Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 25-06-2021, 08:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Jeez Alex ... you going Jodi Foster on us?
Sorry Hans this is entirely lost on me...I did not even know who Jodi Foster was..I looked her up but I could not find anything we had in common that stands out to me. I dont follow actors or movies so I am at a disadvantage here.
Is she getting into radio telescopes or have cancer perhaps.
Alex
Old 25-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Sorry Hans this is entirely lost on me...I did not even know who Jodi Foster was..I looked her up but I could not find anything we had in common that stands out to me. I dont follow actors or movies so I am at a disadvantage here.
Is she getting into radio telescopes or have cancer perhaps.
Alex
Sorry Alex ... I get carried away and not realize that not everyone is passionate or au fait on movies.

Jodie Foster (Dr. Ellie Arroway)>Movie Contact>Arecibo Puerto Rico

Well that joke went South fast ... it worked for the Thread on the demise of Arecibo.
Old 25-06-2021, 08:55 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Radio, who's going up the towers with the cables? Or are we talking ground dish?

What about Spectral Analysis? Probably a bit cheaper and just as useful.

Steve
Old 25-06-2021, 09:01 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Sorry Alex ... I get carried away and not realize that not everyone is passionate or au fait on movies.

Jodie Foster (Dr. Ellie Arroway)>Movie Contact>Arecibo Puerto Rico

Well that joke went South fast ... it worked for the Thread on the demise of Arecibo.
I know of the movie and now rolling on the floor.
Alex
Old 25-06-2021, 09:22 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

Radio, who's going up the towers with the cables? Or are we talking ground dish?

What about Spectral Analysis? Probably a bit cheaper and just as useful.

Steve
We are talking small potatoes ...a ground dish...but all this will be taken care of by my assistant who has already had a dish, ...and probably has the required equipment laying around...I dont know anything about it at all but in the short discussion yesterday I feel we can do something ground breaking and win a Noble Prize ...seems rather easy but still worthy of my time.

Spectral analysis??? Yes why not.
Alex
Old 25-06-2021, 09:48 AM
glend (Glen)

Alex, astro supplier Primaluce provide a solution:

https://www.radio2space.com/product/...dio-telescope/

It is designed to sit on an astronomy EQ mount (like an EQ8)

Old 25-06-2021, 10:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex, astro supplier Primaluce provide a solution:

https://www.radio2space.com/product/...dio-telescope/

It is designed to sit on an astronomy EQ mount (like an EQ8)

Thanks Glen
Yes I know of this product and I suppose what we have in mind is something like that ... I am thinking a couple of satellite dishes on an old eq6 which we can build this afternoon with whats laying around.
From what I understand you can do a lot with a little compared to years ago...anyways I could not finish the conversation with my "new assistant" yesterday as we were driving home from the medical stuff and went thru a dead zone...I was too busy when I got home to continue the call and he is working today..but its all happening...the main thing is I now have someone to help set up the RASA and work on the grounds etc to get things back to the way they were...and he can fix the shed and instal the 24 volt electricals and the solar panels I have here...all ambitious and stupid given my future but the only way to win is to continue as if I will still live forever...I am so lucky to have someone like this available ... Well I am so lucky with everything when you think about it. And my lady friend in the other place is coming for a visit this afternoon the queen of alternative medicine and I expect she will cure me by Monday to be ready to take delivery of the Astrograph.
I may even visit the observatory today as I actually had breakfast and feeling terrific.
Alex
Old 25-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Constant (David)

Alex,

Your post brought some light into my day, thanks for sharing!
We're blessed to have a passion that lends itself to thought experiments & let's be frank, some engineering daydreaming. Note, daydreaming is vital, it sustains us, stretches our planning skills. The greatest of projects depends on the germination of "seeds of ideas"
Alex, the best post I've read in an age.

David
Old 25-06-2021, 12:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

David thank you very much I appreciate your kindness and honestly I get such a lift when I hear I have made someones elses life happier by simply sharing my thoughts and plans.
Anyways I have been very slack as I have just been playing guitar since my last post..I just picked it up and started an improvisation that just kept going and going..I was chatting with Glen yesterday and he reminded me about using an amp but as could not do that and as Glen also mentioned "headphones" I thought well why not..now I had the guitar amp and headphones handy but I really needed to test the battery in the amp..that put me off but I look up and can see sitting outside sitting on the table with a Raven either side the multimeter so ...lets get off our but and go get it...so I grab the new flash walking stick that has its own little stand and think.."lets take this little baby for a spin and see what it can do" ..very impressed it handles great..so I go out, the ravens leave, and I get the multimeter...mmm this battery won't do..there are two in the draw..the first no good at all..but the last one full charge..see how lucky I am, I just cant lose, ...put it in the amp and after a while find a setting that sounds terrific and then this lead just comes along..it really was brilliant and really such a pity that I did not record it to share it with the world...but its probably gone forever.
Anyways how nice to put down the guitar come back here and find such nice words..thank you David, thank you so much.
Alex