Old 02-07-2022, 07:10 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

M8 & M20 Widefield

This one is a bit of a dog's dinner. A combination of two cameras and three types of optics. Ha of M20 from a previous shot I posted using the 6 inch Newt and ASI120mms on the 21st June. Ha of M8 I shot on the 26th June with a modded Canon 550d on an Esprit 100 ( forgot to change the camera from JPEG to RAW! ) and finally some RGB with the modded Canon 550d on the 30th June with a 200mm Sun lens and 2X Kenko tele converter using a UVIR cut filter. The filter on the front of the lens kept fogging up with dew so I had to keep taking it off to defog it. The joys of astrophotography on a cold winters night! A bit of work making it all fit but it ended up being a reasonable widefield of the region under Bortle 6 skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M8&M20.jpg)
209.8 KB136 views
Old 03-07-2022, 09:10 AM
PKay (Peter)

Hi Mick

Have no idea how you put all that together

10/10 for effort
Old 03-07-2022, 09:37 AM
Cyberman (Rob)

I don’t know how you did it but that’s a great widefield of 2 beautiful objects, Rob
Old 03-07-2022, 01:41 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Thanks Peter and Rob. Stacking the captured data was done the traditional way using DSS and then image stretch and denoise in StarTools. Most of the work was done in Photoshop bringing in the Ha data to scale and rotate to fit the RGB widefield using Layers. Due to the fact I was only enhancing the nebulous areas with the Ha data, I just had to use small areas of the image to register the stars in M8 and M20 to fit manually. To be honest, the RGB background stars collected with the DSLR aren't the greatest quality but it was the easiest and quickest way to capture it before predicted clouds moved in. All in all, just another experiment on shooting techniques anyone can use with a bit of innovation. Good to think outside the square, it gives my aging brain some thought provoking exercise!
Old 04-07-2022, 12:24 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

A nice widefield - well done. Looks like M21 cluster in there as well. Cheers John W.

Last edited by John W; 04-07-2022 at 12:45 PM.