Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 25-05-2021, 05:09 PM
Startrek (Martin)

ZWO EAF 5V electronic focuser

Does anyone use the ZWO EAF electronic focuser in their imaging rig ?
I’ve heard they work pretty but would like to hear opinions from folk who use them
My existing JMI moto focus are no longer made so I’m looking for a reliable replacement which is lightweight ( 200 grams or so ) and is compact , the ZWO EAF ticked all the boxes
I currently use a handcontroller with the JMI and the ZWO EAF has a very nice looking handcontroller
I have GSO dual speed crayford focusers on my newts and I know the ZWO EAF is not a proprietary fit but I can fabricate a bracket to allow it to fit.

Appreciate any replies or comments
Thanks
Old 25-05-2021, 05:40 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I use it on my rig along with the asiair pro, it works flawlessly, I do use it in conjunction with the temperature sensor, the asiair and the eaf work together flawlessly giving you full autofocus, if you use it with the hand controller or any of the asi software it's just as good.
I use it on my moonlight focuser after making up a bracket to fit.

I did sell the moonlight motor focuser because I prefer the whole asi system.
the only drawback is there is no physical manual over ride you have to use the hand controller.

Last edited by Nikolas; 25-05-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 25-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Zuts

I have an EAF and I am happy with it. It gives good focus on both an EDGEHD 9.25 and on an ESPRIT 120 using the ASIAirPro.

I am not a fan though on attaching to the fine focus pin as with the handconroller this is a lot of pressing if you are out of focus by a lot. For visual though it may be Ok as there is not much change of focus position between eyepieces.

Cheers
Old 25-05-2021, 06:34 PM
AdamJL

I looked into it, but I'm going to get the Pegasus Focus Cube because the ZWO just had a couple of small issues (one mentioned by Zuts)
Old 26-05-2021, 06:52 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Gents
I can only fit the ZWO EAF to the normal focus end as it’s the end to expose the shaft , you can’t use the fine focus end on a GSO due to the bearing and short shaft. I’m assuming the ZWO EAF has a very fine focus when switched to slow ?
Also my existing stereo cord is 4.5m long so I’m assuming the handcontroller will still operate at that length? The one on their website looks only 2m long so at 5 volts it could be an issue ?
I will be using a USB phone charger to power my ZWO EAF using a 5m long USB2 cable
Await your replies
Thanks again
Old 26-05-2021, 07:40 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I cant comment on the hand controller as I did not buy one, and I have the older 12V powered unit on my Stellarvue. I have no complaints at all about my EAF. It works perfectly well and repeatedly. Backlash seems to be quite small and is easily managed with a couple of hundred steps compensation (Compensating both for the EAF backlash and any in the rack and pinion) If I had kept my SCT I was thinking of replacing the Celestron focus motor with another EAF as the Celestron lacked a temperature sensor.
Old 26-05-2021, 09:10 AM
Zuts

I agree with Paul. I get fine focus with the EAF on the shaft end of the Edge and the Esprit.

I compensate for backlash using the AsiAir Pro. Not sure you can set backlash when just using the hand controller as it is a software setting, but I dont think it would cause an issue.

The handcontroller i have and it works fine, however again i am not sure you can set a different fast and slow without resorting to software and you may be limited to whatever is programmed into the handcontroller. I can't comment on the 4.5 m cable as I only use the one supplied. From your signature I see you are only 12 km away from me in Glebe, so are welcome to come and try on mine if you like.
Old 26-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks for the advice and info
I think it should work fine on my rig
It’s a shame about JMI , they sold their interest to Farpoint Astro in the US. Farpoint still sell the JMI focusers but only a limited type for mostly Meade etc...
not GSO
I use ZWO cameras so I suppose buying the EAF keeps it all in the family

Thanks again all for your responses
Much appreciated
Martin
Old 26-05-2021, 04:16 PM
RyanJones

Hi Martin,

I have an EAF on my rig. It comes with 4 different couplers, none of which fit the shaft on the GSO focuser. I drilled out the next size down to suit. They use a grub screw to pin to the shaft so if you just wind the grub out then drill it and then tighten up onto the shaft it works perfectly. The size does make it a little awkward to form a bracket to suit but it’s not impossible. Mine is bolted to the OTA next to the focuser body. I run mine through the ASIair too so despite having a hand controller for it, I’ve never used it.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 26-05-2021, 04:40 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Hi Martin,

I have an EAF on my rig. It comes with 4 different couplers, none of which fit the shaft on the GSO focuser. I drilled out the next size down to suit. They use a grub screw to pin to the shaft so if you just wind the grub out then drill it and then tighten up onto the shaft it works perfectly. The size does make it a little awkward to form a bracket to suit but it’s not impossible. Mine is bolted to the OTA next to the focuser body. I run mine through the ASIair too so despite having a hand controller for it, I’ve never used it.

Cheers

Ryan
Ryan,
Thanks for the first hand tip
I haven’t decided how I will mount it but at least I know can mount it from the OTA
Great advice !
Cheers
Martin