Old 14-09-2021, 02:22 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

jupiter help

Yoh
I have been collecting SERs of Jove and either doing PIPP-ASI 3 -registax 6 then topaz and PS 5.5
But I keep getting the pixellated appearance that is unpleasant-not smooth at all. Please tell me what I am doing wrong?
ASI MC colour 120mm C9.25'
thanks
graz
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20_38_13_AS_P85_lapl5_ap221_convjupe 2-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg)
38.8 KB91 views
Old 14-09-2021, 03:06 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

Try putting in a 2x barlow and cropping the AS!3 stacked image before going to Registax, that should help.

GlennB
Old 14-09-2021, 04:54 PM
DeepSkySlacker

jupe

Hi Glenn thanks- crop as in use PIPP?
Old 14-09-2021, 05:35 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Are you increasing the denoise settings as you push up the wavelet sharpening sliders in Registax?
The more sharpening you apply the more denoise you generally need.
Old 14-09-2021, 07:06 PM
N1 (Mirko)

What the others said. Plus, take more total frames in the raw video file if you can, then select a lower percentage of the best ones being used. You'll end up with more frames that are sharp(er) to begin with and the end result will need less sharpening which produces less artifacts. But - that's not actually a bad image there, and how much black you leave around it is a matter of personal taste. I prefer smaller images with more pop. But that's the visual observer in me speaking here. For editing though, I'd agree to cropping it down a bit in Pipp. Keeps the files more manageable too.

Edit: and yes, a 2x barlow maybe

Last edited by N1; 14-09-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 15-09-2021, 03:52 PM
DeepSkySlacker

jupiter

thank you all!
Old 15-09-2021, 07:17 PM
gb44 (Glenn)

Yoh
I crop in ImagesPlus but any that can do ought to be Ok.
Dont know PIPP... I'll check it out.

Have a look at WinJupos on youtube videos - its use gives incredible results.
Ive done it once.

GlennB
Old 16-09-2021, 06:45 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
What the others said. Plus, take more total frames in the raw video file if you can, then select a lower percentage of the best ones being used. You'll end up with more frames that are sharp(er) to begin with and the end result will need less sharpening which produces less artifacts. But - that's not actually a bad image there, and how much black you leave around it is a matter of personal taste. I prefer smaller images with more pop. But that's the visual observer in me speaking here. For editing though, I'd agree to cropping it down a bit in Pipp. Keeps the files more manageable too.

Edit: and yes, a 2x barlow maybe
When deciding on the number of frames to take, you should factor in the rate of rotation of Jupiter. The GRS for example scoots around in about 10 hours so you will get loss of definition with longer SERs. But using close ROI settings, you can generally get frame rates of 80 fps or better so a SER of 30 seconds will still get you plenty of frames and minimise smearing of detail. Of course you can use WinJupOS to de-stretch if you wish.
Old 16-09-2021, 08:06 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Something else to consider is that the smaller the ROI, the more accurate your tracking must be to avoid the object drifting out of the region. Otherwise you may have to continually adjust the position of the object to keep it centred in the frame. There's no problem in doing this, it's just a PITA.
Old 16-09-2021, 10:22 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Yes, a small ROI presents a challenge for a long focal length.

But there is an easy solution to this within. SharpCap which allows you to manually pan and tilt the ROI to keep the planet centred during the video recording. It is relatively easy to keep the planet centred. The only restriction is that the ROI needs to remain on the field of view of the sensor - not a problem, in my experience when using a small ROI. Alternatively, one can ask SharpCap to do this automatically. Firecapture has an equivalent option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Something else to consider is that the smaller the ROI, the more accurate your tracking must be to avoid the object drifting out of the region. Otherwise you may have to continually adjust the position of the object to keep it centred in the frame. There's no problem in doing this, it's just a PITA.
Old 16-09-2021, 03:06 PM
andyc (Andy)

Hi Graham, a few thoughts:
* With the 9.25 you can possibly manage a bit more image scale, maybe up to ~0.12" per pixel or so? But regardless of that:
* Using Firecapture (I don't know SharpCap) you can set a cut out around the planet, save huge amounts of space, instantly align on the planet, and help maximise the framerate if file sizes are the limiting factor (rather than planet brightness). Keep the histogram reasonably high, but with exposure <~15ms (ideally ~9-13ms), but don't massively overdo the gain for a high framerate - a balance is necessary.
* you can certainly do single video sequences of a minute or 90s or more without issue - longer if your image scale is smaller. Autostakkert's feature alignment easily corrects out rotation at your image scale. I image at about 0.08"/pixel and can get really hi-res on good nights with 60s videos, collecting up to 5-6000 frames per capture. More frames = lower noise of course, even if you only keep 25-30% of them.
* Gently balancing noise reduction and sharpening makes quite a big difference, whether in RS or postprocessing. E.g. if into photoshop, reduce noise before sharpening, as the sharpening process will enhance noise.
Old 17-09-2021, 10:36 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Nice shot. Yeah go for it and barlow the sh|t out of it.