Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 15-05-2021, 10:50 AM
h0ughy (David)

How can you more accurately track the moon without guiding?

Was wondering if the losmandy Gemini v1 can more accurately track the moon without just leaving it in lunar mode?

For that matter the same would apply to my eq8?
Old 16-05-2021, 07:07 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

EQMod for the EQ8 has lunar tracking mode.

I’m not sure if Gem1 does...but you can change the tracking rate in Gemini.net control panel.
Old 20-05-2021, 05:53 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve been using EQMOD for quite a few years now for Goto and Nav and the lunar tracking rate works well on the moon ( I’m still using a DSLR for lunar and planetary imaging with BYEOS on planetary mode as my capture software )
A skywatcher EQ8 mount will run on EQMOD together with your planetarium like Stellarium or CDC . I use Stellarium which again it very accurate)
Old 20-05-2021, 08:43 AM
h0ughy (David)

Probably left it too late to learn how to do everything Now but will keep it in mind
Old 21-05-2021, 05:17 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Probably left it too late to learn how to do everything Now but will keep it in mind
Dave, if you’re using the handset on the EQ8, doing a GOTO to the Moon will automatically select Lunar tracking rate.
Old 21-05-2021, 07:18 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Dave, if you’re using the handset on the EQ8, doing a GOTO to the Moon will automatically select Lunar tracking rate.
i have placed all my eggs on the titan50 basket at the moment in the dome, however i am willing to travel west if need be to get clear skies so would use the eq8 then if that was the case
Old 26-05-2021, 09:11 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Did a couple of tests last night both guiding through a finder with a lodestar/phd and lunar tracking rate. I decided to use the lunar tracking rate. The moon is moving a fair bit over the fov from beginning to end just before midnight and passing the meridian when it exits the penumbra. Conditions and elevation are actually ideal for this one. Not unlike the 2014 one.

I'll be using a SONY NEX-5 on the FSQ106N with a tilt of -20 degrees on the CAA. The moon travels between Jabbah and Psi Ophiuchi so hopefully you can see the three stars around Jabbah at totality.

I'll be using 30s intervals and whatever ISO/exposure time suits the shot. From the last one in 2014 I find that 30s gives you plenty of time to refocus and recenter if needed in between.

I also found it difficult to focus at totality so it's best to focus while it's still bright and there are visible features on the disc.

From experience exposures were varying from a few 100ths of a second up to 5s during totality. This one's shadow is barely grazing the limb so I reckon the bottom of the moon might still be pretty bright or there will be some kind of gradient and a brighter part at the bottom.
Old 26-05-2021, 12:00 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

Thanks for the tips. I made a time lapse video from the last lunar eclipse, using 60 sec intervals. That seemed to work well also.

Philip
Old 26-05-2021, 12:43 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Found the old thread of the last one in 2014 where I posted some exposure times if it's of any use (broad guideline)
Old 26-05-2021, 11:16 PM
astro-smart (Dale)

A good polar alignment and stacked images for short times less than a sec should be plenty...