Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 AM
benklerk

Lightstar meade

I have thought on going small first, just do visual work.
What do people think of the Meade LS. Looking at the 6" since it is small and easy to move around, depending on the weight might look at the 8".
What like to know if there are any issues or problems with the meade mount.
Also looking at doing short astrophotography work, moon and the Sun though a white light filter, and bright DSO objects.

So what are peoples thoughts for the LS is it a good invesment before going large.

Ben
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
gel

i have the 8" ls meade its great for easy setup/planetary observing, i enjoy its portability(rather light tho)if your in a good position youll be setup and observing within ten minutes.at f10 i find it a bit way out so ive put a focal reducer on mine, im still playing around myself and am not unhappy-gelg
Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Poita (Peter)

No real chance of any DSO photography work with that setup, but solar would be possible, though a refractor is better suited to solar work.
The moon and planets would be doable, but you will get rotation in the images, and the single fork arm at that focal length is pretty unstable.

A C8 on an equatorial mount might be a better starting point if you want a low cost system that can still do capable imaging.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM
tonybarry (Tony)

A GStar - EX would work quite well as a camera on that rig. Steve Massey and Steve Quirk have published a number of very acceptable images using the GStar and filters.

It's not the traditional way; but in many cases, tradition is not the only answer.

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 AM
benklerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
No real chance of any DSO photography work with that setup, but solar would be possible, though a refractor is better suited to solar work.
The moon and planets would be doable, but you will get rotation in the images, and the single fork arm at that focal length is pretty unstable.

A C8 on an equatorial mount might be a better starting point if you want a low cost system that can still do capable imaging.
I know that I am limited to about 60 secs. I don't mind doing a few 100 shots and stack them. All I am after is a telescope which it easy to move about. Easy to setup, and take simple photographs. In about a years time, I might look at getting a better mount. I still need to learn about astrophotography and improve. I don't need to spend about $4000 to 6000 yet. Is it better to start of simple then move your way up?

Ben
Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Poita (Peter)

How are you calculating that 60 seconds? And on what kind of objects and at what focal length?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benklerk View Post
I know that I am limited to about 60 secs. I don't mind doing a few 100 shots and stack them. All I am after is a telescope which it easy to move about. Easy to setup, and take simple photographs. In about a years time, I might look at getting a better mount. I still need to learn about astrophotography and improve. I don't need to spend about $4000 to 6000 yet. Is it better to start of simple then move your way up?

Ben
I agree that you don't need to spend that sort of money, but you would be far, far better off with a small refractor on an EQ6 than a lightstar if photography is what you want to do. And it will probably cost you less.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I think you will find that the legth of time you can image on an Alt Az mount will vary dramatically based upon the position of an object in the sky as well as the focal length of the scope.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hows about an ED80 on a HEQ5 ? , Probably the best set up for what you want to do and with the budget you have enough change left over for an Atik 314L from Andrews .
My thoughts on this ,
Brian.
Quote:

Ben
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Poita (Peter)

I'd second that suggestion, except I'd go the EQ6 as you would probably keep it forever and it is only a little more.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 AM
jamiep (Jamie)

I'd suggest a trip to a local astro club public night (or join a local club and go along to a few nights) - have a look through a few of the scopes and different types - and try to gauge an insight into what you might be interested in looking at - different scope types are good at different things... visual/imaging and planetary/widefield etc.

It's a good try before you buy, and may give you an idea of what you want to 'scale up' to eventually if at all.... but it would be hard to go past a eq6 pro and small refractor as a start point, with significant scope (excuse the pun) all the way into medium duty imaging... there are a lot of people on here doing some fantastic work with eq6pro's - great bang for your buck.

It's a bit of a leap from a drop and go meade lightswitch which has the advantage of requiring very little sky knowledge to get up and running and take a tour - but has some very big limitations towards imaging etc - and IMO will be quickly relegated to the corner if you want to take photos etc.

Jamie
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM
benklerk

I have ordered the LS 8". I have about 270 deg of trees. The only view I have is North. With is light and easy to carry it around, I can take it on holidays down to the Coast. I don't really have to focus on making sure that it is aligned. It least with the LS I can still view the nightsky and look at objects. At this moment in time, I am not ready for astrophotography, and I need to start somewhere. So In a year or two i will look at something suited for astrophotography.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Sweet , Hope you have a good time , as I know you will .... with this scope , Please post some photos and a bit of a review when you have had a chance to use it a bit , as I have not heard of one of these , here at IIS yet ? .
Brian.
Quote:
I have ordered the LS 8". I have about 270 deg of trees. The only view I have is North. With is light and easy to carry it around, I can take it on holidays down to the Coast. I don't really have to focus on making sure that it is aligned. It least with the LS I can still view the nightsky and look at objects. At this moment in time, I am not ready for astrophotography, and I need to start somewhere. So In a year or two i will look at something suited for astrophotography.