Old 10-02-2021, 10:32 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

QLD Astrofest

Can anyone confirm the dates of this year’s QLD Astrofest? I was exchanging emails with Belinda at Duckadang who thought the provisional booking dates this year was 3rd -13th of.........JUNE!
Old 16-02-2021, 10:01 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Are any of the committee reading this and can comment on the veracity of the dates cited?
Old 17-02-2021, 09:47 AM
Jaybo007 (Jason)

Curious to know myself.
Old 17-02-2021, 10:59 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
It would be logical to assume that a Covid vaccination certificate will be required by the organisers for registration at events like this for the foreseeable future. Consider bunkhouse accommodation, dining, showers, etc.
Insurance cover may be impossible to obtain without certification of attendees and organisers.

Therefore, the earlier they schedule it, the fewer potential attendees there may be, who could comply. This is an argument for scheduling much later in the year, imho.
Realistically vaccination for our age group might not be available before the end of the year. I know there are huge discrepancies overseas between scheduled/planned vaccinations, vaccines stocks availability and actual immunisation count on the ground including booster shots. They have shortages of vaccines supply. Some people didn't even get their booster shots because they've run out of doses during initial rollout. There is also a lot of wastage and it's been a bit of a mess. I'm talking about the Pfizer one. Implementing any kind of certification at his stage is just going to gridlock everything making state borders control look like it was a walk in the park.
Old 17-02-2021, 12:28 PM
thunderchildobs

I believe the astrofest is being held in June. Cannot remember the exact dates.
Old 18-02-2021, 09:33 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Realistically vaccination for our age group might not be available before the end of the year. I know there are huge discrepancies overseas between scheduled/planned vaccinations, vaccines stocks availability and actual immunisation count on the ground including booster shots. They have shortages of vaccines supply. Some people didn't even get their booster shots because they've run out of doses during initial rollout. There is also a lot of wastage and it's been a bit of a mess. I'm talking about the Pfizer one. Implementing any kind of certification at his stage is just going to gridlock everything making state borders control look like it was a walk in the park.
Agree Marc. Would be very surprised if the stringent cleaning and spacing measures that made last year unworkable are fully relaxed within 16 weeks (4 months). If we're lucky the astrofest typical demographic will be immunised by Aug perhaps taking into account the huge logistics. Happy to be happily surprised if it all comes together though
Old 22-02-2021, 04:15 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Agree Marc. Would be very surprised if the stringent cleaning and spacing measures that made last year unworkable are fully relaxed within 16 weeks (4 months). If we're lucky the astrofest typical demographic will be immunised by Aug perhaps taking into account the huge logistics. Happy to be happily surprised if it all comes together though
It is definitely in June this year -there are no available dates in August. The cleaning requirements probably haven’t changed and would need to be paid for from Astrofest funds. As I understand it though they do have funds. It is a not for profit organisation and they do charge each person per day each year and have always done so I’m guessing there is a good balance to pay for cleaning so why not go ahead? What else is the money for?

Chris
Old 25-02-2021, 08:48 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
It is definitely in June this year -there are no available dates in August. The cleaning requirements probably haven’t changed and would need to be paid for from Astrofest funds. As I understand it though they do have funds. It is a not for profit organisation and they do charge each person per day each year and have always done so I’m guessing there is a good balance to pay for cleaning so why not go ahead? What else is the money for?

Chris
Sounds good. Might make the trip if the border is opened and the weather cooperates.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:18 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Calling any QLD Astrofest committee members. Any news on what is likely to happen this year? Will it happen at all assuming no change to Covid from today’s status? Is it happening in June? Is it not happening irrespective of Covid? Somebody must have an idea?
Old 02-03-2021, 05:44 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Chris is right. It takes time to organise an Astrofest, I am sure. But it also takes time for those wanting to attend to organise leave, holidays etc. So I join Chris in asking for some notice of intentions.

Peter
Old 07-03-2021, 10:07 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

The dates must be top secret and on a ‘need to know’ basis only.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:42 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Left of field thought, but have you tried contacting the committee directly?

DT
Old 08-03-2021, 04:11 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Left of field thought, but have you tried contacting the committee directly?

DT

Yes, I did contact the registrar - I haven't heard anything back though. I also left a message on the Astrofest Facebook page.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:37 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Yes, I did contact the registrar - I haven't heard anything back though. I also left a message on the Astrofest Facebook page.
I tried through Facebook too - no response.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:59 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

The tone of this thread is pretty dissapointing. Astrofest is run by a group of volunteers. They put a lot of their own time into organising and running the event. In my experience as a committee member the event just broke even and relied on the proceeds of the raffle to do so. Perhaps the critics would like to volunteer to arrange the event or if that is too big a commitment then how about volunteer to clean the shared bathrooms during the event. Just saying it is time to put things in perspective.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:13 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Good to hear - might have been worth including that in your original post for clarity. Have you asked your association/society if they've heard anything officially?

Nonetheless, I agree with Peter's sentiments.

DT
Old 08-03-2021, 10:10 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Good to hear - might have been worth including that in your original post for clarity. Have you asked your association/society if they've heard anything officially?

Nonetheless, I agree with Peter's sentiments.

DT
Currently not a member of any society although I should alter that this year I think.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:45 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

I find it hard to believe nobody on the committee has seen this or any of the fb messages to the AF site.

What’s the problem with just saying yes it is happening or no it isn’t? If it is in June, registration should already be open so I guess it is looking unlikely but to just not let people know seems odd and out of character for the much looked forward to event.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:34 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Ok so have some information to share finally.

Should AF happen it will indeed be between the 3rd And 13th June as previously stated.

Belinda, the manager is actually leaving her post in April so not sure who would be running the show by June.

The current Covid rules prohibit more than two people per bunk room (I am told) and that means there is a question mark over it happening at all. If it does happen it would of course limit numbers attending and how places would be rationed hasn’t been decided or even discussed yet.

The committee I believe haven’t met yet to discuss all the details.

In summary, it has NOT yet been cancelled but nor is it happening, definite.

I’d put it at 50/50

Last edited by OneCosmos; 14-03-2021 at 01:00 AM.
Old 27-03-2021, 02:40 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
The tone of this thread is pretty dissapointing. Astrofest is run by a group of volunteers. They put a lot of their own time into organising and running the event. In my experience as a committee member the event just broke even and relied on the proceeds of the raffle to do so. Perhaps the critics would like to volunteer to arrange the event or if that is too big a commitment then how about volunteer to clean the shared bathrooms during the event. Just saying it is time to put things in perspective.
Why is the tone disappointing? Everyone, including me, is most appreciative of the committee for giving up their time year after year to make the event happen but I don’t think anyone thinks the commitment comes with the caveat ‘if I can get around to it’. You’re either agreeing to do it or you’re not. Where was the email or post explaining everyone is too busy and if you want it to happen then step up and volunteer? What were the astronomy clubs doing to help the committee? Who was bothering to inform people that it was looking unlikely?

I am disappointed but my post isn’t. I’m sure lots of people have wondered why there has been no information put out, I was just the person who asked.

I have now spoken to Tony and, pretty much as we can already guess it is extremely unlikely to happen - perhaps even a definite cancellation and that is perfectly fine. There is a website there is a Facebook group and yet not a word to say unfortunately people are too busy to organise it this year and with Covid too we’re just not going to bother this year.

Anyway, all good. Now I know I’ll stop asking.
Closed Thread