Old 24-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Rick101 (Rick)

Filter Drawers

I've just placed an order for a couple of 2" filters that will be used on my dob.

So, I'm looking to purchase a ZWO filter drawer which seems to be a great bit of kit allowing the eye pieces to be changed without having to swap the filter.

I thought it would be great to have the second filter already fitted to another filter drawer so it could easily be inserted into the body of the unit without having to unscrew the existing filter and screw in another, something I anticipate to be a bit of a pain to do at a dark site location. But, it doesn't seem ZWO offer replacement/spare drawers to have them pre-loaded and ready to go.

How does everyone get around this or do you just change out the filter on site as you need?

TIA for any help.

Cheers
Rick
Old 25-06-2020, 03:50 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi rick i have filter drawers and cases for each individual filter (LRGBHSHO).
i think it would be a real PIA to thread in a filter everytime. you wont be able to do it without getting thumb prints etc on there.

I use Teleskop Express ones https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...terslider.html

I haven't seen the ZWO ones hopefully they're a bit cheaper.

cheers
Old 25-06-2020, 04:56 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

You can get very similar (the same?) sorts of filter sliders with multiple drawers on Aliexpress for not a lot of money. I opted for a 4 slot 2" filter slider, which works a treat.
Old 27-06-2020, 10:48 PM
Rick101 (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
hi rick i have filter drawers and cases for each individual filter (LRGBHSHO).
i think it would be a real PIA to thread in a filter everytime. you wont be able to do it without getting thumb prints etc on there.

I use Teleskop Express ones https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...terslider.html

I haven't seen the ZWO ones hopefully they're a bit cheaper.

cheers
Thanks for the link mate, some great drawers in there! I expect it will be a PIA moving them between eye pieces on site. Having them housed seems like a great idea!
Cheers
Old 27-06-2020, 11:09 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

The one advantage with the zwo option is it's exactly 21mm so it replaces the 21mm spacer, I wish zwo did make spare filter holders they'd make a killing
Old 28-06-2020, 08:08 AM
SteveInNZ

If you go onto the ZWO order page for the filter drawer and click the down arrow next to "choose an option", you'll be overjoyed with what you find.

Steve.
Old 28-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
If you go onto the ZWO order page for the filter drawer and click the down arrow next to "choose an option", you'll be overjoyed with what you find.

Steve.

Thanks for the heads up Steve this must be new as they haven't acknowledged this on their facebook page just ordered 3
Old 29-06-2020, 09:32 AM
Rick101 (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post

Steve.
Thanks mate, this is exactly what I was hoping to find! They seem to have stock of the 3 x filter holders but the complete drawer system will have to be back ordered.... will probably place an order all the same.
Thanks for letting us know!
Cheers
Rick