Old 09-07-2021, 10:52 AM
srmnm (Will)

Processing UX Questions

Hi All,

I'm in the midst of writing some astrophotography software and interested to get some opinions about the complexity of your processing workflow and specifically whether or not it needs to be as complex. I have my own preference on how to process my data, but I understand that this is not a reflection of the community. If you could copy and paste into the reply and give me your thoughts Id be very grateful!!

1) Calibration

A. Would you like the ability to use a pseudo flat-frame, whereby vignetting and dust-motes can automatically be detected and corrected? (If it does a good job that is!)

B. Would you like the ability to have your darks & bias (even flats) loaded once into an in-software 'calibration library' within the application and you can simply select them at application run-time, rather than running around disk to looking for them every time?

2) Blink & Bad sub-exposure removal

A. How about after we calibrate our frames we have a single button to blink the frames, rather than once again selecting from disk?

B. And perhaps a little AI to detect those frames [damaged] with satellites, clouds and meteoroids with a single button to send them to the graveyard?

3) Auto-Histogram Stretching

When stretching your FITS file, would you prefer I) a simple auto 1-click and done II) the ability for extreme finetuning start to finish III) somewhere in between, 1-click and then simple finetune?

4) Wizard Process

Do you prefer a guided process/wizard or do you prefer running manually? (Calibrate -> Align -> Discard bad subs -> Stack (-> LRGB Combo) -> Final Tuning)

5) Palette Combinations

Do you want the option to see your image in multiple pallets with one-click? I.e. Hubble, CFHT, True Colour, the other less common ones...

6) Social Media

A. Do you look at Astrophotography images on social media?
B. Do you ever post your content to social media?
C. What is your preference for astrophotography social media platforms?
[Please Rank] Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, Facebook, Astrobin, Tumblr, Snapchat...

7) Plate-Solving & Annotating

A. Are you interested in identifying and/or annotating objects of note in your images?
B. In order of importance, can you please list your preference on objects?
[Please Rank] NGC/M/C objects, Named Stars, All Stars, Satellites, Asteroids/Comets, Spacejunk, other

8. Software/Service Commercials

A. Would you prefer offline, online or mix of both software?
B. Would you prefer longer trial with higher price or short trial with lower price?
C. Would you prefer once off payment or subscription service?

9) User Experience

A. Would you like to be able to write your own add-ons or don't care?
B. Would you be interested in beta-testing?
C. Is there any other information/features you'd like to share that has not been mentioned above?

Thank you so much for your feedback & interest!!
Greatly appreciated!!