Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 29-06-2022, 06:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

VIews on moving folk into the the experienced section.

The quality of the images presented here perhaps suggests we need a system to have folk move into the more experienced section...this is not for me as I will never get to a point that has me leaving here...

However the problem I see is the high quality of images here must be intimidating to folk starting out...once if you had a ruff shot you could post it here make friends get advice and feel like part of the great IIS community...

Now those lazy damn moderators are too busy worrying about their day time jobs and spam to be called upon and seriously we should look for how we can help them rather than come up with more work for them.

So I ask how could we manage this and bring this section back to look like the beginners section and not the finalists in the Malins Awards...

I think maybe once a month perhaps in a sticky thread nominations are posted for folk to move up..it can be one winner or all the folk who should go..maybe one at a time to produce excitement...now although this seems like a good idea it may be counter productive causing folk to get even better...

Any ideas...but only while the clouds are here

Alex
Old 29-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Hey Alex,

I think that is a great idea. As a beginner myself, it is hard to know what is an experienced shot due to a lack of experience. Relying on the old hands and comunity to make that decision is a great idea.

Kind regards,

Dilshan
Old 29-06-2022, 09:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Glen I like being here for all the reasons you said but not everyone is like me and really try and do the right thing and you can see that in their images...however the issue I see that needs attention is to make the beginers section one where someone starting out can post and not feel out of place...heck the quality of images of late intimidates me so how will a new member or someone starting out feel..a little encouragement can be very helpful for folk starting out...I like to encourage people irrespective of the quality so they feel welcome. At the moment the standard has got very high if you are starting out.

I started this thread so beginers can make their comments ..we probably will just talk but you never know someone may have a good idea that works.

Alex
Old 29-06-2022, 09:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilsh View Post
Hey Alex,

I think that is a great idea. As a beginner myself, it is hard to know what is an experienced shot due to a lack of experience. Relying on the old hands and comunity to make that decision is a great idea.

Kind regards,

Dilshan
Thanks I don't know what counts for experience either but the longer I go and the more I learn the more I realise I know zip.

You put up a rather nicecimage recently and I expect a lot of folk starting out would think they can't post and meet your standard for example...I would like the beginners section welcoming to folk who have held their camera to the telescope and got a recognisable image of the Moon or tried their hands at a static tripod and a dlsr..I did try this recently both just to try it but in the hope it would encourage others to have a go and post...it is a lonely sport and personaly I will do what I can to encourage folk so they get to enjoy astro photography.

Perhaps we need a committee

Alex
Old 29-06-2022, 09:59 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks I don't know what counts for experience either but the longer I go and the more I learn the more I realise I know zip.

You put up a rather nicecimage recently and I expect a lot of folk starting out would think they can't post and meet your standard for example...I would like the beginners section welcoming to folk who have held their camera to the telescope and got a recognisable image of the Moon or tried their hands at a static tripod and a dlsr..I did try this recently both just to try it but in the hope it would encourage others to have a go and post...it is a lonely sport and personaly I will do what I can to encourage folk so they get to enjoy astro photography.

Perhaps we need a committee

Alex
Hey Alex,

I will take it as a compliment that you consider my image more than beginner. I was surprised at the equipment more than anything (dedicated astro camera and 3nm filters). Prior to this setup I was using an unmodified DSLR.

I will rely on your expertise and move future images to to the non-beginner section.

Will keep an eye on this forum and try to help any newcomers the same way I was helped on this forum.

Clear Skies,

Dilshan
Old 29-06-2022, 10:11 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

As a beginner myself - ie: inexperienced in astrophotography with dedicated gear - it can be a little intimidating seeing some of the images posted in this section. It does make me hold off on posting my not so good ones unless it's something I'm pleased with like my Helix Nebula from last week or some of the Ha I'm enjoying lately.

