ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-11-2012, 07:17 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

20D extream modding

Heya guys I have just got my hands on a canon 20D with only 4773 clicks going by the hex edit trick on the raw cr2's. I still have my 1100D http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=88886 in the works but due to constant usage and being the only astro modded camera i haven't had the chance to TEC cool it yet. I scored the 20D body only for $120 and want to see how far i can take it modding wise.

Plans are as follows.

*Re-housing
*Stripping of non needed components while still functioing vai backyard eos
*MC clear t-thread cell for front housing
*IR filter removal for total spectrum
*TEC cooling cmos below dewpoint
*12v to 8.1 stepdown for powering camera and TEC via the one input
*intergration of usb hub for n3 shutter-serial-usb and camera usb 2.0 for single usb cable

I will get some photos up of the victim before i start having my way with it rofl. I guess the first part will be building a serial shutter cable or stripping down the camera and find what it will function without, if i fry the camera the projects over though so fingers crossed. Ripping the cabel off from here anyhow http://www.beskeen.com/projects/dslr...r_serial.shtml
Old 17-11-2012, 01:43 PM
LightningNZ (Cam)

Let us know if it's possible to relocate the sensor closer to the front of the camera. I have a lens that I want to use but I can't reach focus even with a low profile adapter. Given that the lens is worth way more than the camera it's now worth my while to tear the camera apart and rebuild it like you're doing but also with the sensor relocated.
Old 18-11-2012, 01:38 AM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningNZ View Post
Let us know if it's possible to relocate the sensor closer to the front of the camera. I have a lens that I want to use but I can't reach focus even with a low profile adapter. Given that the lens is worth way more than the camera it's now worth my while to tear the camera apart and rebuild it like you're doing but also with the sensor relocated.
Is it a sigma lens? might wanna ask the guys in the photography section before going to that extreme lol.
Old 18-11-2012, 07:14 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Anyhow a few quick pics, only got time to take the rear housing off today and need to grab some solder wick when I get a chance. Hmm a Sony LCD in a canon camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0548.JPG)
65.9 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0550.JPG)
128.3 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0551.JPG)
127.0 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0552.JPG)
131.1 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0554.JPG)
101.8 KB38 views
Old 19-11-2012, 09:12 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningNZ View Post
Try a 2 x Barlow or move your mirror up the focal path if you want to maintain the mag ratio. Had to do it to my Newt to bring it into focus. I suspect moving the CCD forward within the camera body is lot harder to do.
Old 19-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I did a "FULL full" spectrum mod on the 1000D (both filters removed) and found focus problems with standard Canon lens.
The answer in my case (for EF lenses) was to add an Astronomik MC (clear) clip in filter.
Now I can use the standard lens with a grating for objective "prism" spectroscopy.
Old 19-11-2012, 02:05 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Cheers Ken for the heads up, this thing will be riding strictly prime focus though. I have never done any spectroscopy before but it would be nice to give it a go, i can use a mild IR/UV for neb work.
The 1100d I modded kept its LP filter and i only removed the IR cut, strange enough the LP is pretty much the same spec as a baader IR U/Vwhich keeps it from full spec work but makes a great cheap camera for imaging nebula. I also found auto / manual focus works great still maybe this is due to the Pentamirror instead of a real Pentaprism. For a cheap prime focus use camera the 1100D rules, it feels like canon made this model for us lol.
Old 21-11-2012, 11:32 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Camera carnage - way to go! Look forward to the images.
Old 25-11-2012, 05:27 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Will be fun man but also doing the 1100D now, though only dropping the orig housing flash and LCD. To much on the go not enough time haha.