Old 29-04-2021, 11:52 PM
Constant (David)

12" RC (GSO) f8

What's been the experience with the GSO 12" RC (solid tube)? I've looked about the place, the only solid reference .... TS Optics.
Are any Icer's using the solid tube format GSO RC?
Any information, experiential reports would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Old 30-04-2021, 05:11 AM
glend (Glen)

The steel tube RC 12 is known to be susceptible to temperature changes (thermal equilibrium) which will affect focus. I had a RC 8" and it would exhibit focus shift due to temperature changes.

TS still sell carbon tube upgrades, if you really have to have a tube 12" RC. It might be cost effective to just buy an empty carbon tube ( bored for GSO 12" components), and then buy the 12" RC from Andrews here in Oz. Shipping cost for TS, for a complete RC12 would be significant ( add GST), but a bare tube should be cheaper all around. If they still sell them.
My overall experience with GSO RC is that they are a budget scope, Don't expect Planewave quality, they are a project.

On checking, I see Andrews in Sydney are selling the 12" steel tube RC for $1699, which is very cost effective compared to price history on this model ($2500), and may show it is not a popular buy. If you had it in an observatory, and we're content to allow significant temperature equalization time, and used a focus motor system to refocus for temperature variations, then it seems like a good buy, to me.
I assume you know this is an imaging scope primarily, there are better choices if your visual. Finally, it is heavy, being steel, so you will need a significant mount, one capable of imaging with a minimum of 25kg load.

Update: just checked with TS, they still offer the 12" GSO bare carbon tube upgrade for 748 Euro, but shipping cost would add 190 Euro to that, if you choose that path.

If your just starting out with imaging there are better choices, like fast Newts.

Last edited by glend; 30-04-2021 at 05:49 AM.
Old 30-04-2021, 09:56 AM
Constant (David)

Glen,

Cheers, hugely helpful head's-up. Greatly appreciate the through answer. I've an EQ8 so weight isn't a huge issue.
"Project" describes all my Astro buffoonery, if I'm not breaking it, I'm modifying it, or simply looking at the thing.
I'd hate to contemplate the ramifications of a Planewave falling into my hands.
Given the circumstances the GSO 12" RC maybe a reasonable match.
Glen, very helpful
David
Old 01-05-2021, 04:14 AM
Jussi

I had the 12” Carbon tube and it was eventually enhanced with better main mirror support. Optics are very good, I cannot tell any difference for my Planewave 17” CDK, perhaps due local seeing not so good. Of course Planewave has bigger corrected field and better mechanics, but If I could now choose. I would kept the GSO.

In my blog you can find out what I did to this GSO 12” CF tube model: https://astro.galleria.fi/blog/
Old 01-05-2021, 11:15 AM
Constant (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I had the 12” Carbon tube and it was eventually enhanced with better main mirror support. Optics are very good, I cannot tell any difference for my Planewave 17” CDK, perhaps due local seeing not so good. Of course Planewave has bigger corrected field and better mechanics, but If I could now choose. I would kept the GSO.

In my blog you can find out what I did to this GSO 12” CF tube model: https://astro.galleria.fi/blog/
Jussi,

Extraordinary! Though in fairness I'm a bumbler-fumbler and your work exceeds my aspirations. Your comment re Planewave should be taken in context, your experience at Astrophotography delivers competence that I have only in dreams.
Jussi, love your blog, sumptuous is an apt adjective. Unfortunately I've a degenerative neurological and can't travel, O' how I wish I'd seen Finland before falling ill, your blog get me close.
Cheers
David Duffy