Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Craig_

M8 with the Esprit 120

With the clear nights in Sydney last weekend I got to spend some time on M8 with the Esprit 120. I have finally gotten my OAG working and the improvement in guiding performance was I went from average RMS of around 0.9" to 1.1" or so with plenty of differential flexure to about 0.4" - 0.5" with no flexure. Good times Still got a few kinks in the guiding to work out but nothing that seems to materially impact images - I had to discard very few subs from this

About 110 * 180s lights for a bit over five hours
Darks
Flats
Dark flats

Esprit 120
ASI533
EQ6-R
Optolong Extreme
ZWO OAG
ASI290MM Mini
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M8-900px.jpg)
172.7 KB211 views
Old 30-05-2021, 08:08 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Craig,
That’s a beautiful M8 indeed , you certainly captured some data there
Great detail and colour
It’s a shame your ASI533 has a smallish sensor size ( 11.3mm x 11.3mm ) as you couldn’t quite frame the whole nebula in the image ( or did you crop some edges ? )
I use a 2600MC with my 8” and 6” newts , same EQ6-R mount , the 2600MC has a 23mm x 15mm sensor and I can capture the whole nebula with some interstellar background around it with both scopes
FOV in arc minutes = camera sensor size in mm ( width / height) x 3460 / scope focal length . You can work out whether you can frame your targets with your set up and this FOV equation before your choose them or know what to expect. Bintel has a FOV calculator as well
Still a fantastic image
Well done !!
Martin
Old 30-05-2021, 08:11 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Nice one Craig!!! heaps of fine details in the cloud especially the ridge in the bottom 1/4 !! The dark clouds are spot on and sharp as anything and so are the stars.
A real difference with a refractor and astro cam compared to a Newt with a DSLR!!
One of the the better Lagoons I've seen!!
Well done

Andy
Old 30-05-2021, 08:14 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Craig,
That’s a beautiful M8 indeed , you certainly captured some data there
Great detail and colour
It’s a shame your ASI533 has a smallish sensor size ( 11.3mm x 11.3mm ) as you couldn’t quite frame the whole nebula in the image ( or did you crop some edges ? )
I use a 2600MC with my 8” and 6” newts , same EQ6-R mount , the 2600MC has a 23mm x 15mm sensor and I can capture the whole nebula with some interstellar background around it with both scopes
FOV in arc minutes = camera sensor size in mm ( width / height) x 3460 / scope focal length . You can work out whether you can frame your targets with your set up and this FOV equation before your choose them or know what to expect. Bintel has a FOV calculator as well
Still a fantastic image
Well done !!
Martin
Thanks Martin. Yes, with the 120 it won't fit in the frame. There wasn't much of a crop of the object here, I just cropped it down from square to 5:4 format which I think presents better for this object. It's funny though, for M8 I actually greatly prefer the tighter-in view. I imaged it last year with the Esprit 80, which easily fits the whole object into the frame, and I actually ended up cropping it down to pretty much this exact FOV Naturally I now have considerably more detail than I was getting by cropping away so much of the Esprit 80 frame though.

I find with a lot of objects I prefer seeing a closer view than fitting the entire thing in, but it does depend on the object. I usually use Sky Safari to check out framing with my gear and pick between the Esprit 80 and 120.
Old 30-05-2021, 08:18 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
Nice one Craig!!! heaps of fine details in the cloud especially the ridge in the bottom 1/4 !! The dark clouds are spot on and sharp as anything and so are the stars.
A real difference with a refractor and astro cam compared to a Newt with a DSLR!!
One of the the better Lagoons I've seen!!
Well done

Andy
Thanks Andy. The seeing was good the nights I imaged this, especially the 2nd night when I got most of the data, so it is crisp indeed.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:37 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

A rather interesting processing, tiny stars and the hourglass well blended in, a nice result…. Going to have to give one of those extreme filters a try.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:13 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Working well. Very smooth and tight. The original detail comes through the processing admirably.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:05 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

A truly superb M8. Top shelf.
What is this doing in the beginners forum?
Old 06-06-2021, 02:36 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Beautiful shot, I agree with Marc, too good to be posted here. Love the colour and sharpness, processing also has been tastefully applied, great job Craig!
Old 09-06-2021, 08:00 PM
Craig_

Cheers all!