Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-01-2022, 06:37 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Size of Philips screw driver for collimating a c11

Hi can any one help tell me the best size Philips screw driver for collimating a celestron 11. I’m not interested in bobs knobs and am happy to stick with the Philips screws .
Regards philip
Old 21-01-2022, 07:54 PM
astro744

Likely Phillips #1 maybe #2. You could replace with socket head if not with Bob’s knobs. Some users report stripping the Phillips and prefer socket head screws but you will then have to match the thread, pitch and length. Not sure if it makes collimation any more or less sensitive.

Phillips #0, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 are useful for many other applications. You can get shorter or longer handle versions. Note there are also Pozidriv that looks like Phillips. Search online for images and you’ll see the difference.
Old 22-01-2022, 05:33 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ash View Post
Hi can any one help tell me the best size Philips screw driver for collimating a celestron 11. I’m not interested in bobs knobs and am happy to stick with the Philips screws .
Regards philip
Hi Philip,

If I had to guess, I would say that there's a 95% chance it would be a Phillips #2 screw head given that it's likely to be an M3 or M4 thread used for "regular" adjustment on a not too small object.

BTW, even though you don't want to change to a knurled thumbscrew, like a Bob's Knob, you could try using a socket head capscrew as a sort of half way house, as it would allow some hand adjustment like a thumbscrew as well as adjustment with a suitably sized Hex/Allen key for about 50 cents.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1-4-20 Socket head Capcrew.jpg)
6.2 KB1 views

Last edited by JA; 22-01-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Old 22-01-2022, 11:48 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

This is a link to a Celestron webpage titled "What are the sizes of collimation screws on Current-production Celestron optical tubes"?

https://www.celestron.com/blogs/know...-optical-tubes

Cheers

Dennis