Old 24-10-2013, 11:57 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Post New Vixen VSD100 Apo

Vixen will be releasing their new f3.8 100mm apo astrograph very shortly. It's been designed to cover 645 medium format chips with a completely flat field.

http://www.vixenoptics.com/refractors/VSD.html

Just ran those specs and the specs for a Pentax 645D camera through CCD Calc. At approx 40MP for the chip, the image scale is 3.25arcsec/pixel with an FoV of 6.5 x 4.9 degrees. You could take the NA, Veil or Rosette in one shot of the FoV (and then some), or just about the whole of the Vela SN, LMC or M31 in the one frame for each individual target. With a medium format camera, the FoV is so large it would be impractical to shoot anything but the largest targets or ultrawide field panoramas through the scope. M16 just looks like a red smudge at those specs With an FLi Proline 8300, you could just about get the HH/Flame/IC434 and the Running Man/Orion combo in on one FoV. You wouldn't want to go any larger in camera size than that, I feel.

It would be a nice scope to own, however, you would have to be careful in your choice of camera and not go overboard with it. Otherwise you'll be left squinting at multiple targets spread right across your FoV.
Old 24-10-2013, 12:05 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

It will be coming with an 0.79x focal reducer and 1.58x tele-extender as well. So, you'll get a range of fl from 3 to 6 by adding either one of these to your image train.
Old 24-10-2013, 01:49 PM
astroboy

I wouldn't like to be the first to try one after seeing there last effort at taking on the FSQ106 , it was called a DED but turned out to be a DOG even after going back to Vixen for "repair" .
You can get a reducer for the FSQ106ED that covers 645
Old 24-10-2013, 02:56 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

You must've got a bum scope, but that's unusual with good Vixen scopes. What was wrong with it? You know, it could've been the name..."DED"

We'll just have to see how this one turns out. If it turns out as good as they say it will, it might give the Tak a good run for its money
Old 24-10-2013, 06:10 PM
gregbradley

Sounds interesting. As usual the weak spot of fast scopes seems to be the focuser. Even the venerable FSQ106ED has a weak spot there.

So that would be the first thing to check out on it. Of course that assumes a heavy camera weight.

Greg.
Old 24-10-2013, 06:28 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
Vixen will be releasing their new f3.8 100mm apo astrograph very shortly. It's been designed to cover 645 medium format chips with a completely flat field.

http://www.vixenoptics.com/refractors/VSD.html

Just ran those specs and the specs for a Pentax 645D camera through CCD Calc. At approx 40MP for the chip, the image scale is 3.25arcsec/pixel with an FoV of 6.5 x 4.9 degrees. You could take the NA, Veil or Rosette in one shot of the FoV (and then some), or just about the whole of the Vela SN, LMC or M31 in the one frame for each individual target. With a medium format camera, the FoV is so large it would be impractical to shoot anything but the largest targets or ultrawide field panoramas through the scope. M16 just looks like a red smudge at those specs With an FLi Proline 8300, you could just about get the HH/Flame/IC434 and the Running Man/Orion combo in on one FoV. You wouldn't want to go any larger in camera size than that, I feel.

It would be a nice scope to own, however, you would have to be careful in your choice of camera and not go overboard with it. Otherwise you'll be left squinting at multiple targets spread right across your FoV.
How about APS sensors. DSLR, QHY?
Old 24-10-2013, 09:24 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
I wouldn't like to be the first to try one after seeing there last effort at taking on the FSQ106 , it was called a DED but turned out to be a DOG even after going back to Vixen for "repair" .
You can get a reducer for the FSQ106ED that covers 645
I dunno, my DED108SS really seems to sing, and I have not fully gotten to grips with her yet.

Single 200 sec sub using an OLD SBIG ST-8XE. CCDInspector says for most subs a 6.1% curvature, with min. FWHM's well below 1.0.

This was just a trial run of the scope/cam combo. Wasn't trying for anything earth shattering, just sorting out things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B33 SBIG DED.jpg)
108.8 KB80 views
Old 24-10-2013, 09:32 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

My Vixen "classic" duo - DED108SS and FL102S. Both perform better than my piddly skills can extract from them.

Maybe I got lucky with my DED108SS, as I bought it from the collection of a Vixen dealer. I did have to tweak the objective collimation a tiny amount (yes, I did it myself just yesterday!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sisters.jpg)
192.0 KB92 views
Old 24-10-2013, 11:55 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheshire View Post
How about APS sensors. DSLR, QHY?
Just a matter of the attachment you use. It shouldn't have any problems with them.
Old 25-10-2013, 07:18 AM
astroboy

The problem with the DED I saw was with CA on a OSC camera it showed stars as looking like trafic lights , I've never seen CA like that before , it may have been a bad sample , sounds like yours is working well in Ha have you tried it with a OSC camera ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I dunno, my DED108SS really seems to sing, and I have not fully gotten to grips with her yet.

Single 200 sec sub using an OLD SBIG ST-8XE. CCDInspector says for most subs a 6.1% curvature, with min. FWHM's well below 1.0.

This was just a trial run of the scope/cam combo. Wasn't trying for anything earth shattering, just sorting out things.
Old 25-10-2013, 08:54 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

With a faulty OSC, yes (it was having issues well before I got the DED). I trialled LRGB with it (with a near full moon, so just trialling) an no "traffic lights".

It is EXTREMELLY sensitive to focus errors (MICRONS!) and each side of focus shows airey discs really quickly and evidently.