presume the system they have has been set up by someone knowledgeable, so the system obviously read the colour profile and printed accordingly.
So why invest in a printer? Just ensure that your monitor is colour calibrated, ensure that you have a colour profile attatched to your file and get prints for a dollar a pop.
Geoff
Old 04-05-2016, 12:52 PM
leon

Geoff, what you say is probably quite right, and to the person that wants an occasional print or be it many at one specific time, then it is probably the way to go.

However, as for myself I have 3 printers, which at times are all running at the same time producing the photos I want for special projects.

To date I have printed well over 5000 photos over the last 4 years, yea, scary and expensive, when one uses genuine Canon ink and paper.

Sometimes I want prints of smaller size on larger paper etc, so for me it is better to have the convenience of choice, and printers.

My dear wife is constantly telling me when I look at other printers, surly you don't want another one no not today dear

Leon
Old 05-05-2016, 07:38 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

This might only work if your image is embedded with a standard profile, srgb is typically the bottom end common profile. My guess is you just got lucky and don't understand colours too well. Its worth trying your local officeworks for prints but colour accuracy, consistency and longevity are pathetic compared to a proper colour workflow, inks and papers. Sorry but you're giving poor advice.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

You don't need to spend hundreds to calibrate a monitor.
I can calibrate my laptop and my mac cinema display using the calibration tools built in.
Using photoshop you use the appropriate colour profiles, usually adobe rgb.