Old 14-02-2005, 10:37 AM
beren

Camera tripods

Anyone got any recommendations on any brands and what features to look for ......main feature im after is legs that can be adjusted to suit terrain and not sure wether to go for a ball or pan tilt head .......seen one so far a velbron Sherpa

Cheers
Old 14-02-2005, 10:44 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I've got an Optex T-660 that I got off ebay.. it's not a bad tripod but I used it for my heavy 11x70's binos, and so now if the binos are pointed above 45 degrees, the head slips out of lock position and end up pointing straight up.

For my digital camera though, it's perfectly fine.

They all should have adjustable legs.. mine has 2 sets of locking handles on each leg to adjust for uneven terrain, and they collapse into themselves for folding up small.
Old 14-02-2005, 11:22 AM
beren

Thats the exact one i was looking at yesterday at a camera shop , nice unit but im unsure if i should up the ante and get one that has changeable heads/quick realese plate. Mike do you find the centre column slipping at all with added weight {assuming its free moving not geared}
Cheers
Old 14-02-2005, 11:52 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Mine has a quick release plate that's pretty convenient.. I don't use it except to put the camera/binoculars on or off.. it's not like I have 2 sets of stuff that i'm interchanging.

The handle that winds the head up, it's geared I think but it can still slip down if the tension control thing is too loose. There's a round adjuster at the bottom of that centre column that you can tighten to make adjusting it stiffer, and therefore not likely to slip back down.

It's a good tripod for my lightweight camera.. it's no manfrotto but i'm not gonna spend $250 on a tripod either. I paid $70 off ebay.

If I used my binoculars more I'd need something more heavyduty, or something specifically designed for heavy binoculars (bino chair or something).
Old 14-02-2005, 05:53 PM
gbeal

Beren,
If the tripod is for photography, then get the biggest you can afford.
I have two, both "Benbo". One is a smaller travel type, and the other is the bigger/biggest one. For 35mm or medium format they are both superb. I have a pair of ball heads for them as well, with the ball heads also seeing service on the side by side mount for piggyback astro shots.
I can sort out some details if you need. The Benbo is essentially a "nature" type tripod.
Old 14-02-2005, 06:05 PM
beren

Gary i have seen one benbo and crikey they are awesome , this one i saw almost looked like a mini losmandy . Did a fair bit of searching today and i found a Benbo trekker......got any idea on those Gary.....ive got my mind on a manfrotto 190cl {dont sure to go for a tilt head or ball head}
Old 15-02-2005, 05:26 AM
gbeal

Beren,
Benbo's are weird, and you have to be a bit that way to use or want one, so you make up your mind there. (I am sure there are some on this site who will say it is just what you need!!!).
The beauty is that they are specifically designed for uneven ground, and even in water use, as the lower section of the legs is larger than the top.
I have the Trekker (the small/lightweight one), and a Benbo #1, (the big sucker).
Gary