Old 22-06-2022, 08:54 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

The Eagle has (nearly) landed

Last night there was a short break in the weather. I planned to get about 1 hour of Ha data on M16 but I mistakenly positioned the Heq5Pro mount in the wrong spot on the front driveway. When I slewed to M16 it sat right behind the neighbour's large Gum tree, so that idea fell in a heap. While waiting for it to clear the tree, I shot 30mins worth of Ha on M20. By the time M16 appeared, patchy high cloud was approaching from the west. I only managed 30mins on it before PHD could no longer hold on to the guiding star. These were shot with my 6 inch Newt and ZWOASI120MMS, both are the full frame - no cropping. By 1.30am it had clouded over completely, hoping to capture some RGB over the weekend but I think the cloud and showers are continuing for the next few days or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eagle_Ha.jpg)
145.5 KB93 views
Click for full-size image (Triffid_Ha.jpg)
151.0 KB77 views

Last edited by Mickoid; 22-06-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 23-06-2022, 07:38 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Mick,
Looks like that ha filter is doing it’s job, nice to see detail in the pillars - I like it.
What was the exposure for your subs and how are you finding manually focussing using the ha filter?

Very impressive mate.
Old 23-06-2022, 08:38 AM
JA

Well done Mick
They are perfectly sized targets for your ZWO120mms and 6 inch. You've captured some wonderful detail and from Melbourne no less!!!

Best
JA
Old 23-06-2022, 09:17 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great effort. You really have to grad what you can given the weather.
Another good add for the wonderful 6 inch Newtonian Telescope.
Alex
Old 23-06-2022, 10:07 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Mick,
Looks like that ha filter is doing it’s job, nice to see detail in the pillars - I like it.
What was the exposure for your subs and how are you finding manually focussing using the ha filter?

Very impressive mate.
Thanks Anthony, yep I'm having fun with this filter. These shots comprised of 3min subs @ gain 50 on this camera. Focusing is achieved by locating a relatively bright star first, crank up the gain and reduce the exposure to achieve a reasonably quick loop to notice the focus adjustments within a shorter period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Well done Mick
They are perfectly sized targets for your ZWO120mms and 6 inch. You've captured some wonderful detail and from Melbourne no less!!!

Best
JA
Thanks JA, the 7nm Ha filter virtually eliminates Melbourne's light pollution. The ASI120mm's sensor size probably crops M20 a little too tight to capture all the nebulosity, especially the blue reflection part. It does crop keeping the most interesting part of M16 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Great effort. You really have to grad what you can given the weather.
Another good add for the wonderful 6 inch Newtonian Telescope.
Alex
Thanks Alex, you've got to take the opportunities with the way the weather's been along the southeast coast of the country over the last 6 months or so. I have three telescopes, if someone said you can only have one, I'd probably keep the 6 inch Newtonian.
Old 23-06-2022, 02:21 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Looking good Mick.

Can't wait to see how they turn out with more data and all the colour channels in there.

Cheers,
V
Old 23-06-2022, 06:02 PM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

As newbie I am hardly qualified to provide constructive comment, however, I will say that I really like the detail, framing and contrasty images. But thing I really like, and you've just introduced me to this idea, is the use of a guide cam for mono imaging with great results ... I'm always learning! Thanks for sharing your excellent pics, Mick. Alex
Old 23-06-2022, 06:22 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Cheers Steve and Alex Steve, you may have to wait a while for the addition of some colour. Finding the appropriate night is pretty hard at the moment and I'll be using a OSC for it. I'll have to scale and rotate my RGB data to make it fit the Ha data. Alex, I'm glad I've inspired you to give the guide cam a go. They're cheap and crop smaller objects nicely. They sell used for under $200 now and at this time of the year, they stay nice and cool!