But then again, "beginner" doesn't always equal lower quality. Someone who has only been doing it for a few months may be somewhere where they can get great data which does help immensely with the end result, or have excellent post-processing skills learnt elsewhere. Should this force them out of the beginners area?

It's a very tough job to work out who is a beginner based solely on the work they have posted - quality of results doesn't always equate with experience. I would hate to be the one to have to tell someone to move their work simply because it "looks too good" despite what their level of experience may be.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 29-06-2022, 10:24 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Now those lazy damn moderators are too busy worrying about their day time jobs and spam to be called upon and seriously we should look for how we can help them rather than come up with more work for them.

Alex
I'm sorry Alex but you have a misconception about the IIS moderators.
Also, I'm not too sure what you'd call upon the moderators to do for you in this instance?

We do not have the 'power' to rearrange or create new sub-forums or change the structure of IIS.
That is reserved for the admin's only, Mike and mojo.

As moderators, we only have the power to make sure members adhere to the TOS Rules (as you've found out on numerous occasions in the past).

Everyone is free to post in whichever forum they wish, no one is stopping anyone from posting their images in the Deep Space section.

Nor is it our job to critique and judge whether an image belongs in the Beginner's Section or the Deep Space section.

Our job is to ensure that images of terrestrial objects aren't mistakenly placed in the solar section or the Deep Space section.
Or Solar images don't end up in the Deep Space section, etc.

If people want to post their work in the Deep Space section, they are free to do so.

Also, Mike has told the mods that 'Stickies' are to be kept to the absolute minimum so as not to clutter up the forums.

I hope that clears up for everyone what the moderators do on IIS

RB
Old 30-06-2022, 06:01 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
I'm sorry Alex but you have a misconception about the IIS moderators.
Also, I'm not too sure what you'd call upon the moderators to do for you in this instance?

We do not have the 'power' to rearrange or create new sub-forums or change the structure of IIS.
That is reserved for the admin's only, Mike and mojo.

As moderators, we only have the power to make sure members adhere to the TOS Rules (as you've found out on numerous occasions in the past).

Everyone is free to post in whichever forum they wish, no one is stopping anyone from posting their images in the Deep Space section.

Nor is it our job to critique and judge whether an image belongs in the Beginner's Section or the Deep Space section.

Our job is to ensure that images of terrestrial objects aren't mistakenly placed in the solar section or the Deep Space section.
Or Solar images don't end up in the Deep Space section, etc.

If people want to post their work in the Deep Space section, they are free to do so.

Also, Mike has told the mods that 'Stickies' are to be kept to the absolute minimum so as not to clutter up the forums.

I hope that clears up for everyone what the moderators do on IIS

RB
Andrew first I apologise that I have upset you, that was not my intention and my reference to moderators was no more than a jump off point to generate some discussion further I am sorry that my attempt at humour failed by trying to present a stereotypical view that many folk incorrectly hold about moderators.

My use of "seriously" is evidence that my introduction was light hearted.

If Mike does not want "sticky" we are bound by his wishes but that is a minor point.

To be clear I never suggested anyone is restricted from posting in the Deep Space section nor did I even hint at some future roll for moderators in some procedure that has not even been formulated that may result from the discussion I was trying to promote.

My post suggests that the prescence of high quality images could intimidate beginners from posting lesser work and certainly I feel that the section should be to help folk start to publish their efforts perhaps at a more humble level than the fine efforts we are currently privelled to see. That is a mere opinion and may be at odds to what others think who wish to see a higher standard in the beginers section.

Moreover it is my belief that change is not necessarily a bad thing if it does something to make the site a more attractive experience for members and perhaps helps expand membership which one could think is a benefit to the site owner and members and the good folk who support the site by placing their advertisement dollars here.

Although I sincerely appologise for upsetting you I really do think you over reacted and point out my post never was about moderators or how they should be involved in the matter at all...

Anyways I guess that ends the discussion and my efforts have proved a waste of time for not only me but everybody who decided to contribute.
Closed Thread