Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-04-2015, 01:12 AM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

Spectacles

I need to wear glasses while observing due to astigmatism. I don't have the cash to get something like Televue DIOPTRX lenses and upgrade all my eyepieces etc, but if I do, I'll go that way.

But in the mean time, I'm just wondering if there is any real difference optically between getting lenses done at the discount "buy one pair, get one pair free!" type places and the more up market chains and boutiques.

Yes, I know designer frames cost a lot, but they're not in the optical train. I don't care much about that.

Can you buy better lenses, with better polish, transmission, superior reflective coatings etc? The discount chain stores only really offer a choice between refractive indexes and therefore lens thickness. There's no option to check for better anti-reflective coatings...

Travis
Old 17-04-2015, 09:00 AM
garymck (Gary)

I've always worn specs for observing (severe astigmatism). I have never been able to tell the difference between cheap or expensive specs at the eyepiece. I remember years ago when you ordered specs, they would be at the opticians in a couple of days. Now it seems that 2 weeks is the usual. I suspect that most of the optical work is now done in china and couriered here.

Just for fun I once got a pair of prescription sunnies from one of the online stores for $40 delivered. They were as good as my $300 "aussie" ones. I also had "high quality" anti reflection coating fail at 18 months, only to find they were guaranteed for 12 months - this on a $600 pair of specs in 2000!!!

I now go for the cheapest I can get that look halfway decent.

FWIW
Gary
Old 17-04-2015, 06:10 PM
DavidLJ (David)

Have you considered asking your optician to make you up a small lens that corrects for your astigmatism and which he can then install into an old filter housing (a cheap filter could be sacrificed for the purpose)? It can then be screwed onto your eyepiece which can be rotated in the eyepiece holder until it matches your astigmatism problem. That way you can view without using your glasses at all. I did this very successfully when using a f/10 'scope.
Old 17-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Mokusatsu (Australia)

How did that go with respect to chromatic aberration, reflections etc?
Old 17-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Hoges (John)

I've had my last several pairs from Zenni Optical - I think my multifocals cost me around $60 delivered. That's with hydrophobic/oleophobic and anti reflective coatings (and the 'extra strength' costs). Probably $400 locally. Optically, they seem fine (I've got bad astigmatism too). Zenni frames are certainly of lesser quality than I've seen at my local optometrist, but hey, for $40 - $60 a pair..... The oil resistant coatings are absolutely brilliant for ease of cleaning. I think the coating is getting less effective now, but that's 24/7 wear for a few years so no complaints there.

I have sanded down old lenses into circles to fit into eyepieces - it works but it's a bit of a hassle. These days, I just make sure I have eyepieces/binos with 17mm or more eye relief and keep my glasses on. Never noticed chromatic aberration with eyeglasses, but I think the anti reflection coatings are a must. The quality of the lens seems pretty good compared to the $300 plus I've paid locally in the past - coatings seem fine on the Zenni's too. Have no intention of ever paying $300 again for specs.