Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 06-07-2021, 08:31 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

StellarMate - anyone actually using it?

I have SM loaded on a Pi4. But I don’t actually use it. One of those “It seemed a good idea at the time” choices. I have struggled to connect it get the gear I use. And I find it a struggle to do things that other programs do easily. And yet, despite this, I am reluctant to give it up entirely. I wonder if there are others who do astrophotography with SM and how well they feel SM facilitates it.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:21 PM
starspoon (Mark)

No I haven't, but Pi4 good for other applications.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:51 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I use Astroberry myself which is the free version of INDI developed by the same person as Stellarmate. I carry out my own support, but Stellarmate should have its own.
So far I have no issues. What I have found though if you get it stable then there is no need to update the software.

On the other hand, I use my own Focuser that is not supported directly and I prefer to update myself. I sometimes have to re-install the focuser application, otherwise, it works well.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:52 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

One thing I really like about the Raspberry Pi is that I removed the drive and put in another one to test other products if I want.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:57 PM
Greg Bock (Greg Bock)

trying to use it, but it's not the most intuitive software I've ever used...quite a struggle in fact, and the tutorials on the Stellarmate website are not that helpful. . Anyone here used it with an Android and knows some good tutorials?

As a comparison, the ASI Air Pro software is a breeze, pity its limited to ZWO products (plus Canon/Nikon cameras)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:03 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I use it, have it on an RPi4 and am overall very happy with it.
I can now select a target, platesolve, guide, autofocus, expose a sequence, change filters, meridian flip(unattended) and continue on etc.
it’s taken a little while to get it all up & automated, and while it doesn’t love my microtouch focuser and Tak NJP mount, it all still works while I’m warm indoors & sleeping.
The developer Jasem is very helpful & responsive too.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:51 PM
Spartacus

Hi Peter,

I have been using KStars/EKOS/Indi on a 8Gb RPi4 which is the same as Stellarmate for years. Currently, the functionality is very good especially now as the internal guider uses multistar guiding and the internal solver has been re-worked and is very quick. So I no longer use ASTAP as solver or PhD2 as guider. The polar alignment routine is also very accurate now.
I have used it with EQMod mounts, Astro-Physics and iOptron CEM40. All work well now.
Provided you stick to stable versions and avoid the nightly builds that are more for testing than regular use you should find it pretty useful.
I run it all remotely from indoors by wifi using NoMachine to run the Pi at the telescope. Images are captured locally at the Pi onto a External hard drive. The Pi now boots from an external SSD and is more responsive and the 8GB Pi4 has no issues with running out of memory.
I would not use anything else!
The Indilib forum is very helpful.

Mike
Old 08-07-2022, 03:44 PM
generalzod (Stan)

I'm new on the hobbie of Astronomy/Astrophotography Ive set up a rig simmilar to this one from Cuiv Lazy Geek,

https://youtu.be/0JdtL950RjQ

I initiated a go and solve the telescope reaches its destination successfully, but fails to align, Is anyone getting the same issue or does it really matter.