Old 28-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Vermin (Tom)
Cloud dodger

Hutech Shipping costs

Anyone know the rough cost of getting one of the modified Canon cameras shipped out to Oz?

Also I assume neither the 350D or 20D can utilise the LCD for focusing, is this correct?

TIA,

Tom.
Old 28-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Volans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin
Anyone know the rough cost of getting one of the modified Canon cameras shipped out to Oz?

Also I assume neither the 350D or 20D can utilise the LCD for focusing, is this correct?

TIA,

Tom.
G'day Tom,

No idea on cost but you are quite correct about the 350D and 20D. You must use the veiwfinder to focus. However, if you do a quick exposure, then you can bring it up on the LCD screen and use the zoom button to see just how blurry/crisp the image is and take another shot if needed. The 20Da, I believe, does allow you to use the LCD screen to achieve focus but I wonder about the battery life when you do that.

Peter.
Old 28-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

I use the LCD on the 20DA to focus...it doesn't drain much power as you can achieve focus within 10 seconds.

1 battery last around 3 hours for me.

Yes the 20DA is the only camera that you can do this with.

When I purchased my camera from the states it cost me $90 USD using UPS express..that included some insurance cover.

Not sure how much Hutech charge.

bert would know he ordered his 5D from hutech.
Old 28-02-2006, 05:30 PM
h0ughy (David)

tornado33 ordered a 350d - Pm him and ask how much
Old 28-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Vermin (Tom)
Cloud dodger

I should stop researching this, the 5D noise level looks so low... but I can't see any way I can afford the standard one let alone a modified one. Still there's got to be something I can sell, all my Naglers perhaps? Nooooo....

I actually tried PMing tornado33 a few days ago, but no reply as of yet, which was why I wrote this thread.

Thanks for the replies folks, very informative - but as always answers raise more questions:

Can the 20Da be used for terrestrial photography, perhaps with a Hutech front filter? Or does the semi transparent mirror, or something else preclude this?

Cheers.
Old 28-02-2006, 10:20 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin
Can the 20Da be used for terrestrial photography, perhaps with a Hutech front filter? Or does the semi transparent mirror, or something else preclude this?

Cheers.
Here's a couple I took at Lostock in January with the 20Da , hope the guys don't mind.
The camera was just set to automatic and no post processing was done whatsoever appart from changing image size for the forum.
The reds look a little sharper than usual but I'm more than happy to leave them as is, I don't mind them at all. I don't see the need to use any extra filters for this camera.
There's some more I took from Lostock with the 20Da here...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...7233#post87233
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3567.jpg)
100.1 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3568.jpg)
97.9 KB40 views
Old 28-02-2006, 11:13 PM
avandonk
avandonk

The standard 5D in Aus will cost close to $5K Aus. The Hutech modded 5D is about $5.8K max including shipping and Customs & GST. If you consider Hutech will mod your camera for $700 US with no guarantee, buying one from them at least gives you a years warranty. With a Hutech filter can be used for ordinary daylight. Photoshop will also adjust quite adequately but its a pain.
It is about the same relativity for the 20DH or 350DH. You have to be very serious and dedicated (or mad!) to outlay that much money. I feel a lot saner since I saw Brad's setup.

Bert
Old 01-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Vermin (Tom)
Cloud dodger

Thanks for the sample 20Da daylight photos Andrew, looks to me like it could do with a VLC front filter.

Bert, I'd definitely go for a Hutech 5D if I could afford it. Whom is this "Brad" of which you speak?
Old 15-03-2006, 09:36 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

My 5D from Hutech with the exchange rate was $ 5,250
+ customs & gst $560.

Total $5810

Great service and prompt delivery.
Old 15-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Vermin (Tom)
Cloud dodger

I may be able to afford the 5D now, if I can hold out until May. Otherwise it's the 20D.

From what I've seen the low light noise levels in the 5D are considerably better than the 20D and it will be worth the wait and expense.

I'm just a bit concerned about the vignetting on the large sensor requiring cropping of daylight shots even with these ($$$) lenses:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (Refurbished)
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Lens