Old 19-01-2010, 09:29 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Pentax K200D: How bad is it?

I have never seen the raw images out of any other DSLR so I would like an opinion on the results that I am getting from my Pentax. I think I may be expecting too much but I am not overly impressed so far. Attached are two images taken last night. They are from the same frame. The first one is the jpg produced by the camera and the second a raw image that has been processed to bring out the detail (only some adjustment to levels and a small amount of curves). I used ICNR and an exposure of 10 minutes at iso 400.

From what I can see there are three main issues: low sensitivity, amp glow and banding. I think the maximum exposure with this camera is 5 minutes without the amp glow and banding becoming apparent. Certainly by 7 minutes it is too much. Are these issues normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1-800.jpg)
15.6 KB51 views
Click for full-size image (2-800.jpg)
25.1 KB64 views
Old 20-01-2010, 09:15 PM
OzRob (Rob)

If nobody has an answer can I ask people to post images from their DSLR with exposures of about 10 minutes at iso 400 with no processing? That way I can come to my own conclusion. Please state if you used ICNR or not and what camera you used.

Cheers
Old 20-01-2010, 10:32 PM
duncan
Duncan

Hi Rob,

I have not gotten into this field yet but may i suggest taking 10 shots at 4mins. and stacking rather than 1 long exposure. I have watched these type of threads for a long time looking for the HOLY GRAIL!!
But this seems to be the way.

From someone that DOES NOT KNOW THE WAY,LOL.
I've also had a few, QUITE A FEW,LOL,also i agree at 800 ISO
Cheers Duncan

Last edited by duncan; 20-01-2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Pissed and forgetful
Old 20-01-2010, 10:50 PM
h0ughy (David)

firstly the Pentax camera range isnt really up to deep sky long exposures. I own a K10D and have tried this. the banding is a worry - big worry. have you the latest firmware - and have you checked on the net if others have the same problem?
Old 21-01-2010, 12:32 AM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
firstly the Pentax camera range isnt really up to deep sky long exposures. I own a K10D and have tried this. the banding is a worry - big worry. have you the latest firmware - and have you checked on the net if others have the same problem?
Yes, I am coming to the same conclusion about this camera. It appears that Pentax is are known to be resistant to releasing firmware updats. There is no update on their website. A quick search did not come up with similar reports. I am starting to think that a OSC temperature regulated camera will be the solution to my problem.