Old 29-07-2021, 10:54 PM
billdan (Bill)

Universe could be a Donut

A new study of the CMB suggests our universe could be shaped as a donut and not infinite.
The video has some good graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqd6y6hrrQg
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Universe a donut.jpg)
78.4 KB92 views

Last edited by billdan; 29-07-2021 at 10:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 30-07-2021, 08:04 AM
glend (Glen)

Yummm....donuts.

https://tenor.com/o9b9.gif
Old 02-08-2021, 04:09 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Explains that sense of deja vu.
Old 31-08-2021, 07:00 PM
Lariliss (Larissa)

The observed universe is flat.
The CMB of the universe is more concentrated across one plane of the universe, forming a straight line in the universe. As the amount of radiation in one area is limited, it’s indicative of the size of the area in that direction.
In theory, it can have a positive curvature, negative curvature, flat curvature, or possibly a combination of all two or three.
A positive curvature corresponds to a closed universe. In a closed universe, the expansion of the universe comes to a stop due to gravity, all matter collapses back into a singularity.
A negative curvature corresponds to an open universe. In an open universe the density is not large enough for gravity to take over, instead the universe will expand forever. It may slow down approximating to a limit, but never stop.
A flat curvature corresponds to a flat universe. In a flat universe space expands forever but will either accelerate or decelerate, according to the amount of dark energy.
With a torus, the geometry of the universe would be a combination of positive and negative curvature. The three-torus model of the universe. Here, the shape of the universe is a three-dimensional torus, while a donut is a two-dimensional torus.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:55 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Really what point is served by unsupported specilation ... All we know it is appears flat which hardley gives rise to any speculation other than...it is flat.
Alex
Old 13-10-2021, 03:12 PM
Reilly1502 (Reilly)

Not going to lie, I had to watch some YouTube videos to grasp what you were talking about here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariliss View Post
The observed universe is flat.
The CMB of the universe is more concentrated across one plane of the universe, forming a straight line in the universe. As the amount of radiation in one area is limited, it’s indicative of the size of the area in that direction.
In theory, it can have a positive curvature, negative curvature, flat curvature, or possibly a combination of all two or three.
A positive curvature corresponds to a closed universe. In a closed universe, the expansion of the universe comes to a stop due to gravity, all matter collapses back into a singularity.
A negative curvature corresponds to an open universe. In an open universe the density is not large enough for gravity to take over, instead the universe will expand forever. It may slow down approximating to a limit, but never stop.
A flat curvature corresponds to a flat universe. In a flat universe space expands forever but will either accelerate or decelerate, according to the amount of dark energy.
With a torus, the geometry of the universe would be a combination of positive and negative curvature. The three-torus model of the universe. Here, the shape of the universe is a three-dimensional torus, while a donut is a two-dimensional torus.
Old 13-10-2021, 03:24 PM
AdamJL

Or the universe is holographic. Where the universe is projected from the surface of a lower dimensional object

Very much like the event horizon of a black hole. That’s a 2 + 1 dimensional surface but inside that boundary a whole lot of happening in more dimensions. But projected only from that surface inwards

I’m a fan of the Holographic Principle!
Old 13-10-2021, 03:30 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Explains that sense of deja vu.
Makes sense. Is that why M8 looks like homer simpson's profile too?
Old 13-10-2021, 03:46 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Makes sense. Is that why M8 looks like homer simpson's profile too?
Well, it is a nuclear star factory...
😂
Old 13-10-2021, 09:46 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Ha. Homer knows best.

Speaking of the new world: was it not Columbus Day this week. Is the universe flat , or is it round like my head , or can I see the back of my own head.

Plenty of people use the complexity to assume it is all too much and that their idea is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Makes sense. Is that why M8 e looks like homer simpson's profile too?
Old 15-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve given up on trying to understand or comprehend the countless complex theories on the Universe.
I just say to myself it’s always been there , there was no beginning and there is no end. Whether it’s expanding or not who knows, we can only use the limited capacity of our brains to formulate reason , argument , effect , cause and so on....

Maybe it is a donut ?

Preferably cinnamon !!
Old 15-10-2021, 08:18 PM
SB (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
A new study of the CMB suggests our universe could be shaped as a donut and not infinite.
The video has some good graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqd6y6hrrQg
Homer Simpson first predicted this haha,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mje7frMYzcY

SB
Old 16-10-2021, 06:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Anton mentions the established size of the observable Universe at 93 billion light years diameter and it seems most folk ( cosmologists) think it is much much bigger...I read an article that pit the most conservative model as having the Universe at 250 times the size of the observable Universe ...I really find it extremely difficult to accept that, even if we limit the size of the Universe to 93 billion light years diameter that such a huge item could have grown from something the size of an atom or whatever small size the Big Bang Theory suggests... and if we imagine say many atom sized universes ...well think that thru....I mean if one even thinks of growing from the size of a pea to say the size of this planet that simply seems impossible.. I know I lnow I don't understand the math .. incredible pressure, particles with no dimension, temperature at incomprehensible levels ..see it all works out..well not for me unfortunately.
But to grow from atom size to the size of the observable, 93 billion light years diameter universe for me is beyond realistic...Yet no one seems to have the same inability to accept the current best cosmological model...And I don't care what the sums say I cant not see that it can be correct...Further the Big Bang Model was presented when "they" believed that the Universe was the size of our galaxy, Milky Way, a mere fraction of the size of our current estimation of the Observable Universe, let alone what lays beyond.. yet finding it is very very much bigger has not presented any concern at all...well it would some could think...the critism of the Big Bang Model at the time it was presented was that it smacked of a religious undertone, which given the presentor was a priest and the theory took us back to the start of time suggested this was science designed to point most strongly to a creation point...but, no, even though we pick up the story a zillionth of a second after "The Big Bang" there is no comment as to what it may be and "they" quickly point out that the theory only deals with the evolution of the Universe...now what is most interesting is the fact even scientists talk about "something from nothing'...well most telling because there is nothing in the theory that suggests it all came from nothing.. in fact the theory does not take us past "a hot dense state" in other word "something"... there is no mention of nothing...so I see the speculation that the universe is a doughnut a ploy to take our mind off the problem of having a infinite expanding universe or even a finite expanding universe.

Our observations show the universe is flat ( no bias in gravity) and I can not understand the motivation for speculation that suggests something that as I see it now solid foundation in fact...

Given that our best cosmological model takes us no further than a hot dense state why conclude there was a big bang... to me the answer is rather obvious... now to make it work we need a doughnut it seems.

Alex
Old 22-10-2021, 02:10 PM
By.Jove (Jove)

Why stop at 1 hole. Could be as full of holes as swiss-cheese.

Along with a lot of ideas that aren't much better than "I think X... therefore X probably is.".
Old 22-10-2021, 03:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by By.Jove View Post
Why stop at 1 hole. Could be as full of holes as swiss-cheese.

Along with a lot of ideas that aren't much better than "I think X... therefore X probably is.".
Speculation if repeated only a few times becomes fact...but my ideas about push gravity...well they are clearly fact

Alex